Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Did we really give away Stephenson for sfa?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:27 pm
Post subject: Did we really give away Stephenson for sfa?Reply with quote

I see that Jaidyn Stephenson had 33 disposals as a midfielder and was one of North's best 2 players.

Of course it's early days, and he may yet unravel down the track, but given our poor midfield performance (again/still), it's a kick in the gut to know we gave him away for donuts.

He is exactly the type of player we need. He has pace and X-factor in spades. Crying or Very sad
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we missing him? Last year may seem a long way off but he did nothing so I would say no. He played well as he should, he has a second chance to show us what he is capable of. I will see how he is going around Round 9. He has a five year deal at the Roos and I think his manager deserves a medal for getting that.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:50 pm

Short answer. Yes.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:20 pm

We've tossed many toys from the cot for disciplinary reasons over the present coach's journey. Stephenson obviously needed to go - the question is whether that was because our coaching staff are (still) useless at motivating people. Stephenson is a very good footballer, if he wants to be. He didn't seem to want to be one for us. That doesn't say much about him (time will tell, in that regard) but it raises more questions about the quality of our coaching staff.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
We've tossed many toys from the cot for disciplinary reasons over the present coach's journey. Stephenson obviously needed to go - the question is whether that was because our coaching staff are (still) useless at motivating people. Stephenson is a very good footballer, if he wants to be. He didn't seem to want to be one for us. That doesn't say much about him (time will tell, in that regard) but it raises more questions about the quality of our coaching staff.

Stop the press me and me ole sparring partner fully agree on this
Wayne Bennett the most successful coach in NRL history has said for a long time being a good man manager is just as important as being a good skills coach
All players are different and I’ve banged on before that we are a vanilla type of team
We don’t have flair or mongrel or that player who can just be free in the mind and go on gut instinct (since Swanny retired)
Any player who marched to beat of a different drum has been shown the door
We expect them to angels off the field and saints on it
Our team is the plain Jane of the competition
Everyone knows how we play and how to close us down
We don’t throw things up and move things around when we get behind
We have a A game plan and nothing else
Stephenson needed a boot in the ass no doubt but he should have copped that during the 2019 season and told get out there and freaking play football
Time will tell if lives up to his potential but he has speed and ex factor something we sadly lack
Rosolino_Leone 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Yep

It happened a few months ago...

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:42 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Wayne Bennett the most successful coach in NRL history has said for a long time being a good man manager is just as important as being a good skills coach
All players are different and I’ve banged on before that we are a vanilla type of team
We don’t have flair or mongrel or that player who can just be free in the mind and go on gut instinct (since Swanny retired)
Stephenson needed a boot in the ass no doubt but he should have copped that during the 2019 season and told get out there and freaking play football
Time will tell if lives up to his potential but he has speed and ex factor something we sadly lack

Agree Qld. Our robotic coaching regime is stifling any flair, any initiative, any adventure, any joy. We have become an automaton team, a defensive zombie set up, that all teams can predict, and therefore negate. No room for any creative energy, ie for players to deviate from the game structures which have been microchipped into their brains. We cannot cope with misbehaving, silly, 20 year olds with a dash of genius, because they cant be programmed. When you try to program them, as we did with Stepho, you get a demoralised, sad young man who you then condemn for being "soft". It will be interesting to watch the evolution of Adz and Flip as well.
In anser to the OP, yes we did give Stepho away for SFA. Yet another briliant achievement by all our coaches; Bux, Sando and Harves

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:04 pm

Remind me again how many wanted Stephenson gone after his betting “ misunderstanding “ ?
Nothing wrong with raising it as a topic after one game. 33 touches is a bloody good effort anytime ( = 530 metres gained ) but I’m happy to hold fire on the clubs decision until I see a bigger sample.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Well, "On the Couch" tonight surely was interesting. Did anyone else see it?

They basically identified Collingwood as being "in trouble". Problem areas identified were of course, the forward set up and the midfield, along with slow ball movement.

The stat was trotted out that Stephenson attended 10 centre bounces for North and had not been started in the middle ONCE in his whole time at Collingwood. In the absence of Treloar, they thought that Stephenson would've been more than an adequate replacement in the middle.

They argued that Coxy was being played out of position far too much, in that he often travels up the ground to be the kick out target coming out of defence. This means he cannot get back to full forward to be a target there, with the current speed of the game. Apparently Bucks justified this, but the panel said it was a mistake to use him that way.

Lastly, Gary Lyon brought up the hugs that our players enjoyed with Adz after the game. He interpreted this as the players saying they did not agree with the decision to shove him out. Riewoldt said the lack of niggle and pressure on Treloar was pathetic and questioned whether the players were given any direction from the coach to make him feel uncomfortable.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:15 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Yep. We stuffed up (big time) by trading Stephenson. Would have been better to have traded Buckley.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 pm

So it's open season on Collingwood, what else is new?

All ex players are superstars. Last year they were overrated hacks.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:01 am

First game at a new club is no different to your first date with a new girl.
You’re on your very best behaviour at the audition and from there on, it only goes down hill.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:19 am

NO other club wanted the little shit, only povvo Norf, so that tells me a lot about him, no power club would touch him, not one. I do hope he enjoys playing in front of bout 9000 people at Norf home games, from now on.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:35 am

Pies2016 wrote:
First game at a new club is no different to your first date with a new girl.
You’re on your very best behaviour at the audition and from there on, it only goes down hill.

Not sure about this analogy at all. Sometimes, the desire can actually inspire greater heights.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:36 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Remind me again how many wanted Stephenson gone after his betting “ misunderstanding “ ?
Nothing wrong with raising it as a topic after one game. 33 touches is a bloody good effort anytime ( = 530 metres gained ) but I’m happy to hold fire on the clubs decision until I see a bigger sample.

I didnt want him gone, and there were plenty who didnt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: