Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rebuild or reset ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind playing well or going into a rebuild effects talents decision in the draft. Like daicos...will he want to come to a struggling club? Or a rebuild club he will get lots of game time with
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:33 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It's clear to everyone that we don't have a team good enough to challenge for a flag this year.

Yes, but is it too much to ask for a finals birth and a chance to win at least 1 final?

Is that a stretch for 2021?

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:50 pm

The cap problems r huge, apparently we back ended Gordon Coventries contract, still has 3years to run.
Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:52 pm

Presti35 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
It's clear to everyone that we don't have a team good enough to challenge for a flag this year.

Yes, but is it too much to ask for a finals birth and a chance to win at least 1 final?

Is that a stretch for 2021?

What will that achieve? Look at the dogs. Midfield has twice the depth and class of ours. Forwards they have English Naughton Bruce etc. We won't compete with them for years. Need a rebuild. Problem is we have no good picks in 2021 and nothing to trade,hence it's 2022/23 for the draft.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:26 pm

Imagine finishing near the bottom and having no picks to show for it... Geez.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:56 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Imagine finishing near the bottom and having no picks to show for it... Geez.

It gets better though cause we also traded our 2nd round pick to Hawthorn.
As it stands right now, our first pick in the 2021 draft is effectively the bulldogs second round pick. We then follow up with three third rounders.
If Daicos goes BEFORE #3, on those picks alone, we would go into marginal deficit in 2022 ( according to my maths ) and then round off the night with two more very late picks, given that three picks is the minimum.

We need to remember that Collingwood chose to go really hard in the 2020 draft because they obviously rated it by having six picks before #40 odd.
Other than Daicos, they seemingly don’t rate the 2021 draft, so investing heavily in a draft you believe in makes more sense than participating in a draft you don’t.
Time will tell but if the majority of the eight new 2020 draftees ( includes two rookies ) go on to have decent careers, then the decision to turn their back on the 2021 draft is justified.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:03 pm

So bottoming out in 2021 would be pointless then?
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 pm

Presti35 wrote:

Yes because Bucks and co already sold the farm, arriving at market with a basket (case) full of broken eggs.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:27 pm

Presti35 wrote:

Yep, there is nothing to be gained from Collingwood bottoming out from a draft perspective.
The only thing worth barracking for is the Dogs to fall off the cliff.
I would also be hoping on the night that Daicos isn’t called out before pick three. From what I’m reading right now, Daicos currently looks like #2 or #3. It won’t stop us securing him wherever he falls but going into deficit at the 2022 draft is less than perfect. ( Keep in mind this is all before any trading of swapping of picks prior to the 2021 draft )
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:31 pm

Big T wrote:
The cap problems r huge, apparently we back ended Gordon Coventry's contract, still has 3 years to run.

In the running for post of the year.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:00 pm

I don't think we need to gut the list as I think we have a decent core but they're being poorly coached at the present time. There's obvious deficiencies that need addressing such as rebuilding our midfield and finding a strong key forward, which hasn't been achieved since Cloke's departure.

The more fundamental issues of the club goes beyond the playing list. We need to appoint a new president as soon as possible, overhaul the coaching personnel at seasons end and review the positions of our list management team who's recent work has been mediocre (i.e. Hine and Guy).

In the very short team, more youth needs to be blooded into the senior team rather than playing the same average players every week with no reward.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:11 pm

Our big, big problem is that Derek Hines rated Cox as our recruit of the decade, and overall he has been a big, big failure.

We then squandered valuable resources (picks and/or money) on Wells, Beams, Scharenberg, Freeman, Stephenson and (to a lesser extent) Mayne.

Overall, our list management has been abysmal. I know most Nicksters blame Bucks, but I honestly feel he's been dealt a dud hand over many years, by the unprofessionalism of our football department. Mad
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:14 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Our big, big problem is that Derek Hines rated Cox as our recruit of the decade, and overall he has been a big, big failure.

We then squandered valuable resources (picks and/or money) on Wells, Beams, Scharenberg, Freeman, Stephenson and (to a lesser extent) Mayne.

Overall, our list management has been abysmal. I know most Nicksters blame Bucks, but I honestly feel he's been dealt a dud hand over many years, by the unprofessionalism of our football department. Mad

Hine is overrated.

He's been living off his strong work from the 2000s and having the benefit of some good F/S and Next Gen draft picks.

I think his performance should be under heavy scrutiny.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:37 pm

Reset. Daisy Thomas talked on Triple M on his mate Pendles

He has the opinion (every one has a Collingwood opinion) that Pendles could play a role on half back line releasing Quaynor or Bruzz to a midfield role

Thoughts????

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:56 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Reset. Daisy Thomas talked on Triple M on his mate Pendles

He has the opinion (every one has a Collingwood opinion) that Pendles could play a role on half back line releasing Quaynor or Bruzz to a midfield role

Thoughts????

I've suggested him at HB before, but that was a year or two ago.. I think we can all accept that soon we'll need to consider putting him either fwd or back more permanently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: