Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rebuild or reset ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Does it really need to be asap? Question

I can't see it doing harm if it takes some time. What would the president do in the next few months?

Personally I think the club needs clarity sooner rather than later.

If we have a new President, we can better understand the direction the club will be going in under the new administration.

I could be wrong, but I don't think having instability and uncertainty at board level will be enticing for prospective players and/or coaches.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:12 am

After the last 2 weeks it is more clear to me that we need a reset. We got a spike by moving the deck chairs in the 1st qtr last night but we have many holes in our list that still need filling. I think we are naive that this will take only 3 years to be premiership contenders again.

Another 5 years with Bucks to see this through?.....nah

Start with getting Peter Murphy in as president and let Graeme Wright build a completely new football department, starting with a new coach and assistants While we are at it focus on recruiting and say goodbye to Ned and his mates.

Not sure about Kevin White other than I can’t understand any of the injury reports but if our injury profile doesn’t improve against previous years then he should be looked at as well.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:06 pm

J75, it seems to me that you're actually arguing for a rebuild rather than a quick reset. If you think we are 5 yrs away from being a contender, then surely that requires a rebuild.

To my mind, we are not that far away, if our new brigade of McCreery, Macrae, T. Brown, Kelly, Keane, Henry, Bianco, Murphy, Ruscoe and Rantall, all develop as hoped/expected. Granted that's a big 'if'. Even if 4 or 5 of these 10 become good best 22 players, we will be OK.

It also requires some innovation at the selection table, being brave enough to move Pendles and Sidey out of the midfield, allowing space for our new midfielders, including QUAYNOR, to be fast tracked. It also requires us to call the careers on Mayne and Greenwood, who continue to give their all, but are on their last legs and are holding back opportunities for our next generation of players. There will be short-term pain, but we've seen how the Swans laboured for just 2 yrs, before bouncing back this year into a top 4 side full of youthful exuberance. So, while it may indeed take us 5 yrs to re-build our side, I believe we can be a genuine force again in just a year or two. And then there's Nick Daicos. Cool

Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:21 pm

I agree rudey,
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:53 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
J75, it seems to me that you're actually arguing for a rebuild rather than a quick reset. If you think we are 5 yrs away from being a contender, then surely that requires a rebuild.

To my mind, we are not that far away, if our new brigade of McCreery, Macrae, T. Brown, Kelly, Keane, Bianco, Murphy and Rantall, all develop as hoped/expected. Granted that's a big 'if'. Even if 4 or 5 of these 8 become good best 22 players, we will be OK.

It also requires some innovation at the selection table, being brave enough to move Pendles and Sidey out of the midfield, allowing space for our new midfielders, including QUAYNOR, to be fast tracked. It also requires us to call the careers on Mayne and Greenwood, who continue to give their all, but are on their last legs and are holding back opportunities for our next generation of players. There will be short-term pain, but we've seen how the Swans laboured for just 2 yrs, before bouncing back this year into a top 4 side full of youthful exuberance. So, while it may indeed take us 5 yrs to re-build our side, I believe we can be a genuine force again in just a year or two. And then there's Nick Daicos. Cool

Hi rudey, based on Collingwoods draft success, the expectation would be for 1 maybe 2 out of 8 to be decent players. Not 4 or 5 . Unless someone replaced Hine with a competent lookalike.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:53 pm

Just play kids. No chance of a wooden spoon with North, so get 16 games into the new players and stuff the result.

Even put Grundy on ice for 2021 or reduce him work load to 30% game time and get Cox and Cameron carry the load.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:29 pm

Rebuilding can breed a losing culture. And that will take far longer to recover from.

Plenty of examples, Richmond for 30 years, Carlton since 2000, Melbourne since 2001 and now we'll see how long it'll take North to recover.

So be careful.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:53 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

To my mind, we are not that far away, if our new brigade of McCreery, Macrae, T. Brown, Kelly, Keane, Henry, Bianco, Murphy, Ruscoe and Rantall, all develop as hoped/expected. Granted that's a big 'if'. Even if 4 or 5 of these 10 become good best 22 players, we will be OK.

The list isn’t too bad but we are putting a lot of faith in the kids to be ready in 2 years. We might get lucky on a couple but as a collective it could be a bit longer. Agree we need to push the younger guys in the middle but there are other issues like replacing Roughead and Howe medium turn and getting a decent small forward that stays on the ground.

But this is our chance to reset and what I mean is more off the field and getting the brains trust that build the list and the coaching staff. We need to get the right players in for the positions we need filing and sometimes that means we pass on the next best or athletic type.

The current brains trust have made many mistakes and now that we are on a downward trend, it’s a good time for a real change. Without change I don’t expect much to be different.

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:41 pm

We have enough good players to be more than competitive but most are either in the wrong position or unable to break into the team because of lacklustre players who never seem to be dropped.
Murphy should be Maynes permanent replacement ASAP. We need to get games into him to see if he is any good. We know what Mayne gives us and it’s not much outside of a 15m radius.
Same with C Brown....should not be picked ahead of T Brown for the remainder of the year.
Those two changes alone would make us immediately better.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:44 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
The list isn’t too bad but we are putting a lot of faith in the kids to be ready in 2 years. We might get lucky on a couple but as a collective it could be a bit longer. Agree we need to push the younger guys in the middle but there are other issues like replacing Roughead and Howe medium turn and getting a decent small forward that stays on the ground.

But this is our chance to reset and what I mean is more off the field and getting the brains trust that build the list and the coaching staff. We need to get the right players in for the positions we need filing and sometimes that means we pass on the next best or athletic type.

The current brains trust have made many mistakes and now that we are on a downward trend, it’s a good time for a real change. Without change I don’t expect much to be different.

The list is decent, but has some key flaws that need addressing. Namely, it lacks leg speed in the midfield and we still haven't got a proper key forward that most top teams have.

The bigger issues facing the club are behind the scenes and at the coaching level. That's where brave decisions need to be made.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:07 am

We’re third last with this ok lost everyone keeps talking about...
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 am

RudeBoy wrote:
... So, while it may indeed take us 5 yrs to re-build our side, I believe we can be a genuine force again in just a year or two. And then there's Nick Daicos. Cool

If "genuine force" = "flag contender", a year or two sounds wildly over-optimistic.

And too much is being expected of Nick. Footy people compare him with Lachie Whitfield. If you put a fit Whitfield in the current side, what do you get? Not a flag contender.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:12 am

A root-and-branch rebuild premised on a no-limits club cleanout led by a power coach who won't tolerate fools at any level of the club. There's simply no choice after 20-year president and an unsuccessful 10-year coach. No serious coach or player will touch us with a ten-foot barge pole without a fresh start which culls anything and everything as required.

Without complete change that resets the entire club culture and draft/cap economics, we will remain locked in a cycle of paying overs for average talent as a least-preferred destination club. We're poison, and we need to face reality and change the underlying dynamics completely.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:15 pm

The reset has already begun.

I'd be surprised if there isn't any changed in the coaching staff and recruitment staff. I think we can expect that.

We have got young talent on the list; led by IQ and Daics. Our debutants this year are looking ok so far too. ​

A few changes by outgoing players and hopefully the addition of a quality free agent and good draft prospects including Nick Daicos. A few tweaks to the list and a new game plan and the reset is well on its way.

Sure, we wont be premiership contenders overnight, but we'll be putting our foot forward and looking at playing finals again very soon.

No "bottoming out", no ridiculous trading, and no losing mindset.
We dont want to get stuck in that trap.

Address the forward line first and foremost and go from there.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:33 pm

No it's going to have to be a full rebuild... a reset would only further delay our issues, give us no chance at a flag and put us smack bang in the same spot. I actually think we can't afford a free agent, certainly not one of quality... as for the draft, we'll get into that (other than N.Daicos) through trading players like JDG etc, otherwise were going to have to wait and tank.. wait and tank... how do you think we got Pendles and Daisy?

Look at what happened to the Saints after 2011 and it was clear they'd run their race... and don't think for a second that just because the name of our club is Collingwood we're immune to that - we're exactly where we should be, the club has played games and favorites for years and now we're going to pay, this is a professional industry... not a boys club. We're going to get exactly what we deserve ... i.e years in the wilderness - our only hope is to do things right... from now till forever more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9   

Jump to: