Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Keane Suspended. Tim Kelly not cited.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
For what it’s worth I didn’t think Kelly did anything sanctionable. It wasn’t a bump, but looked more like he was trying to avoid contact.

The Keane trip was a suspension every day of the week, though. No way he was going to get away with that one.

Agree with you 100%, but that doesn't suit the anti-Collingwood narrative where everything and everyone else is to blame.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:12 pm

David wrote:
For what it’s worth I didn’t think Kelly did anything sanctionable. It wasn’t a bump, but looked more like he was trying to avoid contact.

The Keane trip was a suspension every day of the week, though. No way he was going to get away with that one.

Butwhen sone one us seriously injured clumsy or not they usually gave a case to answer

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:28 pm

There's plenty of accidents that have ended up in fines/suspensions.

Round 1 Nik Cox fined for his bump and some wanted him rubbed out for a week, but because the player hit wasnt concussed MRO says no suspension.

I would have thought Kelly's was at least a fine.

Is there footage somewhere? Need to really see it again.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:11 pm

This is it here, Presti: https://www.afl.com.au/video/595060/de-goey-down-after-brutal-facial-injury?videoId=595060

I watched it myself a couple of times before posting – confirmed my initial instincts that there was nothing in it.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:33 pm

^

I disagree. He left the ground with both feet and collected De Goey right on the nose with his hip.

Now there was minimal force, but clearly enough to break his nose and concuss him.

Given the tendency of the MRP to cite players based on outcome not intent, that should go up.

Careless, medium impact (because of the outcome) and high. The head is supposed to be sacrosanct.

slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:43 pm

He left the ground which is the reason his hip was at the height of JDG head.
One aspect of the incident that has not really been mentioned is that ast the last second he actually moved towards De Goey which is why he made contact with his head.
If he had stated on his line, even in the air, he would have not caused as much damage.

Anyhow it’s good to know that you can now run directly towards an opponent who’s arms are pinged whilst being tackled and “accidentally” hit them smack bang in the head with no consequence.

So next time we play the Tigers, Greenwood can hold Dusty whilst Adams or Sier run past and give a nice “accidental” blow that concusses their match winner.

A precedent has been set by the AFL.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:26 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I disagree. He left the ground with both feet and collected De Goey right on the nose with his hip.

Now there was minimal force, but clearly enough to break his nose and concuss him.

Given the tendency of the MRP to cite players based on outcome not intent, that should go up.

Careless, medium impact (because of the outcome) and high. The head is supposed to be sacrosanct.

This is exactly how I interpret it!!

Plus, Kelly chose to bump (it was NOT accidental) and the AFL's dictum has been of late, that if a player chooses to bump, they have to accept the consequences. The fact that he launched himself off the ground to carry it out makes it even more citable. Such hypocrisy!!! Mad

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm

slangman wrote:
He left the ground which is the reason his hip was at the height of JDG head.
One aspect of the incident that has not really been mentioned is that ast the last second he actually moved towards De Goey which is why he made contact with his head.
If he had stated on his line, even in the air, he would have not caused as much damage.

Anyhow it’s good to know that you can now run directly towards an opponent who’s arms are pinged whilst being tackled and “accidentally” hit them smack bang in the head with no consequence.

So next time we play the Tigers, Greenwood can hold Dusty whilst Adams or Sier run past and give a nice “accidental” blow that concusses their match winner.

A precedent has been set by the AFL.

You're spot on with all of this slangman. However, it's obvious that the AFL changes its "precedents" on a whim. Mad

I wish someone at the club had the gumption to raise an objection with the AFL about the incident not being accompanied by a charge of some sort. (Not likely, I know).
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:17 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
political correctness rules the MRP too

Feel free to explain how it's PC to not suspend a player

Figure it out, some players are protected species, due to certain facts.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:02 pm

Some interesting observations from recent dates:

Kelly chooses to bump- leaves the ground to do so- contacts De Goey high- leaving De Goey concussed and unavailable for further participation in that game and the next.... NOT Cited

Keane- first-time offender- tripping- one match suspension.

Mitchell from Hawthorn was a serial 'drop-the-knee-into-an-opponent-on-the-ground' player. Did it many times with nary a warning...

Fevola used to bury his knee into the back of players filling the hole- never suspended...

MRP = a joke...

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:16 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Exactly this,

And also, yesit sets a dangerous precedent

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:19 am

David wrote:
This is it here, Presti: https://www.afl.com.au/video/595060/de-goey-down-after-brutal-facial-injury?videoId=595060

I watched it myself a couple of times before posting – confirmed my initial instincts that there was nothing in it.

I just watched that three times, bullshit nothing in it, he clearly jumped into DeGoeys face, it was dangerous, his feet were off the ground, and DeGoey is out for 2, so should he be

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:21 am

warburton lad wrote:
Some interesting observations from recent dates:

Kelly chooses to bump- leaves the ground to do so- contacts De Goey high- leaving De Goey concussed and unavailable for further participation in that game and the next.... NOT Cited

Keane- first-time offender- tripping- one match suspension.

Mitchell from Hawthorn was a serial 'drop-the-knee-into-an-opponent-on-the-ground' player. Did it many times with nary a warning...

Fevola used to bury his knee into the back of players filling the hole- never suspended...

MRP = a joke...

Yup

E 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:37 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

I just watched that three times, bullshit nothing in it, he clearly jumped into DeGoeys face, it was dangerous, his feet were off the ground, and DeGoey is out for 2, so should he be

although i agree with David that there should be nothing in it based on historical let them play football rules, we are not playing by those rules and therefore there is something in it.

There is a duty of care to protect the head. This is a classic breach of that duty no matter how unfair.

If you elect to bump, which he did, he has a duty to avoid contact to the head, and his culpability should be determined by the severity of the bump.

in fact, not only did he elect to bump and not tackle, he also left his feet (a no no - or at least it used to be).

It was forceful contact to the head. His intentions are supposed to not matter. Whether it was a "football play" is not supposed to matter as the duty of care requires him to "make the right decision for the protection of heads".

Now we can argue whether the rule is wrong (and many who dismiss the bump as nothing to see are clearly making a point about the rule).

what i think is not in doubt is that this was a clear breach of the rules in place.

I recall Greenwood copping a couple for something very similar to this a couple of years ago. A football play where he left the ground instinctively to bump and he concussed someone. A perfect football play, but he got time.

Its funny how there are different rules based on who did it, how the commentators respond after the incident and what day of the week it is.

The AFL is not a serious organization and the inconsistency on things like this is why it is considered a bit of a joke these days,

Its run by a bunch of Hawthorn/Geelong people who are intent on pretending we have rules when we are really running the comp for the benefit of their teams. They are determined to keep teams like the pies and the blues down. that's why none of this makes sense.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 am

Exactly this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: