Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brown brothers- fine wine or homebrand vinegar?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymour Butts 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:44 pm
Post subject: Brown brothers- fine wine or homebrand vinegar?Reply with quote

While it may be romantic to think the sons of a Collingwood great can carry on what the father started, sadly this notion does not apply to the two Brown brothers. Neither is able to dispose of the ball well by hand or foot. Their decision making is mediocre at best, and they are very slow (how often do they get caught with the ball?). Both are liabilities on the field
Neither will be anything more than a battler that is better served in a suburban league somewhere, rather than the AFL.
Isn't it time to cut these two loose so that two quality players who rely on ability rather than connections can make their way on to the senior list?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my feeling as well, but I keep reminding myself that I thought both Heater and Swannie were duds when they began their VFL careers. Embarassed
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:23 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
That's my feeling as well, but I keep reminding myself that I thought both Heater and Swannie were duds when they began their VFL careers. Embarassed

It only took Swannie 30 games. Callum's now played more than fifty. He's running out of time.

Tyler has time, but is caught in no mans land at 188cm and 78kgs. Too weak to be a midfielder, not tall enough to be KP player and not short enough to be a bulldozer.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Callum will always be a battler but Tyler will get better as he plays more games. The Clokes could all have been great players but only one really made it.

Give Tyler another 2 pre seasons and make a judgement then as he is a different player to Callum.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:43 pm

Quote:
Isn't it time to cut these two loose so that two quality players who rely on ability rather than connections can make their way on to the senior list?

Not sure if it's worth replying to someone called Seymour Butts who joined up today (don't feed the trolls) but what are you suggesting here?
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:11 pm

^^^
What, you think it might be a hack journo or a opposition supporter or something more sinister? Stiff bickies if he is.
All I can say on the matter is, go back Seymour and read all the pregame, post game, who to delist and who has the photos concerning Buckley threads and then you’ll get a consensus as to who and why.

Seymour Butts 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:01 pm

Everybody has to join the forum at some stage. Being a long term member doesn't impart more validity to any comment.
With a list as thin as the current one do we really have room for two more passengers?
This club will never be able to compete with those clubs that have a primary goal of winning flags until we become brutally honest with list management.
We seem to be more concerned with protecting mates and kowtowing to the woke brigade than winning premierships.
The "every child wins a prize" mentality will cement our mediocrity for a long time to come. Time to throw it out and get back to the ruthlessness of the Collingwood of old!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:48 pm

They’re not twins.
One has just turned 23 and played 50 odd games
The other is 21, played 12 games and is 189 cm.

We’re at the point we can start forming opinions on Callum but putting a line through Tyler right now is just folly.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:58 pm

Seymour Butts wrote:
Everybody has to join the forum at some stage. Being a long term member doesn't impart more validity to any comment.
With a list as thin as the current one do we really have room for two more passengers?
This club will never be able to compete with those clubs that have a primary goal of winning flags until we become brutally honest with list management.
We seem to be more concerned with protecting mates and kowtowing to the woke brigade than winning premierships.
The "every child wins a prize" mentality will cement our mediocrity for a long time to come. Time to throw it out and get back to the ruthlessness of the Collingwood of old!

I think it's the thinness of the list that makes us have to retain passengers. We don't have enough draft picks to replace every passenger, so the list cleanse has to take several years.

If we had prudent list management, perhaps we would have seen Callum delisted last year in place of a more promising rookie.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:36 pm

Tyler could be an A grader...No trouble.
Callum can't kick more than 30 m.
Running out of time....needs to be an inside mid.
Not looking that promising.
But he may come good.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:48 pm

Brown is being played badly out of position. He is, as masoncox says, an inside mid. He's being asked to sacrifice his entire game to apply forward 50 tackling pressure. It actually sickens me to see it. Maybe he won't be an AFL centreman - but I fear we might never find out. Our midfield is terrible. Adams (who occupies Callum's position) is missing and we're still playing Callum in the wrong 1/3rd of the ground.

Frankly, though, what really distresses me is people who want to defend the Coach blaming players for not starring when they are set up for failure in this way. It's actually such a dim decision to play Callum in the forward 50 that you have to wonder whether the people who make such calls are of normal intellectual capacity.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Brown is being played badly out of position. He is, as masoncox says, an inside mid. He's being asked to sacrifice his entire game to apply forward 50 tackling pressure. It actually sickens me to see it. Maybe he won't be an AFL centreman - but I fear we might never find out. Our midfield is terrible. Adams (who occupies Callum's position) is missing and we're still playing Callum in the wrong 1/3rd of the ground.

Frankly, though, what really distresses me is people who want to defend the Coach blaming players for not starring when they are set up for failure in this way. It's actually such a dim decision to play Callum in the forward 50 that you have to wonder whether the people who make such calls are of normal intellectual capacity.

You said it much better than me.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:15 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I think there is an echo in the room... a lot of this sounds vaguely familiar!!

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:46 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

Not sure if it's worth replying to someone called Seymour Butts who joined up today (don't feed the trolls) but what are you suggesting here?

Has been around for a while just different incarnations.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

Agree, P4S. Buckley is just destroying the confidence, development of our players by playing them in the wrong positions, and insisting that they stay there.
Just like he decides to play Daics as a defensive forward, when he had a breakout season on the wing.
The coach has no clue. He has an automaton approach based on statistics which does not correspond to a dynamic reality. I am so sick of how our coach refuses to let our players display their true talents, and clips their wings instead.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: