Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mark Korda (13th President)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
There will be an EGM.. be ready..

Yes, hope so.
Korda clearly has connections with Eddie, and this is precisely what we need to purge. We have the opportunity to do so now, so I agree Wolf. This is a turning point moment.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:28 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:

Yes, hope so.
Korda clearly has connections with Eddie, and this is precisely what we need to purge. We have the opportunity to do so now, so I agree Wolf. This is a turning point moment.

I'm not a big fan of the current board, however calling an EGM would be a huge mistake. Members choosing who runs the place based on, well what? Their gut instinct?

That would be disastrous.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:34 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Yes, hope so.

Korda and McGuire are not on good terms these days as I understand it. Apparently their relationship was strained at the end of his presidency.

I suspect McGuire would support the Browne camp if an EGM was triggered. I think an EGM would do serious damage, so we better tread carefully before doing anything dramatic.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:13 am

Jezza wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Yes, hope so.

Korda and McGuire are not on good terms these days as I understand it. Apparently their relationship was strained at the end of his presidency.

I suspect McGuire would support the Browne camp if an EGM was triggered. I think an EGM would do serious damage, so we better tread carefully before doing anything dramatic.

As I hear it it was Korda and Murphy who strongly suggested to Eddie he fall on his sword before a vote of no confidence was placed at Board level in his presidency
Browne is a serious friend of Eddie and a well known Buckley supporter
For mine a change is needed
Paul Luirca is on the board and will oversee all things football on behalf of the board which isn’t a bad thing
Korda will be a behind the scenes style president in many ways
He’s best assets is governance, financial acumen and dealing with the big end of town
Buckley’s comments yesterday that he wouldn’t be skew king to Korda in regards to his position speaks volumes of what is happening at the club
You don’t have to be Einstein to figure out that Wright has been handed the keys to the kingdom (as reported by me 2 weeks ago)
I posted at the time round 10 was the time when steps would be made if things didn’t change and the main issue wasn’t win losses it was player/coach relationships which aren’t perfect after the Treloar fiasco
I posted at the time all levels of the football department have been placed on notice
Guy, Hine and recruiters futures hang on the ability of our recent draft picks making a impact on the team via performance considering what we gave up to get them and having no 1st round pick this year
You will see these kids given every opportunity to impress

Personally I see a new coach and assistants for 2022 and changes in retention and recruitment with Wright taking a lot of responsibility for drafting and trading in the coming years

For me candidates will not be former Collingwood players or people it will likely be people like
Steven King
Adam Kingsley
Nigel Lappin
Sam Mitchell
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:27 am

For me candidates will not be former Collingwood players or people it will likely be people like
Steven King
Adam Kingsley
Nigel Lappin
Sam Mitchell

Based on?

I've heard a snippet of Mitchell coaching and he sounded calm lol almost too calm... also I've met him once and he has zero love for Collingwood, so if he did come it would be based solely on ambition and $$$.

Never heard of any of the other 3 names associated with coaching?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Another good piece in The Age by Jake Niall.

Quote:
How Korda became Magpies president and Eddie’s shadow

As late as Wednesday morning, a number of Collingwood and AFL insiders believed that Peter Murphy, the businessman with strong backing from club staff, would be the board member who would replace Eddie McGuire as club president.

Murphy is closely aligned with former Copeland Trophy winner Paul Licuria, through shared business interests, and on the Collingwood board, and was certain to have the support of Jodie Sizer, Collingwood’s Indigenous board member who had been instrumental in the delivery of the “Do Better” report that found systemic racism at the club.

But whereas Murphy had become a Hamlet-esque figure in terms of the Collingwood presidency - unwilling to commit to decisive action and take power - his fellow director and interim “co-president″⁣, Mark Korda, had coveted the presidency for some time.

If Korda fell short of Macbeth in his ambition, it was clear to those within Collingwood - and people of influence outside - that he wanted the gig more than Murphy.

Murphy, who had presided over a largely successful review of Collingwood’s operations in 2017 and then served as interim chief executive, had the advantage of better rapport with staff and noteable past players and, as a more recent director, carried less baggage with supporters - many of whom expressed dissatisfaction with Korda on social media, due to his 14 years on the board.

There had been underlying tension between McGuire and Korda at board level and it was ominous that, by Monday, as the Magpies had vacillated about their leadership, Eddie’s long-time consigliere, the ex-AFL lawyer and deal-maker Jeff Browne, had his hand up to take over the presidency - backed by the influential former premiership player and Nathan Buckley’s manager Craig Kelly.

On Monday, Browne had been in touch with Christine Holgate, the departed Australia Post boss, who had been given responsibility for sourcing two new board members. But the process for assessing board members had closed by then. Browne was deemed too late - at least this time.

Collingwood’s indecision about the presidency had created a power vacuum and where McGuire had been bellicose and omnipresent in media, the co-presidents were silent, leaving Buckley - who mightn’t be there next year - to be the club’s public face.

Korda, the receiver who’d made his name by picking up the broken pieces of Ansett, could count on the support of billionaire Alex Waislitz, a staunch supporter of McGuire throughout Eddie’s presidency, and Holgate.

If there had been a vote, the numbers, according to various club sources, would have been 3-3 on the six member board.

But late on Wednesday, Murphy made the decision to withdraw from the race and not contest the presidency. No vote would be necessary, the incoming board member, VRC chairman Neil Wilson, would not be called upon to to break a deadlock.

McGuire continues to cast a significant institutional shadow over Collingwood, in the same manner that Kevin Sheedy and John Elliott did at Essendon and Carlton respectively after marathon stints, albeit McGuire left Collingwood in far better shape than Big Jack; despite the fallout from the trading period firesale and Do Better, the Pies are fiscally robust.

The push for Browne might or might not have McGuire’s input, but it was inevitably seen by Collingwood people as a way of Eddie’s influence lingering at the club that he had transformed over 23 years and then left, abruptly.

Knowledgeable Collingwood sources doubt that an extraordinary general meeting, as cited in the media, is a likely consequence, even if Korda falters - McGuire having argued against an EGM on Footy Classified. What is far more feasible is that the current board members who face election this year are challenged in the event that the Pies continue to struggle on-field.

Korda has been lumbered with some serious headwinds in the short-term. The Pies are 1-4, injuries have exposed their depth - particularly in a threadbare midfield. They wouldn’t want to lose two out of their next three against Essendon, North Melbourne and Gold Coast, or the natives will be something far worse than restless.

Buckley’s position is another thorny issue and if the coach and club choose to part ways, they will have to find a replacement. In a comment on SEN radio that one cannot imagine from his predecessor, Korda deferred to new football boss Graham Wright as the person who would drive that decision.

Where McGuire was charismatic, huge in profile, a font of ideas and impulsive, those who know Korda expect him to be measured, deliberate, process-driven and much less newsworthy. He isn’t as engaged in football and will defer to experts.

Where McGuire was transformational, Korda will be a transitional president - it is improbable that he will serve in the role for too long, after 14 years on the board. His current term expires in early 2023.

As a man who’s risen in corporate Australia by repairing busted companies, Korda is about to discover the difference between corporate turnaround and attempting recovery, on the field, for a battered footy club: That shareholders only measure you by one metric, and it’s not the balance sheet.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/how-korda-became-magpies-president-and-eddie-s-shadow-20210422-p57llv.html

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:52 pm

Steven King
Adam Kingsley
Nigel Lappin
Sam Mitchell

Based on?

I've heard a snippet of Mitchell coaching and he sounded calm lol almost too calm... also I've met him once and he has zero love for Collingwood, so if he did come it would be based solely on ambition and $$$.

Kingsley's name has been mentioned in some corners for a few months.

I lean towards him more than I do with Mitchell.

Fino 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:03 pm

The Browne-McGuire media industrial complex in full swing. Quoting EGMs and Governance after 20 years without an election. Laughable. Get a life Ed.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:00 pm

^ Herald Sun reporting that the Browne camp has slammed the appointment of Korda, saying it’s a demonstration of governance failings.

These agitators need to give it a rest before they do more damage.

Fino 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:15 pm

The agitators have somehow got the message across that Korda is in someway a continuation of McGuire. Nothing could be further from the truth.

McGuire needs to stop being sour. Treating CFC as his plaything like he did for the last decade. Browne can always run for a directorship at the end of this year. If he thinks his behaviour through the media is endearing to the board (who elect the president), he'll be in for a shock.
Fino 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:

Yes, hope so.

Absolutely not the case.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:25 pm

Fino wrote:
The agitators have somehow got the message across that Korda is in someway a continuation of McGuire. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Exactly right, and it worries me members will fall for it.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:55 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised and happy with Korda so far from his few comments, he seems level headed and will do what's best for the club 'objectively' and without 'favor' - We may get an EGM but I'm happy so far if there is not.
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Not an Eddie puppet and definitely not an Eddie Muppet. Barry Price was a good PE teacher when I was at school, not sure if he's still with us but he was fit as a fiddle and would make a great president. Imagine stab punting those responsible for salary cap mismanagement!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:21 pm

Jezza wrote:
Steven King
Adam Kingsley
Nigel Lappin
Sam Mitchell

Based on?

Kingsley's name has been mentioned in some corners for a few months.

I lean towards him more than I do with Mitchell.

Normally I would have laughed at someone hating Collingwood but in these times of serious decision making, that is the last thing we need. Definitely no to Mitchell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20   

Jump to: