Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should we have hung on to pick 2?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
Interesting

Would North bid for father sons just to screw the opposition into using their picks early? NO.

If North selects Daicos but then is outbid, then it selects Darcy and gets outbid, so then it selects Horne at pick 3.

So Horne comes in knowing he wasn't their real choice.. not once, but twice, and his salary is reduced because pick 3 earns less than pick 1.

If it's close, North should just select Horne or whoever they are likely to get and cast those doubts aside, celebrate their new number 1 pick.

If Daics isn't clear #1, good chance clubs may have fallen in love with other players and for similar reasons, will bypass Daics in the first handful of picks.

I hope.

Then we look Dumb IF he gets past the GWS Pick we gave them as that Mean we could had 2 top 10 Picks in this years Draft

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:51 pm

It's like saying I look dumb on a Monday because I didn't guess Saturday nights Tattslotto numbers.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:08 am

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
It's like saying I look dumb on a Monday because I didn't guess Saturday nights Tattslotto numbers.

I do in some sense agree with Dave, yes the players we picked up last year (at this stage) are looking good.

But last years draft also smacked of damage control by the club "we need a good news story for the website".
Trading out future first rounders is always fraught with danger....and I have a feeling it might bite us this time around...if the club had handled last year's trade period correctly we might have had an extra first rounder to play with this year...either to trade or the extra points might have just pushed us back in the first round.

We wont know the merits of last years draft for 5 years.that is the problem. We can only look back now and say we should have taken Naughton over Stephenson. We could also have taken Xavier Ellis over Scott Pendlebury.that is the luck of the draw. In that sense it is a bit like tattslotto...much like tattslotto the more numbers you have the better your chances.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:09 am

Yes, agree with all that if we like to use a dart.

Yet with any decision, there is a management risk and when all the stars align against you, it seems you could have made a better decision.

It's easy a year later to say we should have predicted

1. Nick Daicos would be clearly #1. He is the one who has blitzed the competition in 2021 and elevated himself as #1. Darcy has come through and others are basically trading a similar status.

2, Political upheaval at Collingwood, injuries, coach resigning.. has probably been a tad more than we would expect in a normal year.

3. And whatever else has fallen from the sky which we should have calculated.

So we skirmish around with a magnifying glass and find faults.

In the meantime we selected :
Ollie Henry (Pick 17), Finlay Macrae (Pick 19), Reef McInnes (Pick 23), Caleb Poulter (Pick 30), Liam McMahon (Pick 31), and Beau McCreery (Pick 44).

We will also select Nick Daicos in 2021

So yes, given that we started with the much-documented issues.. this is how we ended in the end. And even a ripple to come.

A couple of the above players have come out from the AT and Stevo fiasco.. The fiasco has had an income too.

No business runs without expenses. We also have income.

AT was an expense.. 2 first rounders.. but we got 5 years and an above player back.

Stevo was a round 5 selection and we got one of the above players back.

John Noble cost Nothing ( and most MSD players are no delisted for nothing) , but we got a win.. we won probably a 2nd rounder. Of course, some pundits would argue he is worthless.

Sometimes we should also factor in what we get.. not just what we lose.

We should also factor in 2018. They farked up to try and sustain our position.

We overplayed our hands to TRY and improve and the 12 O'clock position. Some people are saying we should have given up,,, no way should we try and repeat 2018 because we never were supposed to be good enough anyway. So its very logical in that sense to treat everything as an expense.

SO overlook that we stretched in 2018, overlook we got players back from trade, and overlook our inability to predict the future.. and find a couple of cracks.

Smile
jatsad 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:10 pm

derkd wrote:
Charlie Oneeye wrote:

I do in some sense agree with Dave, yes the players we picked up last year (at this stage) are looking good.

But last years draft also smacked of damage control by the club "we need a good news story for the website".
Trading out future first rounders is always fraught with danger....and I have a feeling it might bite us this time around...if the club had handled last year's trade period correctly we might have had an extra first rounder to play with this year...either to trade or the extra points might have just pushed us back in the first round.

We wont know the merits of last years draft for 5 years.that is the problem. We can only look back now and say we should have taken Naughton over Stephenson. We could also have taken Xavier Ellis over Scott Pendlebury.that is the luck of the draw. In that sense it is a bit like tattslotto...much like tattslotto the more numbers you have the better your chances.

Yes it is a lottery that the player selected turns out to be special.
The problem here is this:

We did not pick for a need. We needed a big body that could play either other back or forward and who could take a strong mark. And Naughton was a massive Collingwood fan. But clueless didn't like the big body types, he like the more hybrid ruck/forward types. We had Cox, so Naughton was a no go. That turned out well.

And to rub further salt into the wound, if Stephenson had of been selected earlier, we were going to take Murphy with our first pick. He is a good player but certainly no Naughton.

Just smacks of incompetence.

scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:01 pm

^you must be kidding? We didn’t Need a key back in 2017 draft.
Without Stevo kicking 30+ goals would we have played off in the granny? I doubt it.
Did we need Naughton after Dunn went down? yes, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:31 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Without Stevo kicking 30+ goals would we have played off in the granny? I doubt it.
Did we need Naughton after Dunn went down? yes, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Would have made the granny still as we had multiple goalkickers that year.
But still did not have the tall key back and that's where wet toast got us.

derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:50 pm

[quote="jatsad"]
scoobydoo wrote:

But still did not have the tall key back and that's where wet toast got us.[/quote]

I hate reliving this match, but I think the reason we lost the grand final was not key backs. It was Collingwood, 5 goals up in the first...and we stopped...classic Collingwood...we also did that in the first 2010 grand final. This club gets stage fright.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:55 pm

[quote="derkd"]
jatsad wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:

But still did not have the tall key back and that's where wet toast got us.[/quote]

I hate reliving this match, but I think the reason we lost the grand final was not key backs. It was Collingwood, 5 goals up in the first...and we stopped...classic Collingwood...we also did that in the first 2010 grand final. This club gets stage fright.

What rot. Their big guys got on top of us and marked everything. If Moore or even Dunn had played, we win.

derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:05 pm

[quote="jatsad"]
derkd wrote:
jatsad wrote:
scoobydoo wrote:

What rot. Their big guys got on top of us and marked everything. If Moore or even Dunn had played, we win.

We shall have to agree to disagree. The only thing I will add Mgovern had 6 pain killer injections and should probably have never played...yet we let him take 9 marks. We let them win. Until we crush an opponent in a grand final i maintain we are too soft on the last day in September.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:54 pm

We’re they soft in 1990 and 2010? Even in 2018, when they were headed after being 5 goals up, did they give in?

If not for a shocking umpiring decision not to pay that block, we win.
Brisbane we’re a super team and we were a bunch of triers. And again, if the Rocca goal is paid, we probably win that.

So saying they are soft is just rubbish.

derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:49 am

jatsad wrote:
We’re they soft in 1990 and 2010? Even in 2018, when they were headed after being 5 goals up, did they give in?

If not for a shocking umpiring decision not to pay that block, we win.
Brisbane we’re a super team and we were a bunch of triers. And again, if the Rocca goal is paid, we probably win that.

So saying they are soft is just rubbish.

Like I say, agree to disagree, 1990 is now ancient history by comparison. I am talking 2000's. Brisbane Lions 01 - 03, Hawthorn in their three in a row even Richmond in the granfinals they have won. That is mettle. They destroyed lesser sides.

Your arguing on chance umpiring discisions. That block in 2018 gf, once again, if we had a real killer instinct in the second quater that block in the last quater would have mattered zero. We would have been 6 goals up and home free. That 2002 Rocca goal...yep probably a goal..but goal review didn't exist....no chance to review and over turn. 2010 replay, yep great effort and win...but for a very lucky bounce of the ball we would not have got there....and if that game had gone into extra time as is the rule now....well geez I seriously doubt we would have won it.

This club lacks guts in grandfinals...But oh, if you want to talk ancient history...we have the last 70 odd years of weak efforts in granfinals to call on...where should I start? 1970?

I would love this club to prove me wrong to date..I stick to my guns...we play our grand finals in the preliminary finals and turn out piss poor efforts in the game that really matters. 2011 and 2018 are just classic examples.

Anyway like I say we may have to agree to disagree on this one mate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: