Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should we have hung on to pick 2?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a possible draft scenario which has the potential to benefit our draft hand in the upcoming National draft.
Luke Darcy son, Sam, is rocketing up into calculations with every game he plays. He’s 200cm, agile, skilled and very versatile. They are hard to come by.
Likely first pick, Kangas, will be desperate to add a tall to their list, so there is a reasonable chance they may call out Darcy at pick one.
If Sam Darcy can keep progressing at the rate he has so far in 2021, we may yet arrive at the situation where the tall the Kangas desperately need is called out before Daicos.
North would then most likely call out Daicos at # 2 but the difference in the points value is significant. The difference in value could be something like an ( early ) third round draft pick that no longer needs to form part of the Daicos matching bid.
Daicos can’t do anymore as a gun junior, so the real interest lies in just how much more Darcy can improve between now and the end of the season.

And as for keeping # 2 😂
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 pm

That's odd, why wouldn't he be a Western Bulldogs father-son? He'd certainly qualify.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:30 pm

Other teams can still bid on f/s e.g. Daicos

As I understood any points saving on Daicos would first count against future drafy deficit though, before freeing up picks in our current draft

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:03 pm

It comes down to where we end up finishing and who puts in a bid.

GWS hold our first pick which is currently pick 4, but that may change. You'd hate to think that we shot ourselves in the foot if a bid does not come before what would have been our first pick.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:05 pm

David wrote:
That's odd, why wouldn't he be a Western Bulldogs father-son? He'd certainly qualify.

He is a Dogs father son prospect but if North pick him first ( which they should because hes easily the best Vic tall in the draft ) then it’s up to the Dogs to match the bid and with their discount thrown in.
That would give Dogs with pick one and then North pick again at revised pick two ( same as Crows last year when they called out Ugle - Hagen at # 1 )
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:09 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Other teams can still bid on f/s e.g. Daicos

As I understood any points saving on Daicos would first count against future drafy deficit though, before freeing up picks in our current draft

All points are first deducted from whatever picks ( up until end round three ) we have accumulated in the 2021 draft. Should there be a further deficit, then points will continue to be deducted from our first pick in the 2022 draft.
If Darcy is picked before Daicos, this will reduce any impact on our 2022 draft picks significantly.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:16 pm

Presti35 wrote:
It comes down to where we end up finishing and who puts in a bid.

GWS hold our first pick which is currently pick 4, but that may change. You'd hate to think that we shot ourselves in the foot if a bid does not come before what would have been our first pick.

True but you would like to believe that’s an unlikely outcome.
It might yet all come down to how they embrace Harvey as a coach.
We won our last two under Buckley. The next couple months under our new coach will be very interesting. The players have little to play for, including the knowledge that there is little chance Harvey will be coaching them again in 2022.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:47 am

We can settle this easily .. I guess..

If the pick 2 trade resulted in us getting Poulter, I'll take that. EASY.

Pick 2 could have been pick 36, or pick 18.. I'd still take Poulter.

A clear win for me.

Call it luck if you wish.. but it was clear we rated at least 4 players to be available to us in the top 30. We ended up with what will be one day imho regarded as our greatest haul.

And Poulter came with steak knives.. maybe there's a good forward in there too.

--------------

Whilst we may lament not having the high draft picks, we did recruit 8 young players, mostly top 30.. we basically traded our 2021 picks and used them in 2020.

I do obviously rate top picks.. Once we venture out of the top 30.. we can throw a blanked over 100 players.. it comes down to need, and good recruiting decisions..

So 2021 draft as it stands: pick 1 is Daics, Pick 2 is already used on Pulter and steak knives, and then its lotto.

I guess, I consider 2020&2021 as one draft haul strategy.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:16 am

Pies2016 wrote:
If Darcy is picked before Daicos, this will reduce any impact on our 2022 draft picks significantly

Right. It won't give us a 3rd round pick this year

Big T 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:33 am

We need to get daics to fake an acl asap
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:34 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
If Darcy is picked before Daicos, this will reduce any impact on our 2022 draft picks significantly

Right. It won't give us a 3rd round pick this year

That’s what I said. It was the point of the entire bump. Daicos potentially has a competitor for the number one pick. We wouldn’t have a third round pick left this year anyway unless we traded back in. All our picks will be invested in Daicos. The later he goes, the better it is for us in 2022 draft.
That’s a better outcome than any deficit at the draft, particularly when you’re starting again.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:32 pm

I think at this stage, Jason Horne is the bigger competitor for the number 1 pick given the discussion currently vacillates between he and Daicos.

Darcy is an interesting one as he really has come from the clouds to now be considered top 5, and comfortably the best Vic tall. He's versatile too in that he can play ruck, forward and of late, a little down back... I can't recall any player who has climbed so dramatically as Darcy, and if he does continue to improve, he may well become a pick 1 contender (he's not yet), or even a consensus choice.

I don't know that it's quite as clear cut that North are after talls. Their strategy at the last draft was to sure up the middle by picking Phillips ahead of the (arguably) higher rated McDonald and Grainger-Barras. I've heard Mark Finnigan (North's recruiting manager) speak to this, and turning their attention now toward talls. With the mid-season pick up of Edwards (possible ND top 10 if he'd not nominated for the MSD), the narrative from Finnigan seems to have shifted and I'm not as sure they'll be focusing on talls. I think it's now a best available scenario - as it always should be for the top handful of picks.

Best available could still be someone other than Daicos, which would be a fantastic result for us, but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up that North help us out due to a need for talls with pick 1.... now if we'd traded a gun youngster to them at well under value with a wink wink nudge nudge don't select Nick type deal as compensation, that's a whole 'nother story...
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:06 pm

^ ^ ^

B K, I agree the last month or so, it’s been out of Daicos and Horne for # 1.
Josh Sinn was in calculations at the start of the season but has dropped off a bit and missed a chunk of footy.
Obviously it’s more difficult when you’re trying to compare Daicos against an S A kid but the general view is that Daicos has him covered.
And Vics clubs are always more comfortable picking home grown talent than ripping interstate kids away from home whenever there is little between them.
Those two can’t do anymore but Darcy may not have reached his ceiling as a junior yet, which is where he could keep making in roads into number one calculations.
It will be all up to the Kangas and their thinking. They aren’t going to get either Daicos or Darcy, so would they even call their names out. You don’t want to give clubs a free hit either. ( remember the Crows with Ugle - Hagen )
If I was Collingwood, I would definitely be having “ mutual benefit “ discussions with the Kangas to see what it would take for them to call out Darcy first. It’s not like they are going to get him anyway.
If that happened, it would instantly wipe off around 400 points by not having Daicos called out first. And even better again if their revised pick was Horne ( not likely )
P S - this is all under the assumption that the Kangas go to the draft with the number one pick of course.
Re Phillips at # 3. It raised a lot of eyebrows at the time because of the talls they overlooked. Time will tell but there are a few who reckon Phillips leadership qualities and professionalism were so good, the Kangas felt the need to invest in that part of their list profile also.
Who knows …. Yet.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 pm

IF we win more games pick might be more around 6-8
jatsad 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:28 pm

K wrote:
MC's Mix wrote:
Top few are almost all mids, keys are often duds in the top few.
Looking at 2017 draft (because 4 years is about right for a key to develop) the best couple so far are Oscar Allen and maybe Noah Balta? Both in the 20s. Naughton at 9 has been ok but probably not as good as the other 2 imo. Brander? Again, not as good.

I disagree!

We'll spend the next decade regretting not getting Naughton.

I agree. And he was a massive pies fan. But clueless never recruited big guys cause he liked his grunt players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: