Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Missed Mid-season Draft Opportunities

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:50 pm
Post subject: Missed Mid-season Draft OpportunitiesReply with quote

With our end of season Draft hand likely to get chewed up by the points needed for Nick Daicos, you get the feeling we missed a further 1-2 recruitment possibilities in the recent Mid-year Draft period. With Ash Johnson hopefully to get a debut this year and Begg in recovery for 2022, the club knew that Greenwood's and Tyler Brown's chances of playing again this season were rare.

Why not add an extra talented draftee? A rookie esque wage would hardly break the salary cap. With our current indicative draft picks in November being:

36, 41, 44 and 45

all being needed for Nick Daicos, and the likely departures at end of season of:

* Greenwood
* Sier
* Mayne
* Madgen
* Cox/Lynch
* Thomas
* Tohill

there is and was adequate list space for another draftee that would have superseded a pick in the 80's come November. Thoughts?

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can see the logic.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:10 pm

Okay, so i am already investing what a best 22 might look like for 2022.

2022 Round 1:

B: Maynard Roughead Howe
HB: Crisp Moore Pendlebury
C: WHE N Daicos J Daicos
HF: Henry Mihocek Sidebottom
F: Elliott D Cameron Johnson
F: Grundy DeGoey Adams
ICH: T Brown, Quaynor, Kelly, N Murphy
EMERG: Bianco, Macrae, Poulter, McCreery

BACK-UP:

* Rantall
* Bianco
* Macrae
* Poulter
* McCreery
* Noble
* Wilson
* Keane
* C Brown
* Mcinnes
* McMahon
* Lynch
* Begg
* Ruscoe

Needless to say player improvement is going to be critical vs new player recruitment.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:11 pm

I see where you’re coming from but at some point we have to look at the weight of evidence where a number of clubs could have taken extra selections in the mid year draft and chose not to. Maybe there was a tipping point in that draft where the risk of taking a very speculative pick was no longer worth it.
Clearly, a number of clubs felt that way and there aren’t many player who go on to have stellar careers via the mid year draft.

What I would add, is having reviewed the new N G A draft rules for 2021, there is a serious possibility we may yet secure a much improved Yousef Dib for a song. Example - if Dib is selected anywhere after # 41, we can successfully bid for him at the cost of whatever our next pick is ( even if it’s the eighties ). Should he be called out any earlier, then we can still secure him but would have much less of a windfall.
He’s having a very good, albeit interrupted season and is much improved, so I think he needs to be added into the conversation as a “ serious “ 2021 draft prospect.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:25 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I see where you’re coming from but at some point we have to look at the weight of evidence where a number of clubs could have taken extra selections in the mid year draft and chose not to. Maybe there was a tipping point in that draft where the risk of taking a very speculative pick was no longer worth it.
Clearly, a number of clubs felt that way and there aren’t many player who go on to have stellar careers via the mid year draft.

What I would add, is having reviewed the new N G A draft rules for 2021, there is a serious possibility we may yet secure a much improved Yousef Dib for a song. Example - if Dib is selected anywhere after # 41, we can successfully bid for him at the cost of whatever our next pick is ( even if it’s the eighties ). Should he be called out any earlier, then we can still secure him but would have much less of a windfall.
He’s having a very good, albeit interrupted season and is much improved, so I think he needs to be added into the conversation as a “ serious “ 2021 draft prospect.

Good call mentioning Dib whose been under our NGA program for 3 years now. Unfortunately Cal Twomey whose the best journo in the business has put Dib in his "Best 22 of the under 18 league" for 2021. So being picked after 41 in a weaker draft year is getting less likely.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:53 am

Typical catch 22 position. We want Dibs to an outstanding player but we will have to be extremely lucky to snare him at or after pick 41 😕 If he is any good, there is no logical way he would last until then.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:37 am

how many threads do we need summarizing that we have players leaving at the end of the year?

We get it.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:36 am

Remember there is a limit ion the soft cap for assistant coaches. If you spread the development roles too thin with too many kids then overall you are worse off. A late rookie may need a lot of help but not at the cost of slowing the development of a Poulter or others
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:13 pm
Post subject: Re: Missed Mid-season Draft OpportunitiesReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
With our end of season Draft hand likely to get chewed up by the points needed for Nick Daicos, you get the feeling we missed a further 1-2 recruitment possibilities in the recent Mid-year Draft period. With Ash Johnson hopefully to get a debut this year and Begg in recovery for 2022, the club knew that Greenwood's and Tyler Brown's chances of playing again this season were rare.

Why not add an extra talented draftee? A rookie esque wage would hardly break the salary cap. With our current indicative draft picks in November being:

36, 41, 44 and 45

all being needed for Nick Daicos, and the likely departures at end of season of:

* Greenwood
* Sier
* Mayne
* Madgen
* Cox/Lynch
* Thomas
* Tohill

there is and was adequate list space for another draftee that would have superseded a pick in the 80's come November. Thoughts?

Coz maybe there weren’t anymore Talented draftees. Maybe if there were, other teams would have picked them also. Or do you think we left Talented draftees on the table?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:25 pm

Yep, should have grabbed Stengle with final selection - we're obliged to keep him if his attitude was poor; we'd have had 6 months to assess his application to the task prior to 2022 pre-season. Utter ineptitude; again.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:43 pm

piedys wrote:
Yep, should have grabbed Stengle with final selection - we're obliged to keep him if his attitude was poor; we'd have had 6 months to assess his application to the task prior to 2022 pre-season. Utter ineptitude; again.

Agreed

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:44 pm

E wrote:
how many threads do we need summarizing that we have players leaving at the end of the year?

We get it.

If you posted more than two threads in two years my heavy lifting would be relieved. Over to you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: