Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Suns sink Pies. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

eddiesmith wrote:
Well you would hope we wouldn't get belted given our entire game plan is based on defending

Ironic considering that one of the main problems in the game was the ease with which the Suns transitioned from their backline into our D50

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Well you would hope we wouldn't get belted given our entire game plan is based on defending

Ironic considering that one of the main problems in the game was the ease with which the Suns transitioned from their backline into our D50

Well moving your AA Defender into the forward line where he'd previously been a failure doesn't help.

All because for 10 years we've refused to recruit any key forwards.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:18 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Well moving your AA Defender into the forward line where he'd previously been a failure doesn't help.

All because for 10 years we've refused to recruit any key forwards.

10 years? I'm sure that reminds me of something else? Hmmm...

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:20 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Well you would hope we wouldn't get belted given our entire game plan is based on defending.

Now if we could work out a way to actually kick a big score as well, we'd be a premiership contender. But we haven't been able to do that since about 2011

Defenders do save games, as we know .We get the ball up forward enough, but our delivery is poor, our forwards, aside from Checkers, are way down on confidence, losing Elliott was a rotten blow. Tay would help our centre, but hes gone for while too, but thats life. Our kids try hard, do their best, its our more senior guys that need a huge rocket up them, they have let the Club down too, they must share some of the blame for this dire straits.

I think the problem is to have the strong defence it slows things down too much that our lack of forward targets really shines through. If we had key forwards who could bust a pack and take strong contested marks, like back in the day when we had the best contested mark in the AFL...then our defensive game plan might not bite us on the arse as often as it does.

But for some reason it's not something we've looked at. Checkers plays better when Cox is there as he takes away the biggest defender, yet Buckley doesn't like Cox. Even when he's not kicking goals, he's still a focal point for opposition defenders. It's a flow on effect that frees up others.

Missing Elliot and an unfit JDG doesn't help either, but then we've had plenty of warning that those 2 are unreliable and we should have other options that don't include taking away your best defender!!!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:29 pm

think positive wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Player of the week is Brody Mihocek.

My favourite player. Love ya Checkers. No player works harder or does it with a more humble, "just get it done" attitude.

hes like that in person, he goes to a vegan health food cafe near me, he is so lovely.

Oh lucky you TP!! Couldn't get a selfie one day???
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:37 pm

eddiesmith wrote:

But for some reason it's not something we've looked at. Checkers plays better when Cox is there as he takes away the biggest defender, yet Buckley doesn't like Cox. Even when he's not kicking goals, he's still a focal point for opposition defenders. It's a flow on effect that frees up others.

Missing Elliot and an unfit JDG doesn't help either, but then we've had plenty of warning that those 2 are unreliable and we should have other options that don't include taking away your best defender!!!

Strongly agree with you Eddie.
We are all aware how Coxy draws defenders away from other team mates.
Plus, I reckon most defenders couldn't help but be nervous about lining up on him. Not just the height, but the knowledge that on a good day, he can tear a game apart eg WC in the final last year.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:36 pm

Checkers played just about his best-ever game for us, on Saturday, without Cox.

It does make you think how dangerous he might be in an actual forward line as the mobile 3rd tall. I reckon Richmond would actually kill to get him. Meanwhile, he’s typically of far less value to us in our stupid gameplan because he plays some weeks as our only competent tall forward and that role is beyond him (in fact, 100 years of history says it’s beyond anybody).
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Well you would hope we wouldn't get belted given our entire game plan is based on defending.

Now if we could work out a way to actually kick a big score as well, we'd be a premiership contender. But we haven't been able to do that since about 2011

Defenders do save games, as we know .We get the ball up forward enough, but our delivery is poor, our forwards, aside from Checkers, are way down on confidence, losing Elliott was a rotten blow. Tay would help our centre, but hes gone for while too, but thats life. Our kids try hard, do their best, its our more senior guys that need a huge rocket up them, they have let the Club down too, they must share some of the blame for this dire straits.

I think the problem is to have the strong defence it slows things down too much that our lack of forward targets really shines through. If we had key forwards who could bust a pack and take strong contested marks, like back in the day when we had the best contested mark in the AFL...then our defensive game plan might not bite us on the arse as often as it does.

Yeh, Cox should be in the team, our forward line is in dire straits, and also, we should have done all we could to get big Ben Brown, i said this as soon as he left North, we should have got him, if we could. Now hes at the Deees, and they have a bevy of forwards aside from him. Brown would have been just the ticket for us, but we procrastinated, and missed the boat. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:05 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

It does make you think how dangerous he might be in an actual forward line as the mobile 3rd tall. I reckon Richmond would actually kill to get him. Meanwhile, he’s typically of far less value to us in our stupid gameplan because he plays some weeks as our only competent tall forward and that role is beyond him (in fact, 100 years of history says it’s beyond anybody).

As i said above mate, we should have gone hell for leather after Ben Brown, he was available, i said this as soon as he left North Melb. But, we showed no interest in him, and now hes a Deee, unfortunately. Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:49 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Strongly agree with you Eddie.
We are all aware how Coxy draws defenders away from other team mates.
Plus, I reckon most defenders couldn't help but be nervous about lining up on him. Not just the height, but the knowledge that on a good day, he can tear a game apart eg WC in the final last year.

Yep plus in a tight game, his height has made a big difference on a few occasions late in games when defenders can no longer get the jump as they tire.

On P4S point, whilst Checkers might have played well on Saturday, I’m pretty sure he was just about leading the Coleman early last year, then Cox got dropped and everything turned to shit.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:28 pm

I can't remember how Checkers was going - but I do recall that Cox was dropped after having - literally - 2 kicks n 2 weeks against Essendon and Hawthorn. There's "decoy" and then there's "bystander".
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:56 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
think positive wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Player of the week is Brody Mihocek.

My favourite player. Love ya Checkers. No player works harder or does it with a more humble, "just get it done" attitude.

hes like that in person, he goes to a vegan health food cafe near me, he is so lovely.

Oh lucky you TP!! Couldn't get a selfie one day???

i did but no editing would save my mug that day, even im not that good!!!!

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:21 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

As i said above mate, we should have gone hell for leather after Ben Brown, he was available, i said this as soon as he left North Melb. But, we showed no interest in him, and now hes a Deee, unfortunately. Rolling Eyes

Ah Piesnchess we didn't have any money or room in the salary cap. Won't have for some time. That's why the entire admin of this club needs to be turfed out as well. Where's Ranald McDonald when you need him! Laughing
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:31 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
On P4S point, whilst Checkers might have played well on Saturday, I’m pretty sure he was just about leading the Coleman early last year, then Cox got dropped and everything turned to shit.

Mason played 11 games in 2020 for 14 goals in rounds 1, 4-6, 13-15, 17-18, EF & SF (1.3 gpg). Brody played 18 games for 25 goals in 1-12, 14-15, 17-18, EF & SF (1.4 gpg)

When Mason was dropped after round 6, Brody was on 12 goals, averaging 2 gpg (Hawkins won the Coleman with 42 from 17 H&A games). After rd6, Brody kicked 2 goals total over the next 6 games (all without Mason).

In all, Brody without Mason kicked 4 goals in 8 games (0.5 gpg) and Brody with Mason kicked 21 goals in 10 games (2.1 gpg). So clearly he works better with him.

This should surprise no-one because, good as he is and hard as he tries, Brody is not a KPF.

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Mon May 03, 2021 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:00 pm

^ Well, those stats certainly impact on the discussion of Cox and Checkers in tandem!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22   

Jump to: