Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Roos.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty clear that pre-season the plan was for Cox to play forward and Moore to play back, but as we were losing games, and Cox was not doing much, a decision was made to try Moore up forward for a few weeks. Unfortunately, he has not performed as hoped in this new position, and to stop our season from completely imploding, he is now being moved back to defence. This has been made easier by the reasonably good form of Cameron as a forward/ruckman.

FWIW, I was one of those who clamoured for Bucks to throw Moore forward, but I am now pleased he is returning to defence. Sometimes you never know if you don't have a go.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:36 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
What happened to all the people who were screaming for Moore to go forward??

More than happy to admit I was one who called for him to be moved down forward. It was worth a try because we were lacking down forward and we were able to cover him down back. I'd be more than happy to try the experiment again after we get back a few of our senior players in Adams, Elliot and Howe and a few of our youngsters start performing at AFL level.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm

I wasn't completely opposed to the experiment, but I was vehemently opposed to the timing. Our best 2 intercept defenders and the ones who organise everything in the back half are Howe and Moore. With Howe injured, Moore had to stay back to keep the defense respectable (which has been one of our strengths). Had Howe not been injured, then sure, trial Moore forward... but seriously, you can't take the backbone out of a skeleton and expect it'll still stand up.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:26 pm

^ This.

I was not opposed to Moore going forward. I called for Cloke to go back on many occasions. Moving Key Position players should not be taboo. But timing is everything, and as stated trying it when one of the generals and a leadership group member is out is not the time to try it.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:30 pm

It wasn’t so much the moving of Moore forward, it was starting him there and leaving him there, especially when the defence was struggling or down on personnel. He should still be trailed in a pinch hit role if the forward line ain’t firing a shot, or if we’re up big (unlikely).
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:31 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
What happened to all the people who were screaming for Moore to go forward??

More than happy to admit I was one who called for him to be moved down forward. It was worth a try because we were lacking down forward and we were able to cover him down back. I'd be more than happy to try the experiment again after we get back a few of our senior players in Adams, Elliot and Howe and a few of our youngsters start performing at AFL level.

I think that’s the key to it. You need to try these things when they are at least half a chance to succeed, not when they are consigned to fail.
Moore was in the forward line for all of 45 mins before Howe and DeGoey both went down. Moore still kicked three against good opposition, so Its not like he was entirely clueless in the role.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:43 pm

I was calling for Moore to go forward and pleased when he lined up there v Weagles. Then he kicks two early goals.
Losing De Goey and Howe then crippled the team and the supply to the forward line. Yes send him back this weekend to get the team structure more balanced and his confidence back but let's not give up on the idea of Moore playing as a forward in future when the opportunity arises. At the end of the day are crying out for a key position forward and he could be the answer.

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:47 pm

I think there's a strong correlation to the Grundy / midfield situation with the Moore / midfield situation.

Is it that Moore wasn't up to playing forward, or is it that his midfield, through inept delivery, set him up to fail?

With Grundy, it's is his ruck dominance completely useless, or is it that the midfield, through inability to win clean clearance, have set him up to be the media (and Nicks) latest whipping boy?

You will not a common theme among the two which may or may not be pure coincidence...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:49 pm

uncanny wrote:
I was calling for Moore to go forward and pleased when he lined up there v Weagles. Then he kicks two early goals.
Losing De Goey and Howe then crippled the team and the supply to the forward line. Yes send him back this weekend to get the team structure more balanced and his confidence back but let's not give up on the idea of Moore playing as a forward in future when the opportunity arises. At the end of the day are crying out for a key position forward and he could be the answer.

I'm in broad agreement, but in truth, Moore only kicked one early goal against the Eagles (Grundy kicked 2), and kicked another 2 in the last quarter, when the game was already lost.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:19 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
I think there's a strong correlation to the Grundy / midfield situation with the Moore / midfield situation.

Is it that Moore wasn't up to playing forward, or is it that his midfield, through inept delivery, set him up to fail?

With Grundy, it's is his ruck dominance completely useless, or is it that the midfield, through inability to win clean clearance, have set him up to be the media (and Nicks) latest whipping boy?

You will not a common theme among the two which may or may not be pure coincidence...

Exactly, Plugger would go goalless with the delivery our midfield has been supplying this year.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:13 pm

Im tipping the Woods by around 4 goals, only cos i thought back to the Lions game, which we led for 95% of that match, losing post final siren by a lousy point. The Lions are a very good side, so that gives me some heart, that we can, still, play some good footy, hopefully. Must say tho, its a lousy time to play the match, late Sat arvo, shithouse time, be a small crowd id say because of that alone. Go Woods !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm

Sier and Henry look to have got the call up as they are not in the VFL side.

Macrae is back in the ressies.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm

IN: Oliver Henry, Tyler Brown
OUT: Finlay Macrae, Callum Brown (omitted), Jay Rantall (unused medical substitute)

Full team in OP.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:25 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Sier and Henry look to have got the call up as they are not in the VFL side.

Macrae is back in the ressies.

Sier is an emergency. He's probably going to be held back as the Medical Sub.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:36 pm

So pleased to see that Murphy and Poulter have held their spots. They are the wings for both now and the future. Excellent that Oliver Henry is rewarded for good form in the VFL.
Mc Crae could've been retained instead of JT.
Looks like the Brown brothers are alternating senior games between them.Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11   

Jump to: