Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Roos.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
So pleased to see that Murphy and Poulter have held their spots. They are the wings for both now and the future. Excellent that Oliver Henry is rewarded for good form in the VFL.
Mc Crae could've been retained instead of JT.
Looks like the Brown brothers are alternating senior games between them.Smile

Yes P P, play the kids, all our kids, get SOMETHING positive out of the season, at least, get games into em, thats the ticket to the future. ! Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:49 pm

I had hoped Sier would get a recall after his 28 disposals in the VFL. He looked much better than T. Brown, and we desperately need a big bodied midfielder, but nevertheless, I hope Tyler does well.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:21 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Mc Crae could've been retained instead of JT.

He’ll get better but from what I saw of him last week he needs to build his tank.

JT might not be giving us heaps at the moment but he can compete more often.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:05 pm

^ I agree with the point you make Anthony, but at some point developing our young players needs take precedence over grasping for wins I reckon.

Perhaps, McCrae is a bit sore or under done, but if not this week then soon, JT will need to give way (as sad for him as that is. He's certainly tried his best despite his limited ability to impact these days).
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:07 pm

^^^^

Have to disagree here Anthony. I would have selected Sier ahead of JT. He will get a bigger tank and also confidence playing seniors. JT looks lost at the moment.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 pm

Hey not fair Lazza. Very Happy

Sier wasn’t part of the discussion. I would agree Sier over JT.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 pm

To win this game we need to win the centre clearances. That means stop Cunnington. Adams, Sier and Greenwood will be missed here. Because Cunnington is a hard hitter and I'm not sure our mids will take too much of the bullying he puts out.

Goldstein Vs Grundy will be interesting. Grundy needs to exploit him around the ground but most importantly, needs to win the hit outs and hit them out to our advantage.

Turner and Ziebell are their other ball winners in the middle, with youngster Powell impressing too. Simpkin is their small forward, goal sneak type, but has also been playing in the middle. Those 4 guys need to be kept quiet.

Hall is their running defender and we should look to cut him off everywhere possible. Larkey is their key forward and Roughy just needs to do his job here. Not sure who Keane gets? Probably Zurhaar? Moore needs to stay back and try to cut everything off that comes in. Stevo and Thomas been playing on the wing and small forward, but they are their leading goal kickers, so we need to nullify them too.

The keys are to keep Cunnington quiet, dont let Goldy have an influence and just let our back six do their job. We will win this game of those three things happen. Oh yeah and fkn kick straight in front of goal.

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:20 pm

Swanny2011 wrote:
Quote:
He's a low-possession/disposal player and he doesn't read the game well when he's forward of the ball. He's a good player but by no means a great one - and he's certainly not a star forward. At best, he's a potentially-competent forward and no more than that. Given that he's a very good footballer down back, we should play him there and look for a proper forward.

I am not sure on your assessment. You don't need to be a high disposal player as a key forward to have a significant impact. The biggest impact you can have as a key forward is to kick goals.
Lets for interest sake look at Nick Riewoldt, J Brown, J Kennedy and Moore total goals in their first 2 years in the game.

Reiwoldt played 28 games and kicked 23 goals ave .82
Brown played 38 games and kicked 43 goals ave 1.1
Once Buckley goes all of this confusion around selection and playing positions will dissipate. As the previous poster said, you learn nothing putting a player like Moore up forward for two bad losses, then take him straight back. I’m sure he would be a good forward, but if that’s the way the club wants to go, it needs to be planned and trained for prior to the season.
Kennedy played 23 games kicked 11 goals ave .47
Moore played 26 games and kicked 31 goals ave 1.19

You have to remember also that Reiwoldt and Brown walked into very good footy sides. Reiwoldt had Fraser Gehrig and Hamill for support. Brown had Lynch, Brayshaw and Pike for support. Kennedy was playing for Carlton enough said. Moore had a banged up T Cloke for support.

My point is and still is that Moore could have been a great forward. Now that he is more experienced and a better body shape and considering where our list is at, it would have been a good decision to play him as a permanent forward for all of the 2021 season not throw him up there as an after thought.
I guess we will never know now as I think he will remain in the backline for the rest of his career.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:02 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
Lazza wrote:
^^^^
Have to disagree here Anthony. I would have selected Sier ahead of JT. He will get a bigger tank and also confidence playing seniors. JT looks lost at the moment.

Hey not fair Lazza. Very Happy

Sier wasn’t part of the discussion. I would agree Sier over JT.

Your agreement is humbly received 🤨😀

Love JT but to me he is running on empty in the second half of games. Needs to lift like 95% of the team.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:32 am

I am happy to see Tyler Brown get a chance. I don't think he has been given enough opportunity yet to demonstrate what he's capable of.
I am also rapt that Oliver Henry is back in the team.
Unlike many here, I dont think we should just throw all our young draftees in at once just to "get games into them". if our team is too young, we wont have enough senior, experienced players with physical presence to assist them. I dont think young players are developed by throwing them to the wolves: ie selecting them for AFL teams without an adequate spine of mature AFL players to scaffold their learning experience. If you look at every other team in the competition, they have introduced their youngsters with powerful mature mids to support them. While Pendles and Sidey are extremely experienced, they dont have the physical power of the likes of for example Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker who supported the Swans' crop of youngsters. The absence of Tay, and the apparent inability of Sier to impact, is killing us.
So I am fine with resting Finn McCrae and bringing in Ollie Henry for a game.
My prediction for the game: Pies by 4 points.
Stepho to kick first goal, and every Collingwood player to rush forward to celebrate with him.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 am

Presti35 wrote:
To win this game we need to win the centre clearances. That means stop Cunnington. Adams, Sier and Greenwood will be missed here. Because Cunnington is a hard hitter and I'm not sure our mids will take too much of the bullying he puts out.

Goldstein Vs Grundy will be interesting. Grundy needs to exploit him around the ground but most importantly, needs to win the hit outs and hit them out to our advantage.

Turner and Ziebell are their other ball winners in the middle, with youngster Powell impressing too. Simpkin is their small forward, goal sneak type, but has also been playing in the middle. Those 4 guys need to be kept quiet.

Hall is their running defender and we should look to cut him off everywhere possible. Larkey is their key forward and Roughy just needs to do his job here. Not sure who Keane gets? Probably Zurhaar? Moore needs to stay back and try to cut everything off that comes in. Stevo and Thomas been playing on the wing and small forward, but they are their leading goal kickers, so we need to nullify them too.

The keys are to keep Cunnington quiet, dont let Goldy have an influence and just let our back six do their job. We will win this game of those three things happen. Oh yeah and fkn kick straight in front of goal.

Great summary of the opposition, Presti Smile

The ramifications if we lose this game will be huge. There's no excuses as North are on a 15 match losing streak. If we have any pride, we win this.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:55 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
I am happy to see Tyler Brown get a chance. I don't think he has been given enough opportunity yet to demonstrate what he's capable of.
I am also rapt that Oliver Henry is back in the team.
Unlike many here, I dont think we should just throw all our young draftees in at once just to "get games into them". if our team is too young, we wont have enough senior, experienced players with physical presence to assist them. I dont think young players are developed by throwing them to the wolves: ie selecting them for AFL teams without an adequate spine of mature AFL players to scaffold their learning experience. If you look at every other team in the competition, they have introduced their youngsters with powerful mature mids to support them. While Pendles and Sidey are extremely experienced, they dont have the physical power of the likes of for example Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker who supported the Swans' crop of youngsters. The absence of Tay, and the apparent inability of Sier to impact, is killing us.
So I am fine with resting Finn McCrae and bringing in Ollie Henry for a game.
My prediction for the game: Pies by 4 points.
Stepho to kick first goal, and every Collingwood player to rush forward to celebrate with him.

Macrae needed a spell. He looked very tired after last week's game, but having some exposure in the senior side will be invaluable for him.

I was underwhelmed by Henry in round 1, but a lot of people have big wraps on him and maybe playing against a "weaker" opponent is the way to go for him in the short term. Looking forward to seeing what he produces.

Some of our more senior players need to step up this week. De Goey and Maynard are ones that automatically come to mind.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:17 am

You can recruit brilliant young talent but experience is vital to win games at this level. Agree that the senior players need rockets up their arse. They need to fire up and lead through example. Every player needs to be inspired by Nathan Murphy's attitude and courageous mark. The pride of Collingwood is at stake here. It really IS a must win game. I think they will salute.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:01 am

Who will tag serial Pies hater Matt Stevic.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11   

Jump to: