Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farrewell #12 Tom Wilson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

But like Henry, not ready for the big time yet.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 am

It was disappointing to see quite how great the gulf is between the VFL and the AFL on display. He went poorly but he is much better than that. Plainly, neither he nor Henry should be playing in the seniors at this stage.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:15 am

Haff wrote:

That was my thought too. Both seemed pretty ineffectual (and finished in our bottom three in the "AFL fantasy points" along with Mihocek). The trouble with Wilson, though, is that, unlike Henry, time isn’t on his side – this probably is his make-or-break year.

I guess the question is whether we persist with senior matches in the hope they learn on the job, or give a chance to someone else. (For what it’s worth, Keane also looked all at sea in his first senior match of the year against West Coast, but has steadily improved in each game since and is showing really good signs now – so perhaps there’s something to be said for patience, particularly in a year where on-field results have become fairly academic.)

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:27 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
It was disappointing to see quite how great the gulf is between the VFL and the AFL on display. He went poorly but he is much better than that. Plainly, neither he nor Henry should be playing in the seniors at this stage.

That pretty much sums it up. Wilson had it on a string at VFL level.
Debuting against the swans in Sydney is also a tough ask. It’s a small ground and they are a team that comes at you rather than holding their space.
The lesson is now to go away and work on what will make him better prepared for the next chance at that level.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:29 am

I think it was a rude awakening for Wilson, playing in the seniors. However, the experience will do him good and I hope we stick with him for another week or two. At least he has a man'a body, unlike poor Henry who is physically out of his depth atm.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:31 am

To be fair, he wasn’t given much help to get into the game by the blokes around him!

Pretty sure it was Maynard (king of turnover and brain farts) who missed him with an early easy pass.

Then someone else almost put him in hospital with a shocking handball.

From what I saw, there’s something to develop on.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:37 am

Our list is awful. It's too depressing to even analyze his game. Way out of his depth. Possibly will never be an afl standard player, like two thirds of our list.

Watching Keane play makes me want to rip my own arm off and throw it thru the TV. Our key talk stocks are disgraceful. We.dont even have a midfield.

It's worse than the late 90s. Luke godden would be a star in this team.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:37 am

David wrote:
Haff wrote:

That was my thought too. Both seemed pretty ineffectual (and finished in our bottom three in the "AFL fantasy points" along with Mihocek). The trouble with Wilson, though, is that, unlike Henry, time isn’t on his side – this probably is his make-or-break year.

I guess the question is whether we persist with senior matches in the hope they learn on the job, or give a chance to someone else. (For what it’s worth, Keane also looked all at sea in his first senior match of the year against West Coast, but has steadily improved in each game since and is showing really good signs now – so perhaps there’s something to be said for patience, particularly in a year where on-field results have become fairly academic.)

We need to remember, for a debutant, it’s either the biggest day of their lives to date or an interview for the job of a lifetime. Sometimes you just fluff your lines or nerves get the better of you. We’ve all been there and they’re no different and in truth, they have had way less life experiences to call on than we have. Never condemn a kid on his first few games ( and I’m not saying you are ) because the situation can be simply to overwhelming for them.
One of the best stories of rags to riches is Kade Simpson. Officially didn’t touch the ball in his first 8 ( ? ) games of senior AFL. The rest is history.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:15 pm

A real baptism of fire for the lad, got a few hospital passes and 2 on 1s early that did him no favours, but in the second half he began to look better, runs hard and is strong over the ball.

I think he has the capacity to be a Heritier type linebreaker, him and Poulter, if given license to

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:38 pm

These kids are getting opportunities for two reasons—one being their form in the VFL
The second being that with injuries to some of the very few experienced players on the list we have to play them

It’s a road not of their choosing and we must accept that a first gamer will be at odds with instant success

Two players introduced who had solid grounding and a season of competitive footy are performing well. Poulter & McCreery are they

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:49 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
To be fair, he wasn’t given much help to get into the game by the blokes around him!

Pretty sure it was Maynard (king of turnover and brain farts) who missed him with an early easy pass.

Then someone else almost put him in hospital with a shocking handball.

From what I saw, there’s something to develop on.

Agreed. He wasn’t helped much at all by our depleted defence (and lack of support from the midfield not running back hard enough)

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:59 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
David wrote:
Haff wrote:

We need to remember, for a debutant, it’s either the biggest day of their lives to date or an interview for the job of a lifetime. Sometimes you just fluff your lines or nerves get the better of you. We’ve all been there and they’re no different and in truth, they have had way less life experiences to call on than we have. Never condemn a kid on his first few games ( and I’m not saying you are ) because the situation can be simply to overwhelming for them.
One of the best stories of rags to riches is Kade Simpson. Officially didn’t touch the ball in his first 8 ( ? ) games of senior AFL. The rest is history.

Wow, that's interesting about Kade Simpson!! Shocked

Yep, patience with all of these newbies is a virtue, I reckon. We really have no choice in the current situation either.
It was a difficult game for Wilson to show what he might be capable of, especially when senior players around him were making so many skill errors and on a smallish ground.
I reckon he should definitely get another chance at some point.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:38 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
David wrote:
Haff wrote:

It was actually his first three matches (every match he played in his first season), but that is astonishing!

I was thinking the same about first-game nerves, to be honest. But spots in a team are competitive, and more than a few players only ever get a single chance at senior level, so those harsh decisions do get made from time to time. Interestingly, Buckley seems more willing than other coaches to give players second chances – we had nine single-game players under Malthouse, but only one* under Buckley, and that was Kayle Kirby, who would have almost certainly had other chances if it hadn’t been for his premature retirement.

*presuming Max Lynch gets another chance.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:04 pm

Derek Shaw played in a Collingwood grand final and had zero possessions😥
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:10 pm

Assessing this type of player ( Cat B rookie) after one game is a little silly. How many games did it take for him to look good at VFL level? More than one I’d say. Give him a 5-6 week run at it & he will look a different player especially with Roughead & Howe around him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: