Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farrewell #12 Tom Wilson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza, he did get on the stats sheet though by giving a free kick away to Southby!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:30 pm

Haff wrote:
But like Henry, not ready for the big time yet.

At the Moment we don't have many AFL Level Players in the Side Then

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:55 pm

I have seen Henry a few times this year.
I would not play him again this year
Keep playing Wilson.
He is a bit older and we need a few games to see what he is capable of
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:57 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Assessing this type of player ( Cat B rookie) after one game is a little silly. How many games did it take for him to look good at VFL level? More than one I’d say. Give him a 5-6 week run at it & he will look a different player especially with Roughead & Howe around him.

That’s a really good point about being surrounded by leaders or quality players when you’re still trying to make your way in the game. You learn more and your job becomes that little bit easier when you’re surrounded by cool heads and not more inexperience or panic merchants.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Lazza, he did get on the stats sheet though by giving a free kick away to Southby!

Lol 😆 I had forgotten that priceless contribution! Thanks for reminding me😁

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:13 pm

We aren't a club who ever gives debutants "soft kills" are we.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 pm

David wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
David wrote:
Haff wrote:
But like Henry, not ready for the big time yet.

That was my thought too. Both seemed pretty ineffectual (and finished in our bottom three in the "AFL fantasy points" along with Mihocek). The trouble with Wilson, though, is that, unlike Henry, time isn’t on his side – this probably is his make-or-break year.

I guess the question is whether we persist with senior matches in the hope they learn on the job, or give a chance to someone else. (For what it’s worth, Keane also looked all at sea in his first senior match of the year against West Coast, but has steadily improved in each game since and is showing really good signs now – so perhaps there’s something to be said for patience, particularly in a year where on-field results have become fairly academic.)

We need to remember, for a debutant, it’s either the biggest day of their lives to date or an interview for the job of a lifetime. Sometimes you just fluff your lines or nerves get the better of you. We’ve all been there and they’re no different and in truth, they have had way less life experiences to call on than we have. Never condemn a kid on his first few games ( and I’m not saying you are ) because the situation can be simply to overwhelming for them.
One of the best stories of rags to riches is Kade Simpson. Officially didn’t touch the ball in his first 8 ( ? ) games of senior AFL. The rest is history.

It was actually his first three matches (every match he played in his first season), but that is astonishing!

I was thinking the same about first-game nerves, to be honest. But spots in a team are competitive, and more than a few players only ever get a single chance at senior level, so those harsh decisions do get made from time to time. Interestingly, Buckley seems more willing than other coaches to give players second chances – we had nine single-game players under Malthouse, but only one* under Buckley, and that was Kayle Kirby, who would have almost certainly had other chances if it hadn’t been for his premature retirement.

*presuming Max Lynch gets another chance.

Thanks David, my mistake. I knew Simpson had duck eggs for a while but obviously not eight straight 😬. Injuries have forced our hand a bit prematurely but that could also be a positive in the long run.
Time will tell.
Cheers
E 

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:37 am

RudeBoy wrote:
I think it was a rude awakening for Wilson, playing in the seniors. However, the experience will do him good and I hope we stick with him for another week or two. At least he has a man'a body, unlike poor Henry who is physically out of his depth atm.

I agree with this. I think the benefit of having them play every now and then in the seniors is exactly for that reality check. They might think they are going well (when starring in the VFL), but put them out there and they should realize just how much work they have ahead of them. Now we see if they are hungry enough to work hard enough to make the next step in their development.

I think its also good to shut the fans up as well.

In summary, while Poulter and McCreery i think are benefitting from senior playing time, Henry, McCrae and Wilson have a lot of work to do. I think Murphy was like that 2 or 3 years ago. He looks much more ready now. i'm sure the other guys will be ready one day too. Not this year though.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:31 am

Lazza wrote:
Derek Shaw played in a Collingwood grand final and had zero possessions😥

Leon Davis, 2002 GF 0, Jarrod Malloy 1 and Carl Steinfort 2 in that game too.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:45 am

Cam wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Derek Shaw played in a Collingwood grand final and had zero possessions😥

Leon Davis, 2002 GF 0, Jarrod Malloy 1 and Carl Steinfort 2 in that game too.

OMG Cam, I had forgotten that bit😲 That is inexcusable, especially in a GF. How can that happen unless you play small minutes? Unreal🤔

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:53 am

I think it's quite unkind to keep bringing Derek Shaw up. He was only ever a fringe player, at his peak (47 games over 7 seasons). He was played because there was no-one else. So, he only had 4 disposals in the PF the previous week, too. He had been dropped mid-season for poor form and really only came back during the finals because of injuries.

The players that have always annoyed me the most at Collingwood are the ones who have turned up in finals and routinely played way below their "ordinary" standard. We've had many of those over the years - their many failures to turn up in finals have cost us big time. Shaw's didn't. That year, it was the useless Allan Edwards who was probably most to blame - he was our "star" recruit but could only manage 1.1 from 11 disposals and gave away 4 free kicks. Other players performed, relatively speaking, much worse than Shaw - but many of them were also fringe players, so I don't think singling them out is fair. On that day, Shaw was 20 years old and was playing his 24th game.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:10 pm

I actually thought Wilson went okay, all things considered. I like what I see in all of Wilson, Poulter, and Mcreery. I'm not sold on Henry, yet. I'd be interested to see how McInnes goes and want to see Macrae get a better run at it.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:25 pm

One of the rougher debuts for sure as every time he found himself with the footy was caught in a swarm of tackling Swans players.

SCG is a tough place to make your debut little space and time. Judge again in 10 games time.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:03 pm

^yeah the tackling reminded me of the reception our boys gave Jack Watts
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:12 pm

His first opportunity at a kick was a misdirected pass from Maynard that went to Wilson's opponent. His second opportunity for a mark was a ball that sailed over the boundary line out on the full. But let's do what Collingwood supporters do and trash our first gamers until they get a few games and then we talk them up as the next Royce Hart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: