Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Future is brighter than some might say

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do think the future is bright, we get a new coach, go to the draft, we avoid expensive free agents and save our warchest for retaining players that we develop, when our premiership window realistically opens again we consider free agents that fill a need we're missing.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:25 pm

I can see us retaining Buckley and moving on Harv’s and Sando. We won’t be going balls and all on a untried coach and the high profile ones are working.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:28 pm

simon tonna wrote:
I can see us retaining Buckley and moving on Harv’s and Sando. We won’t be going balls and all on a untried coach and the high profile ones are working.

Now I got no idea what they'll do but if what you say is the case it has to be a long contract, 3 years min and more likely 4-5 - do you think they can sell that?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:40 pm

magpieazza wrote:
Im really hoping Greenwood is fit enough to go around one more year, hes a tough nut and steadies the midfield.

Probs Mayne will need to go but we are stretched for experienced players so Thomas Cox Magden and the like will see one more year.

Greenwood and Mayne deserve another year far more than Thomas. Mayne’s role in the team is underrated. Thomas and Cox have to go but I’m ambivalent about Magden 🤔

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:59 pm

2021 Best Line up perhaps:

B: Quaynor Roughead Howe

HB: Crisp Moore Maynard

C: J Daicos Pendlebury Steele

HF: Henry Mihocek N Murphy

F: Kelly DeGoey Elliott

F: Grundy T Brown Adams

ICH: Noble, N Daicos, D Cameron, T Wilson

EMERG: Rantall, Bianco, McCreery, Macrae, Poulter

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:05 pm

So everyone's drawing the line on Callum Brown? Can't see him in your list....shame he doesn't get as much as a chance as the coaching staff to show the goods

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:09 pm

We are one seriously injury to Pendles away from a whole world of hurt, for a few years at least

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:15 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
So everyone's drawing the line on Callum Brown? Can't see him in your list....shame he doesn't get as much as a chance as the coaching staff to show the goods

Unfortunately contracted to end of 2022, his Auskick kicking depth and Jarryd Blair Mark 2 low possession game, low goalkicking prowess has him as a Reserves Player only. As Metallica once opined: Sad but true.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
simon tonna wrote:

Now I got no idea what they'll do but if what you say is the case it has to be a long contract, 3 years min and more likely 4-5 - do you think they can sell that?

Long contracts are a forgotten nightmare now at Collingwood, well not forgotten but you know what I mean. I would think 2 years with trigger clauses binging with every milestone achieved. A couple of super assistants that aren’t pushovers is what we need and then for the takeover.

MickMCG34 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 pm

I agree.
The typical depressing, pessimistic atmosphere on this site supports 1-3 years instead of 4+.
2017 was a bottomless pit and depressing .... what then (almost) happened!!!!!
With quality coaches.

melliot 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:19 am

MickMCG34 wrote:
I agree.
The typical depressing, pessimistic atmosphere on this site supports 1-3 years instead of 4+.
2017 was a bottomless pit and depressing .... what then (almost) happened!!!!!
With quality coaches.

2018 did occur after a refurbishment of the list in 2014 to 2017. And imo that period was an under performance. List was much more capable. Just poorly coached. 2018 was a way over due spike. I was more positive thru that period because the list was good.

Right now our list demographic of 22-25 is pretty barron. The concern is that by the time our current kids are 23, our 28+ stars will be cooked. List management over the next 2 years is most critical. More than the coach.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:04 am

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:

Agreed. The kid has had to carry the weight of unrelenting expectations throughout his short career thus far - he certainly has the talent and ability but I think he just hasn’t been able to fully settle into his role or find himself as a footballer yet. The patience being afforded to him is deserved and warranted - apparently he is an outstanding person both around the club and privately. He’s totally committed to being the best he can be at training and socially. If anything I believe he needs to let go a bit, relax, realise he’s not the messiah and just enjoy his football - if anything I think he’s trying just way too hard chasing the game and not letting the game come to him. If you’ve witnessed Shai Bolton’s development he went from average to outstanding doing just that. Playing him in the appropriate position wouldn’t hurt either but keeping the faith with him will pay dividends in the long run - I see him as developing into a Jy Simpkin type of player (ironically they’re from the same draft) who’s probably advanced in his development because of where the Roos have been and the overall lack of expectations on him. Callum will not be a superstar but will be a good serviceable player - if not for us then definitely for the team he ends up at if we dump him.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:30 pm

When Callum's body is ready, he'll be our starting inside mid at centre bounces
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:31 pm

^ I can't believe that people can't see this.
DT 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:14 pm

I am not so sure. I think recent history (last 20 years) suggests that clubs can go round and round and not progress for a decade or more. We have such an unbalanced list and poor coaches that I worry that the new players are not being trained properly and then will be badly affected. We are on a precipice now - if we get Clarko and a decent recruiter then we can rebound in 3 years to being competitive. If not, then I see a lot of pain over the 2020s and potentially the worst decade in this club’s history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: