Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Try this for something different...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dan 

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:53 pm
Post subject: Try this for something different...Reply with quote

What do you do with a player who doesn't have a lot of tricks, but loves his club and team-mates and will basically do whatever the coach says? Make him a tagger.

Callum Brown - come on down.

Before we toss him away completely throw him in as a run-with player. God knows, we need one. If it doesn't work, no loss - not as if CB is hurting the opposition in his current format. If it does work - brilliant!
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Except he's a midget just like half the team! Nobody in our team can tackle well enough to be a run with player, that's why we don't have any taggers.
Alex 

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:35 pm

I dont mind the idea. As you said he doesnt do anything for us anyway, and we now have some time to experiment with these types of players. I also agree with Hill-Billy here that he is a midget. Lets say we try this next week, who is North's most damaging midfielder? Cunnington? He is way to strong for Cal Brown. I guess you could put him on Simpkin, but as a tagger Cal Brown would still have some limitations. So maybe next week we try him on Jy Simpkin, or someone else, and see how he goes. Or maybe Buckley will try him at a new role? Maybe a half-forward who doesnt kick any goals or impact the game in any way? The logical choice is the former, while the choice Nathan makes will most likely be the latter. All we can do is hope he tries something with young cal.
matrix10 

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:41 pm

He has been played as a defensive tagger most weeks.

Against Brisbane- on Daniel Rich in the last q......

Against Essendon- on Heppell......

As someone else suggested- he would be worth trying at centre bounces-he is very good in and around stoppages (and the rest of our team basically suck) and then play as a deep pressure forward.
Big T 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:18 am

Centre for sure
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:01 am

I see Cal Brown as a Liam Picken type.
A son of a gun who, unfortunately, doesn't have the talent of his parent but will run through a brick wall for the club.
Picken started off as a tagger. However, taggers are out of fashion.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 am

Not sure if Callum Brown can play the forward role that Liam Picken played and wouldn’t like to see Callum played out of the middle. I would have liked Callum to have played in the backline against Tippi in the Anzac Day game and Quaynor to be have played further up the field.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:51 am

I’ve seen very little from Callum to suggest to me he’s going to make it. He seems fleet of foot but not overly quick if that makes sense. Approaching list clogger status.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:46 pm

You could never question his effort, but sadly, the kid just seems to lack the required skills to be a successful AFL player.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:22 pm
Post subject: Re: Try this for something different...Reply with quote

Big Dan wrote:
What do you do with a player who doesn't have a lot of tricks, but loves his club and team-mates and will basically do whatever the coach says? Make him a tagger.

Callum Brown - come on down.

Before we toss him away completely throw him in as a run-with player. God knows, we need one. If it doesn't work, no loss - not as if CB is hurting the opposition in his current format. If it does work - brilliant!

Thinking Brent Macaffer when we turned him into a tagger.

Cal is 178cm. That doesnt mean he cant be a good AFL footaller. Caleb Daniel, Zach Merrett, one of Nicks all time faves; Jarryd Blair, etc.

Cal can tackle. He had 89 tackles in 2019. If he played like he did in round 8 of that year more often, there wouldn't be a thread like this. What he lacks tho is consistency. Have we been playing him in the wrong position? He can sneak the odd goal in too. But is he a small forward? Or a midfielder?

I like this idea. We should try it out. At 23, we shouldn't chuck him to the scrap heap just yet. There's a few older guys that we need to look at dumping first. That and I'm sure there's been a few threads in the passed asking about Josh Daicos. Now everyone loves him.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:24 pm

He absolutely should be tagging. I'd have him doing it on the backline because I don't think he has the height or speed to be playing out of the middle. Tyler Brown on the other hand is better suited to playing out of the middle.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 pm

But he seems to lack all the basic skills. Confused
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:24 pm

His disposal efficiency is 68%. Needs to get that a little bit higher. His accuracy in front of goal needs work.

If anything, he needs to get more of the ball. But I dont know how damaging he can be with it.

His pressure acts and tackling are his strongest assets and I believe is above average in this area. So do we use that in the fwd line, where he can also sneak a goal? Or do we use it in the middle - as a tagger? Or do we use it in defence when we already have that area mostly covered?

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:46 pm

I wouldn't even know which Port player to target; they are all so damaging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: