Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Match Committee think we're idiots

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:33 pm
Post subject: Match Committee think we're idiotsReply with quote

It's unfathomable to think that Callum Brown and J Thomas are ahead of Nathan Murphy plus have any meaningful forward abilities. Let me explain:

1. Nathan Murphy: pre-concussion was one of the few redeeming factors in what is a horrible year. So today he was passed over for selection but was fit enough to be the medical sub. It's an indictment on Bux' "defensive first" mantra that they couldn't find a forward or wing role for him today.

2. Callum Brown: this is bordering on unintelligent. Not just the missed shot from 25 metres out that hooked left but on EVERY occasion he gets the ball inside 50, he fluffs it. Whether it's short passes despite being only 25 metres out or as in the first quarter he virtually MISSED the ball doing a snap. 9 games for 2 goals says it all.

3. J Thomas: 10 games for 2 goals. It's 59 games since the GF 2018 and the downward spiral KEEPS GETTING REWARDED with selection.

As I said, completely devoid of intelligence.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When they are Idiots
Alex 

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:57 pm

Murphy for Brown this week.

Elliott for Thomas next week.

Its unlucky McInnes got injured, would love to see him in there instead of these two.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:38 am

I think, as you say, the match committee create the team every week and go, "Hey let's log onto Nick's/E&W/Twitter/Reddit/Facebook/Insta [as a group, all on their phones] and see if they think we are taking the piss with our team selections. We will fool them into thinking we are picking our best available 22!"
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 am

Well Cam, they have been torturing Nicksters in that way since the turn of the Century - why would they stop now?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:22 pm

You wonder the sanity of thinking that C Brown and J Thomas with a combined total of 4 goals from 19 matches between them has any intrinsic basis on attempting to win a game of football.
ResPie 

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:46 pm

Well said inxs88 - we need guys in the team who can execute and are hungry to prove themselves. Look at McCreery, he's busting a gut and hitting the scoreboard.

Would love to see Trent Bianco play as this kid is a lifelong Pies fan and has skill to burn and he could release Noble to wing.

Murphy is a no brainer - if he was fit enough for medical sub he should have played. We need kids with ability to get a decent run at it.

Callum just has not hard momentum through his kicks and his set shot confidence must be approaching zero. These types of skills can be worked on through repetitious training. Missing set shots from 25m out is like a golfer missing a 2 foot put - should not happen in this professional era

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:33 pm

Brown is not a forward. Play him position and see what happens. Look at Darcy Parrish.

JT needs to kick more goals, thats for sure. He does some good things now and then, but the good does not outweigh the bad.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:43 pm

Do AFL clubs even have a match committee these days or is that an anachronism from days gone by?

If they do, who is on it? who would know better than the coaches?

I completely buy into the idea that this match committee that may or may not exist expend effort in picking a team not to win games but to mess with the heads of people on social media. PM me if you want to buy ocean view property near Uluru.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:40 pm

Cox and Jamie Elliott back on our forward line, cant come soon enough. I think JT needs a spell in the magoos, im not sold on Cameron, not yet, but id be happy to be proven incorrect.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:30 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Cox and Jamie Elliott back on our forward line, cant come soon enough. I think JT needs a spell in the magoos, im not sold on Cameron, not yet, but id be happy to be proven incorrect.

i'd like to see what happens with Cox and Cameron in the same forward line, especially with Elliott to help open things up.
Craigmac 

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:35 am

The problem with Brown and Thomas is they don't seem to have clear roles they can execute.

Neither are marking forwards or skillful groundball forwards. Both struggle to make the distance from 40 metres out.
Neither accumulate possessions to play in the midfield. Thomas does not have the engine or Brown the size to play in defense or tag.

Thomas seems to struggle to cover the ground so 2 way running for him is out. If he cannot be a clearance midfielder their is no role for him now.

I would love to see C Brown improve like Daicos but just does not appear to be happening. He is our 2021 Jarryd Blair.

Poulter has come in and has a clear role on the wing and can execute it. McCreery is showing football smarts as a small goal kicking forward with defensive attributes. Wilson was better this week and will settle into defense allowing Crisp up the field more.

We need to look at a few of the other kids now that we have accepted our fate this year. Bianco looks like another small defender with a good leg......perhaps we can release IQ or Noble up the field for more run. The club asked IQ to be tried in the middle during his under 18 days. Maybe time to try him in the middle now.

Keep playing Cameron. He is a back up ruckman who can kick goals resting forward on the Leigh Brown mold.

Macrae and Rantall need to be tried in the middle or wing when they come in. Playing them as forwards with our delivery is just a waste of time.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:58 pm

Why haven't we tried Cal in the guts (someone mentioned Darcy Parish).
I think this is where he can use his strengths - quick hands and contested ball winning ability.

Playing as a small forward is one of the hardest positions in this side - we rarely get the ball down there quick enough to be able to set ourselves up for a crumb when the ball hits the deck.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:58 pm

Why haven't we tried Cal in the guts (someone mentioned Darcy Parish).
I think this is where he can use his strengths - quick hands and contested ball winning ability.

Playing as a small forward is one of the hardest positions in this side - we rarely get the ball down there quick enough to be able to set ourselves up for a crumb when the ball hits the deck.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:23 pm

Maybe if they treat match selection more like SuperCoach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: