Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win for Bucks. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Maximus Farquaad Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Jack Dyer saw Merrett at 15 yrs old, -he wanted the Tigers to recruit him- told Richmond recruiters, " Get onto this kid Merrett, he can stab kick a ball up a chooks arse from forty yards "! Very Happy Laughing

He was a beauty wasn't he!! So many times those stab kicks landed on the chest of Peter McKenna. Glorious!!!

They must have been bloody long kicks if they were landing on McKenna's chest. McKenna's career commenced 5 years after Merrett's concluded. You're probably thinking of Barry Price, not Merrett.

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:31 am

inxs88 wrote:
Oh hello Mark "lineament sniffer" Korda who seemed to find the circle for the song yet couldn't find the head table at the presser last Wednesday. Flog.

Did he even know the words to the song??

Whichever way they want to spin it, it was deplorable that the president was not present for the press conference.
The boot studder stands in the background NOT the president.

Anyway, a great win by the Pies. Maybe too little too late but either way, it was a fitting end to Buckley’s current time at Collingwood.

He will be back in another capacity I feel.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:41 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Hitouts

Lynch 23-20 Gawn 😎

I think the better part is that he kept Gawn's hitouts to advantage right down and was involved very positively himself. The hitout-to-advantage stat isn't available immediately post game - but I will add it here when it is available.

Gawn had just one hitout to advantage in the first half (according to the Fox commentary) and just 6 for the game. That was more than anyone on the ground but he and Jackson only had 8 and 3 Collingwood players who rucked had 7 between them (Lynch and Cameron each 3, Roughead 1).

That certainly meant that our strengthened midfield (Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp, Daicos and De Goey all at the centre clearances in various combinations for much of the match) had an opportunity. What is interesting is that Melbourne has been winning games without winning the clearances decisively (eg, last week they lost the centre battle to Brisbane 17 clearances to 11, although they won the stoppage clearances by 8 ) and by being very efficient with their disposal and especially inside 50, so I think the midfield runners did an outstanding job. Being on the small SCG probably helped, too, I suspect - though you can only beat them where you play them.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:42 am

You mentioned Cameron. OK another part time ruck who floated around forward space plucking marks and kicking goals. Leigh “Leroy “ Brown & went on to be a premiership player
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:46 am

Yes, except Brown had the tremendous advantage of playing as a third tall in a team with Cloke and Dawes, whereas Buckley persisted for 10 seasons with only playing two talls, one a resting ruck, in the forward line. Brown was much more mobile than any of our second rucks, of course, - and he had lots of quality attributes (he was, after all, a very high draft pick, originally) that meant he could do well in the right slot but I think he would have struggled terribly in in the structure that has always passed for our forward line under the sacked coach.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:56 am

It was the perfect storm. Pendlebury and DeGoey playing their best football together around the stoppages and clearances. And Sidey coming good in the second half.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:59 am

Yes - despite the usual criticism of Sidebottom, he was involved in and responsible for (every or) nearly every score we posted in the third quarter. He's never going to get any faster, of course, but his gut-running to get into position to take the pressure off the defence in the second half was remarkable.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:05 pm

And the more games McCreery gets to gain experience with Billy being more consistent
Throw in Ash Johnson if he is as good as his video clips show. Darcy chipping in to score (like Monday)

Then Pendles class with JDG and Tay and Crisp. JDG need not be forward at all Just a tough mid with goal sense

Boy can’t wait till these kids gain experience to add to JDG and Pendles

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:10 pm

I’m loving the 💩stir “Snow Bunny “ as my distaste of this colllection of class snobbish tools goes to mid 50,s
They had Collins St surgeons ,lawyers and the like and in a paper article Laurie Mithen and Dr Dennis Cordner complained the fact that they had to play games at working class Vic Park & Brunswick St grounds.

Snobbish lot for mine. And cop that from working class side yesterday

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:19 pm

Lord Maximus Farquaad wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

He was a beauty wasn't he!! So many times those stab kicks landed on the chest of Peter McKenna. Glorious!!!

They must have been bloody long kicks if they were landing on McKenna's chest. McKenna's career commenced 5 years after Merrett's concluded. You're probably thinking of Barry Price, not Merrett.

Laughing Laughing You're right!! Big mistake by me. Barry Price was the one I watched play in tandem with McKenna. Embarassed
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:27 pm

I don’t know about Bubba Price but Thorold Merret to a leaf out of Bradman training ( the golf ball hit up against a wall with cricket stump)

Story goes he had a car tyre suspended on a rope near ground level he would get back 50 yards then a short run up and stab the ball at chest high thru the centre of the tyre

Jack Dyer said to Lou once “That boy could kick a ball running full speed right up a chook,s ar-*-s”

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:59 pm

So good to see Brayden Maynard awarded Player of the Week. He was back to his bullocking, fierce, tough, attacking best. It was an inspiring game from him.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:28 pm

Required reading (particularly the first part, because the same can be said of many here on Nicks).

The Mongrel Punt, Collingwood v Melbourne – The Good, Bad and Ugly : https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2021/2021/06/14/collingwood-v-melbourne-the-good-bad-and-ugly-released/
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:55 pm

Because there a lot of people in the media on Nick's who "will sit back, sip at a drink tonight and concentrate on the next big story, because what we’ve seen over the past week has helped them justify their jobs"?

Or, perhaps you were thinking of Marcus' comment at the end, namely, "If the pies can be inspired to beat Melb. ,what [or who] went wrong with the rest of the season? Psychos. Must be all in the head."?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Yes, except Brown had the tremendous advantage of playing as a third tall in a team with Cloke and Dawes, whereas Buckley persisted for 10 seasons with only playing two talls, one a resting ruck, in the forward line. Brown was much more mobile than any of our second rucks, of course, - and he had lots of quality attributes (he was, after all, a very high draft pick, originally) that meant he could do well in the right slot but I think he would have struggled terribly in in the structure that has always passed for our forward line under the sacked coach.

He was a big burly guy who crushed through packs and a fairly accurate kick on goal. He was highly underrated at the time and is exactly the sort of guy we need in the team now, who's been missing from the team for the last 10 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14   

Jump to: