Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Captain 2022

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:57 pm
Post subject: New Captain 2022Reply with quote

I think it is time to call over on a wonderful career for our Captain. A true gentleman of the game and a great player, but if we are to start a fresh and fix this bloody mess on the field, we need a ruthless new coach and a new Captain. We have to change the culture and the game plan. New leaders , cull some of these disgracefully over paid players, and get a true hungry winning culture back in the Club. I see at least 40 percent of our senior playing list being culled at the end of the year. Our performance this year is the worst since 1998 and we cannot keep high paid players who are not going to be part of our next flag. Time to get ruthless and fix the crisis.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you on about? Pendles was ok today. He’s on about 700k a year according to the Herald-Sun which is not a lot of money. He’s been a wonderful player and captain for us. He can decide for himself when he wants to relieve the captaincy to someone else. We owe him that.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:42 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
What are you on about? Pendles was ok today. He’s on about 700k a year according to the Herald-Sun which is not a lot of money. He’s been a wonderful player and captain for us. He can decide for himself when he wants to relieve the captaincy to someone else. We owe him that.

Roughly $30 k per home and away game. You suggest that is not a lot of money ? Omg!!! We were a Club built on working class egalitarianism. These player salaries are destroying the magnificent spirit of our game. Or what it once was. Don’t make me sick defending this stuff when global poverty is at sickening proportions. Our own Australian homelessness and poverty is at record levels. Let’s not twist service and loyalty with the crude realty of business and modern football. Why is a footballer paid these obscene amounts and a nurse or teacher paid comparative peanuts ? Interesting conundrum for dumb people to think about!

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:46 pm

We should have no captain, in honour of our once and future captain Tom Langdon who can now no longer be captain and can’t be replaced.

Or just give it to Josh Thomas, everyone loves him
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:48 pm

Wouldn’t smashing salaries affect us being a destination club? Catch 22. cut player payments and we lose top end players, increase them and cap issues arise. A balance ideally would help but easier said than done.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:08 pm

Let the leadership group decide. This is where we can actually start to change the mindset of the team. Not autocratic decisions handed down. The leadership group should discuss with each other and with the rest of the team who the next captain should be. The leadership group then votes on it. Have faith in them to choose the right man.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:30 pm

Lazza wrote:
Wouldn’t smashing salaries affect us being a destination club? Catch 22. cut player payments and we lose top end players, increase them and cap issues arise. A balance ideally would help but easier said than done.

Surely, you know that "smashing salaries" is not possible. All clubs are compelled to pay a minimum portion of the salary cap (last time I looked, it was 92% - it may have adjusted, slightly). There is some flexibility to go slightly over or slightly under for a short period but, in substance, no club can decide that their team isn't good enough and they aren't going to pay them so much. The rules simply don't allow that. You can get rid of the odd, over-paid, underperforming potato from time to time - but we moved Treloar on last year
AJ 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:34 pm

Have the new coach decide. I’m not sure I trust the judgement of Grundy, Sidebottom and Moore.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:52 pm

AJ wrote:
Have the new coach decide. I’m not sure I trust the judgement of Grundy, Sidebottom and Moore.

Sure, new coach has input. But it should be a democratic discussion.
Leadership is not restricted to those you mention. It is: Pendles, darcy, Grundy, Sidey, Tay, Roughie and Howe.
Those seven, and the coach, with feedback from playing group. Then the leadership group decides. You gotta trust them by giving them the responsibility. that is how you galvanise a team of young men.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:05 pm

Moore is the Only Choice
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Surely, you know that "smashing salaries" is not possible. All clubs are compelled to pay a minimum portion of the salary cap (last time I looked, it was 92% - it may have adjusted, slightly). There is some flexibility to go slightly over or slightly under for a short period but, in substance, no club can decide that their team isn't good enough and they aren't going to pay them so much. The rules simply don't allow that. You can get rid of the odd, over-paid, underperforming potato from time to time - but we moved Treloar on last year

I might be wrong, but I think clubs are obligated to pay a minimum of 95% of their salary cap.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:46 pm

It’s about time the people pushed back and stood against the greed of player payments. I personally find a society that allows such obscene salaries to some elites compared to the rest of us, a filthy dirty indictment on the human race or perhaps our western system. With poverty and homelessness growing at record levels, there can be no moral justification for paying a sportsperson or celebrity these grotesque amounts. I guess that is the whole way our rotten system now works. We all live pay to pay whilst footballers, media types, corporates all live like a ruling class. No one is worth what many of these players are being paid for kicking a football. This is what is destroying our game. I loved the days when footballers were just like us. And as for the Captain, surely our team performance this year should dictate change just like the Coach ?
AJ 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:03 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
AJ wrote:

Leadership is not restricted to those you mention. It is: Pendles, darcy, Grundy, Sidey, Tay, Roughie and Howe.
Those seven, and the coach, with feedback from playing group. Then the leadership group decides. You gotta trust them by giving them the responsibility. that is how you galvanise a team of young men.

The time for galvanise (whatever you mean by that) is over.
Coach chooses. Enough mucking around. It’s gotten us no where.
The new coach who are the leaders and who is there to get a pay check.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:11 am

AJ wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
AJ wrote:

The time for galvanise (whatever you mean by that) is over.
Coach chooses. Enough mucking around. It’s gotten us no where.
The new coach who are the leaders and who is there to get a pay check.

Yeah you are right, the galvanise time is over. It went from March 2018 to September 2018. After that, we reverted to the old model of coach (Bux) decides.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:22 am

Hiss wrote:
It’s about time the people pushed back and stood against the greed of player payments. I personally find a society that allows such obscene salaries to some elites compared to the rest of us, a filthy dirty indictment on the human race or perhaps our western system. With poverty and homelessness growing at record levels, there can be no moral justification for paying a sportsperson or celebrity these grotesque amounts. I guess that is the whole way our rotten system now works. We all live pay to pay whilst footballers, media types, corporates all live like a ruling class. No one is worth what many of these players are being paid for kicking a football. This is what is destroying our game. I loved the days when footballers were just like us. And as for the Captain, surely our team performance this year should dictate change just like the Coach ?

Hiss your nostalgia is moving. And I agree, poverty and homelessness is an indictment on the current social system, but afL footballers and their salaries are not the cause of this.
Morality should not be mentioned in reference to the salaries of AFL players, rather it should be mentioned in reference only to the ruling class itself. The salaries of afL players are not the issue. It is the corporate sponsors, the betting industry etc who are destroying the game. Footballers can no longer "be just like us" when millions of dollars of profits are riding on their performances. But their salaries, is just pitiful loose change compared with the massive corporate profits that are being gouged out of these young guys' physical courage every week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: