Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade target 2022

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Merrett was set to sign 5 year deal with us until we sacked Buckley
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:00 pm

^ Given all the noise about our salary cap, were we planning to pay Merrett in magic beans? Or does this just suggest that that our salary cap is fine, we dumped Treloar because we wanted to dump Treloar and we have plenty of money to recruit an actual footballer in his place?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Given all the noise about our salary cap, were we planning to pay Merrett in magic beans? Or does this just suggest that that our salary cap is fine, we dumped Treloar because we wanted to dump Treloar and we have plenty of money to recruit an actual footballer in his place?

Again utter rubbish
If the club had a choice we would have kept Treloar
Basic facts (which I know you don’t love) is the cap dropped by $1.4m which forced our hand due to other sizeable deals being added.
The club tried other avenues first including off loading Sidey and his $650k salary but couldn’t find any takers, also offered up Cox and his $600k salary no takers, they redid Moore’s deal to shift some money back and didn’t fall into giving JDG overs and a long term deal
At the end of the day the only tradable commodity they had of interest outside the club was Treloar. Unfortunately for us our our cap plight was well known outside if club out us behind the 8 ball
We ended up having to cover some of Treloar salary
The offloading of Stephenson was more behavioural and Phillips was to cover for the short fall in having to pay part of Treloar’s salary
If we could have found homes for Sidey and Cox Treloar would still be on our list and likely given his exposed form at the dogs leading the Copeland voting
This decision not only cost us a A grade player it also split the playing group
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:40 pm

^ So, I take it you say that we weren't going to recruit Merrett and any such suggestion is nonsense because we have a salary-cap problem? Or do you see some way of reconciling an alleged attempt to recruit Merrett, thwarted only by Buckley's sacking, with a salary cap squeeze?

I'm not interested in anyone's view of Treloar. He's gone. I'm grateful. This, however, is a thread about trade targets - not trading errors the Club made back in 2015.
themonk 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:06 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ So, I take it you say that we weren't going to recruit Merrett and any such suggestion is nonsense because we have a salary-cap problem? Or do you see some way of reconciling an alleged attempt to recruit Merrett, thwarted only by Buckley's sacking, with a salary cap squeeze?

I'm not interested in anyone's view of Treloar. He's gone. I'm grateful. This, however, is a thread about trade targets - not trading errors the Club made back in 2015.

I don't care whether we paid Grundy, Moore and De Goey overs, we must have cap space due to losing the following in the past 12 months,

Treloar, Stephenson, Phillips, Langdon, Beams and Varcoe.

Keep in mind we'll add Cox and Greenwood to this list.

We had lined up Merrett late last year, the mayhem at our club since then eliminated any chance of us landing him.

Can we get Kelly? I suggest this depends on resolving the internal politics and selecting the right coach.

I'd be happy with Kelly and Mitchell going into 2022 😎

Wallis would be a poor mans Merrett, although he may blossom next to Adams.

Another option is Weideman, is he worth a future 2nd round pick?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:13 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Again utter rubbish
If the club had a choice we would have kept Treloar
Basic facts (which I know you don’t love) is the cap dropped by $1.4m which forced our hand due to other sizeable deals being added.
The club tried other avenues first including off loading Sidey and his $650k salary but couldn’t find any takers, also offered up Cox and his $600k salary no takers, they redid Moore’s deal to shift some money back and didn’t fall into giving JDG overs and a long term deal
At the end of the day the only tradable commodity they had of interest outside the club was Treloar. Unfortunately for us our our cap plight was well known outside if club out us behind the 8 ball
We ended up having to cover some of Treloar salary
The offloading of Stephenson was more behavioural and Phillips was to cover for the short fall in having to pay part of Treloar’s salary
If we could have found homes for Sidey and Cox Treloar would still be on our list and likely given his exposed form at the dogs leading the Copeland voting
This decision not only cost us a A grade player it also split the playing group

Do you make this stuff up. We never offered Sidey up for sale.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:18 am

themonk wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I don't care whether we paid Grundy, Moore and De Goey overs, we must have cap space due to losing the following in the past 12 months,

Treloar, Stephenson, Phillips, Langdon, Beams and Varcoe.

Keep in mind we'll add Cox and Greenwood to this list.

We had lined up Merrett late last year, the mayhem at our club since then eliminated any chance of us landing him.

Can we get Kelly? I suggest this depends on resolving the internal politics and selecting the right coach.

I'd be happy with Kelly and Mitchell going into 2022 😎

Wallis would be a poor mans Merrett, although he may blossom next to Adams.

My understanding is that Merrett was named as an example of someone we could recruit under free agency rules once we freed our salary cap. First and foremost we don't need Merrett. Secondly I don't believe the club ever made a serious attempt at recruiting Merrett. Merrett's manager was using other clubs to get a better deal for his client.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:43 am

piedys wrote:
Nifft wrote:
Not about disrespecting Pendles, after all the Hawks did the same with Hodge.

Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell; and it upset a substantial amount of their members too.

Yeah, they are SO upset with a culture that has resulted in multiple premierships in every decade since the 70's. Rolling Eyes

MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Sidey was not offered up. He was a bit pissed at the Treloar situation but was not going anywhere.

We created money for a FA opportunity this year.

We were looking at potentially one big name for a big contract HOWEVER new blood challenged the thinking. Could we bring two or three role player FA types at the cost of one big one ?

we brought in kids - and a heap of them that look like they can play.
We brought in two more mid season.
We will bring Nick in and already have the nucleolus to surround him.

Very similar to what the Swans have done.

The only unknown is will we give up a big name of our own for a Ben King type or try developing the tall's we have recruited ?

Cause thats what it would take to get a player like Max.

Big T 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:37 pm

We got rid of a b grader (treloar) who plays his best against poor clubs, and is perennially injured. Fact.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:10 pm

Treloar likely out for the season now - just confirmed on AFL site
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:57 pm

themonk wrote:

I would pass on Weideman. He's a very ordinary player.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:19 pm

We need a genuine key forward, we don't have one on our list, we make do with role players, experiments and conversions.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:41 pm

piedys wrote:
K wrote:
(R)Ed played for the first time in ages on the weekend (WB v. WC). Didn't see him in Q4.

(But not really the type we need.)

But if Dogs were perhaps giving him away at seasons end, you'd take him though. I'd expect his price will plummet at this rate?
We don't have much currency to trade with sadly...

(R)Ed will be out of contract. He told WB he wanted to put off negotiations while injured.

Lipinski is another WB other clubs are looking at.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:51 pm

Jezza wrote:
themonk wrote:

I would pass on Weideman. He's a very ordinary player.

He played against us Queens birthday no one noticed him including his teammates.
He gets less possessions than our whipping boy WHE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16   

Jump to: