Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade target 2022

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Alex wrote:
Haff wrote:
People. We have no money. More specifically, we have no space in the cap. We will not bring in anyone that’s on more than basement wage. Infact we will lose more players this time around but not quite in the manner of last season. I agree Wallis is a great fit but I have zero expectations at all we can even afford anyone in the cap.

Our cap really must be stuffed if we cant afford anyone after dumping 3 quality players, and retiring/delisting many more + this seasons losses which im predicting to be Cox, Sier, Mayne, Greenwood and Thomas. How can a team like Richmond have enough money to resign Bolton, Coleman-Jones and whoever else, AND they are linked to Cerra, whilst we are still in salary cap trouble after dumping so many players.

Absolutely Alex. You'd think those delisting's would give us some scope to secure talent. I'd like to think a 2021 jack Billings without the number 2 draft pick pressure would be a target given his skills, free agent status and talent gap in the forward area for us.

Absolutely, it's only logical that we can fit players in.

Asked questions of Merrett but we are a mess and Essendon is on the up.
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:16 am
Post subject: Re: Trade target 2022Reply with quote

K wrote:
Rick wrote:
Sam Petrevski-Seton is a player I wouldn’t mind the Pies to look at at seasons end. ...

Where would you play him? Can't defend. Not good enough further up the field.

Half forward.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:44 am

^ ^ ^

He probably is a half forward but in one and half seasons, all he is doing is holding up the development of the likes of Henry, McInnes, N Daicos, Bianco and maybe Johnson.
What we really need a big bodied mid so we can move on from Sier and the obvious plug and play key forward who has been playing there since he was twelve.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:11 am

We already have two big bodied mids in McInnes and Poulter while McCrae is solidly built. I’d be making a play for Billings if St Kilda is prepared to pay some of his salary. In some ways Billings is an improvement over Treloar- much better kick. Downside is he’s small and not particularly quick but his skills make up for it.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:30 am

Another thread had libba as a FA end of this year. He age demographic doesn’t fit our current climate but why wouldn’t we be asking anyway? The pro’s easily outweigh the neg’s unless he’s already resigned.
Alex 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:56 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
We already have two big bodied mids in McInnes and Poulter while McCrae is solidly built. I’d be making a play for Billings if St Kilda is prepared to pay some of his salary. In some ways Billings is an improvement over Treloar- much better kick. Downside is he’s small and not particularly quick but his skills make up for it.

McInnes, Poulter and Macrae will take time to develop into inside midfielders. Getting Constable would be an upgrade on Sier and would fill a need. Billings would be an interesting pickup, but I think we should see how De Goey goes in the midfield for the rest of the year, and we also have players like Quaynor and Maynard who could transition into midfielders in the coming years if we need.

Alex 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:57 am

simon tonna wrote:
Another thread had libba as a FA end of this year. He age demographic doesn’t fit our current climate but why wouldn’t we be asking anyway? The pro’s easily outweigh the neg’s unless he’s already resigned.

Nah he isnt leaving the Dogs

richo 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:04 am

Sydney Stack? Can’t get a game for bitchmond
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:04 am

I don't think we should take Wright's comment ' we still have issues with the cap' .. (something along those lines) at its worst.

He could be talking technically, as in some contracts aren't geared as he would like, and it will take time to realign all contracts to a proper format.

ie.. fringe players should be getting $190,000-$220,000. but we have a couple on $235,000.

or.. we had to extend and backlog a couple of contracts. They are not a burden on the cap, but still, it's not the way I'd like to see it.

or.. We still carry AT portion, this needs to weed out. But it's not fatal.

We jettisoned a lot of cap last year, and no doubt it's being absorbed as we speak.

We will have all the cap we need when we need it. Operative words: 'when we need it .

10 newbies this year, and Nick next year... At the end of 22, I'm sure we would all love to see some spare salary cap.

Is the timing of all this an accident?
richo 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:13 am

If we could get Stack, Stengle and Wallis cheap then we would add depth and some live wire excitement.
Alex 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:18 am

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
I don't think we should take Wright's comment ' we still have issues with the cap' .. (something along those lines) at its worst.

He could be talking technically, as in some contracts aren't geared as he would like, and it will take time to realign all contracts to a proper format.

ie.. fringe players should be getting $190,000-$220,000. but we have a couple on $235,000.

or.. we had to extend and backlog a couple of contracts. They are not a burden on the cap, but still, it's not the way I'd like to see it.

or.. We still carry AT portion, this needs to weed out. But it's not fatal.

We jettisoned a lot of cap last year, and no doubt it's being absorbed as we speak.

We will have all the cap we need when we need it. Operative words: 'when we need it .

10 newbies this year, and Nick next year... At the end of 22, I'm sure we would all love to see some spare salary cap.

Is the timing of all this an accident?

I agree. No need to spend huge money on a big free agent this year. We will be near the bottom 4 this year and next most likely, so gear up for 2023 and beyond when we start climbing the ladder again. Also, no need to get a player just to get a player, go and fill our needs and focus on resigning our younger players as they improve and demand larger contracts.

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:10 pm

For me Wallis is needed and wouldn't cost much.

In regards to a big name, Kelly would be great, excellent pace, decision making and kicks goals. Can we afford him?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:07 pm

Billings is 185cm (looks smaller I know) but has elite skills. has been paid "overs" vs output by the Saints and you get the feeling as they have regressed this season, they'll make some whipping boy trades and releases. Rumours of him being paid $750,000 currently are close to accurate and don't seeing the Saints or any club matching that. Would $600,000 x 4 years get it done? Seems reasonable given we paid Chris Mayne $500,000 X 4 years nearly 5 years ago. In the absence of other suitors, it may be within the ball park if St Kilda offer nothing.

So Billings would be middle ranged salary free agent unlike Kelly from GWS who'd need to get $1,000,000+ over 8 years. Out Cox and in Billings is essentially an offset and an upgrade on talent.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:22 pm

Billings' statistics are appalling for a player on that sort of money. He'll turn 27 next year and has never done anything of note. There is no merit at all in recruiting him, unless it's as back up, fighting for a place. You can't tie yourself to a player like that for 4 seasons. You can't even be confident he'll still be playing in 4 seasons.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:33 pm

Honestly I think I said this before but we should just build our own team... save our $$$ for retaining our own and recruit better.

I mean the thing is what is our goal now, sustained success right? Before it was more about pinching a flag....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16   

Jump to: