Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Saints. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Rantall, Macrae and Henry are not yet physically strong enough to compete confidently at the AFL level. They need to play consistently good footy in the ressies and use the forthcoming pre-season to add muscle and aerobic strength, so they can have a great impact in the seniors next year.

I agree with that. None of the three did enough to justify selection in the senior team. Rantall is the worrying one now at the crossroads of his football career (the other two are fine). Ginnavin has now overtaken Rantall as a better player. Being able to run one length of the ground to the other doesn't make you an AFL player. At some point in time you have to be able to compete and earn the football.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:59 pm

Posters complain about our selections on a weekly basis but make no doubt, the most perplexing selection decision of the entire season was selecting Henry in round one. How can any 18 year old be expected to make an impact on debut after not having played a competitive game for the previous 12 months. It’s not like we had twenty injuries coming into round one. Bizarre and it smacked of the club needing to show supporters how much they rate this kid.

Rantall is an interesting one. He was easily the best player in the worst team in the U18s ( Rebels ) Sometimes you tend to stand out for the wrong reasons under those conditions. I’m not putting a line through him just yet but he strikes me as the most vanilla of all our young on ball brigade. Why he was selected before Bianco still remains another mystery to me.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:10 pm

All fair comments. If my memory serves me correct I think Bianco got injured when he was on the verge of selection, so Rantall moved ahead of him. Rantall could still end up a good player, but when you see a player like Ginnavin who's a year younger and recruited onto the rookie list, playing better football than Rantall, it's a worry. There's nothing worrying about Henry and McCrae. Both are developing very nicely in the VFL and are going to end up very good players for us.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:16 pm

^ ^ ^
Cheers. I should have clarified my comments. I meant selected IN DRAFT ORDER ( Bianco vs Rantall ) not chronologically.
Rantalls selection reminded me a bit of Applebys selection. He was another Rebel ( and there aren’t many ) who was drafted on the back of being in the top couple players in their squad. We all know how that finished up, so hopefully Rantall can have a better career than Appleby. Bianco was the complete opposite coming from the Chargers. He more than held his own amongst Rowell, Anderson and Phillips and MacRae as bottom agers.
Bianco was the classic example of being amongst the best in the best team in the U18 comp.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:51 pm

What is Flynn doing now?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:07 pm

Just read the VFL report, and note that both Sier and Lynch were noted for their excellent performances. I would love to see both given the chance to play, but not sure who makes way.
McCreery out and JDG in is a given.
Not sure how Lynch comes in: could we play him with Grundy in the same team??
Then i guess Cox would have to go.
Can Sier play with Adams, so that JDG can spend alot of time up forward? But who makes way for Sier??

this week we actually seem to have quite a few possiblities. Maybe Sier needs another good performance in the VFL before he gets the callup. But Lynch...after a great AFL performance, followed up with a great VFL performance... It makes for an interesting selection night.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:36 am

Skids wrote:
ronrat wrote:
On the weeekends form Saints would be favs but you never give up hope, especially against St Vomit.

Pies favourites @ $1.75, Stk $2.10.

JDG will be a valuable in but losing McCreery hurts.

Pies favourite? Who the hell frames these markets? Surely we should be the underdogs.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:40 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
While I would drop Cox, it seems that Harvey wants to stick with him for a while yet. I reckon it makes our team too slow and top heavy, but then again wtfwik?

For those critical of Madgen, I expect him to retain the CHB spot for the remainder of the year. He'll never be a great player, but he is quite a good mark, reasonably mobile and gives his all. Furthermore, we don't have a better key defender in the ressies to take his spot.

I would drop C. Brown, but I don't expect that to occur.

Out: McCreery

In: De Goey

Pies by 5 points.

Magden reminds me a bit of Mickey Gayfer, same dour type, remember "theres nobody safer, than mickey gayfer ", He used to cop lots of flak too, called a battler, but you do need a workhorse battler in teams, the unsung heroes, Noble is a bit like that, always gives 100%. Surprised

Ridiculous comparing Madgen to Noble. One knows how to play AFL footy. Do people read the stats after the game to decide how so and so played? Because if you do you get a totally false picture of who can play and who can't. For instance read the stats for Poulter and Bianco. Nothing shows out in the stats. However both know how to play.
n

I was NOT comparing either of them to each other, of course they are totally different types of players,what im saying is, both Magden and Noble cop a lot of flak, for different reasons. Magden does have his fans here, and detrators, as did Gayfer years ago. Noble is a goer, tries very hard, but again, does cop a lot of shit by some fans. Saying Magden does not know how to play AFL footy is pretty harsh, if he was a poor as you say, hed never get a game, im not a great fan of his, but thats a bit roiugh, i reckon.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:54 am

Nothing yet on tickets.

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:08 am

Alex wrote:
In: De Goey Out: McCreery - De Goey to play in the middle
In: Keane Out: Madgen - We aren't gonna make the finals, lets see what Keane can do.
In: Kelly Out: Cox - We needed another marking option in our forward 50, but Cox wasn't the answer. Our forward line is too slow if both he and Cameron are in there so in comes Will Kelly.
In: Wilson Out: Mayne - Controversial. Some like Mayne, others, like me, think his kicking absolutely ruins our ball movement. I understand his role is to get it to our damaging Half-Backs, but does he really need to take 10 seconds, then chip it to them at the boundary line, then go backwards only to lose the ball or kick it to a 50/50? For me, Wilson or even Ruscoe comes in, again, not making finals, so play the kids instead of the mediocre role players. Its not like we have no experience, Maynard, Roughead, Crisp, WHE, Grundy, Adams, De Goey, Elliott, Sidey, Pendles, and Thomas all have played 100+ games, +Noble, Quaynor, Daicos, and Mihocek all know what they are doing and have played in multiple finals. Thats 15/22 players that I have just named, and only Keane, Bianco, Kelly, Wilson, and Poulter have played less than 10 games.

Saints are in form, should win in a close one, but we will show promise on what may lie ahead.

If you can find me some vision of Wilson having an effective disposal I will at least pause before declaring he shouldnt be picked. Quite a few other young rookies I would like to see play in his place.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 am

RudeBoy wrote:
While I would drop Cox, it seems that Harvey wants to stick with him for a while yet. I reckon it makes our team too slow and top heavy, but then again wtfwik?

For those critical of Madgen, I expect him to retain the CHB spot for the remainder of the year. He'll never be a great player, but he is quite a good mark, reasonably mobile and gives his all. Furthermore, we don't have a better key defender in the ressies to take his spot.

Pies by 5 points.

We have two key defenders better than Madgen - Keane and Tohill. Both can hit a target on the chest from 50m away. Tohill did a kick on the pocket from one side of the ground to a teammate on the opposite flank of the ground which hit him on the chest with the guy's opponent a meter away. The two Irish men should be giving kicking lessons to the rest of the team. I wouldn't hold either of them back from being picked in the senior team. In fact I'll go further and say if Harvey wants to be a senior AFL coach it's on his head if he continues to pick underperformers in players like Madgen.

Controversial on this forum, but I would continue to pick Madge over the two Irish boys. He'll never be a Copeland winner, but I think he has earnt a bit of trust this season. Limited exposure for Keane, but looked a bit lost (and likely even more so with Moore now out) and Tohill (I dont think...) hasnt been able to crack a senior game in a couple years. I think him and Keane are part of our overall "list clogging" demographic.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 am

RudeBoy wrote:

Pies by 5 points.

We have two key defenders better than Madgen - Keane and Tohill. Both can hit a target on the chest from 50m away. Tohill did a kick on the pocket from one side of the ground to a teammate on the opposite flank of the ground which hit him on the chest with the guy's opponent a meter away. The two Irish men should be giving kicking lessons to the rest of the team. I wouldn't hold either of them back from being picked in the senior team. In fact I'll go further and say if Harvey wants to be a senior AFL coach it's on his head if he continues to pick underperformers in players like Madgen.

Controversial on this forum, but I would continue to pick Madge over the two Irish boys. He'll never be a Copeland winner, but I think he has earnt a bit of trust this season. Limited exposure for Keane, but looked a bit lost (and likely even more so with Moore now out) and Tohill (I dont think...) hasnt been able to crack a senior game in a couple years. I think him and Keane are part of our overall "list clogging" demographic.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 am

Magpiefan3 wrote:
Nothing yet on tickets.

I assume it will be like last week and info will come out Wednesday after crowd limits confirmed.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:26 am

Have to agree to disagree then. Jimmy Stynes was regarded as a list clogger at Melbourne for 3-4 years. Look around the other AFL clubs. These Irishmen are beautiful kicks of a football. They could teach our players how to kick. All they deserve is a chance to play AFL footy because it must be eating away at them having to trot around in the VFL. We recruit them then don’t play them. Meanwhile we spend thousands of dollars sending recruiters to the US to assess gridiron players, basketballers and soccer players hoping we can turn one into an AFL footballer.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:27 am

Piesnchess wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Pies by 5 points.

Magden reminds me a bit of Mickey Gayfer, same dour type, remember "theres nobody safer, than mickey gayfer ", He used to cop lots of flak too, called a battler, but you do need a workhorse battler in teams, the unsung heroes, Noble is a bit like that, always gives 100%. Surprised

Nothing like Gayfer all. he was dependable, Madgen is not. His mistakes cost goals.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: