Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's wrong with the VPT?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's wrong with the VPT?
Too much politics
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Too many Right Wingers
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Too many Left Wingers
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
It's not fun anymore
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Too much fighting, people attacking each other
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
StuiMagpie. That guy sucks
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
The Mods. They suck
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Nothing's wrong, it's fine the way it is
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always been 2 topics of conversation guaranteed to get you into a fight in a pub. Politics and Religion.

Religion has waned, politics hasn't.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:24 pm

The problem is we cant fight about football because we all support the same team.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:51 pm

I don't know, there is plenty of fighting over football with the optimists who think losing every week is acceptable and the realists who could see that the coach sucked years ago and it's taken the club way too long to sack him.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:41 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Question Maybe create a thread tag called something like 'PFFFT' (Politics-free Thread) would work. Then, casual visitors would know which threads to avoid and you get the best of all worlds. I think phpBB has a tagging option somewhere back there.

Nope the guys here could turn a dick pic into a political statement, there’s not a discussion on earth thus forum doesn’t make political! I’m jezza is sick of me checking if I’m left or right, but politics doesn’t bother me as much as being bitchy for the sake of it, and name calling, it’s just so not necessary

Assholes!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:17 pm

Some posters need a thicker skin to absorb opinions that they don’t like or support. Like OP said, everyone has an opinion but some opinions are more correct than others in my opinion😄 I’m guilty of taking the piss sometimes but geez it’s good to have a laugh, especially when our footy results are crap. We can’t have this as a humour free zone. But the term “to each their own” which I have posted thousands of times, should be the norm rather than attempting to change opinions that are set in concrete. Again I admit to doing the exact opposite on numerous occasions but I’m willing to change my ways.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 am

It’s never been perfect, but I can’t point to any particular point in time when the VPT was clearly better than it is now. Yes, there are posters I miss and others who I wish would post more often, but it’s a natural facet of bulletin boards that people come and go, and I feel like we’ve had a number of quality posters become regulars in here over the last year or so. So I’m not sure I can agree with the premise of this thread that there’s something fundamentally "wrong" with the subforum.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:08 pm

The place has deteriorated. Can’t say I have any regrets of reducing my posting here.

A lot of robust debate has morphed into nasty insults and fights. I’m not surprised many good posters have left over the years.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:42 pm

David wrote:
It’s never been perfect, but I can’t point to any particular point in time when the VPT was clearly better than it is now. Yes, there are posters I miss and others who I wish would post more often, but it’s a natural facet of bulletin boards that people come and go, and I feel like we’ve had a number of quality posters become regulars in here over the last year or so. So I’m not sure I can agree with the premise of this thread that there’s something fundamentally "wrong" with the subforum.

people have the option to say there's nothing wrong with it, Only 2 people so far have said that.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:37 pm

Jezza wrote:
The place has deteriorated. Can’t say I have any regrets of reducing my posting here.

A lot of robust debate has morphed into nasty insults and fights. I’m not surprised many good posters have left over the years.

yep spot on

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:33 pm

It probably needs some new blood to express some different thoughts and opinions..Unfortunately Nicks has become a bit of a closed shop with very few new posters joining the site.Why is that,I wonder?Aren’t the public allowed to join this forum,or is it by invitation only?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

people have the option to say there's nothing wrong with it, Only 2 people so far have said that.

It’s all about how the question is framed. Even though I chose that option, I could easily suggest areas in which this place is less than optimal and pick one if offered a list. If you ask people whether they generally enjoy the VPT and find it a worthwhile place to hang out, as opposed to currently feeling discontented with it (as I’m guessing you may be), you might get a very different breakdown of responses. It’s little more than a question of whether your glass is half empty or half full.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:56 pm

fair points but I won't be lectured by the poll butcherer on how to construct one.

I think I put all the background context in the OP.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:27 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

It’s all about how the question is framed. Even though I chose that option, I could easily suggest areas in which this place is less than optimal and pick one if offered a list. If you ask people whether they generally enjoy the VPT and find it a worthwhile place to hang out, as opposed to currently feeling discontented with it (as I’m guessing you may be), you might get a very different breakdown of responses. It’s little more than a question of whether your glass is half empty or half full.

i used to really enjoy it, even when i was getting trolled relentlessly, and nothing was done about it, actually it was - i got told off for retaliating!!!!

go look at the happy thread, people used to say go you well done, more than just 1 or 2 people, now they dont. i dont post much here now at all, i used to share a lot, i no longer do. where are all the happy birthday posts? i look at the covid thread and literally look for Pies4shaws comments, i am so over the idiotic Scotty from marketing, the dan comments, its worse than fricken Karen! used to be we could disagree with each other without name calling, now its getting quite nasty at times.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:41 pm

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Question Maybe create a thread tag called something like 'PFFFT' (Politics-free Thread) would work. Then, casual visitors would know which threads to avoid and you get the best of all worlds. I think phpBB has a tagging option somewhere back there.

Nope the guys here could turn a dick pic into a political statement, there’s not a discussion on earth thus forum doesn’t make political! I’m jezza is sick of me checking if I’m left or right, but politics doesn’t bother me as much as being bitchy for the sake of it, and name calling, it’s just so not necessary

Assholes!

You could do this really strictly, though. Any mention of politics gets deleted in those threads. Would that be roughly feasible David/P4S?

Then, people can blame themselves for getting involved if they wade into politics. Politics is ugly by definition and I don't think you can control it without turning it into the Oxford School of Whatever debate forum.

You might think name calling is a major problem, while others might think implied dehumanisation is a far bigger problem (e.g., an entire thread devoted to Muslim ills sitting at the top of the forum for what seemed like years), so you will never draw a line of acceptability for politics threads apart from the most egregious cases. The value systems and sensitivities of posters, often based on personal idiosyncrasies and unique histories, differ too much.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:14 am

Attack the behaviour not the person, play the ball not the man, simple really, just be nice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: