Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies whack Weagles . All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

jatsad wrote:
No way. Caretaker coaches have a long history of sparking a quick rise and then failing from then on. He's been there 10 years, time to go.

Spot on! Shaw is the best example. Perhaps the AFL is over coached? If we let them play on instinct more often and recruit for kids that support that maybe the AFL will improve out of sight?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:36 pm

FWIW I have for years thought that at AFL level, you should be fully motivated to always get the very best out of yourself. Only game strategies, plans and tactics should be orchestrated by the senior and assistant coaches. You are talking about elite class footballers who are professionals.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:42 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

There are some of us on here who just get worn down of every thread being infected by another reason to find fault with Buckley. Sadly, I get that but let’s at least make them valid reasons, not rubbish like Bucks can’t coach because he didn’t play a first year player in a specific position ( particularly when he played both ends as a junior )

Very well said Pies2016. Thanks for pointing out the lack of logic in this and some other posts seemingly intent in criticizing Bucks at every (remotely) conceivable opportunity. Rolling Eyes
Just don't see the point of it myself when all the supposed negative impacts of the Bucks/Eddie era have been thoroughly examined already. Ho hum.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Lazza wrote:
FWIW I have for years thought that at AFL level, you should be fully motivated to always get the very best out of yourself. Only game strategies, plans and tactics should be orchestrated by the senior and assistant coaches. You are talking about elite class footballers who are professionals.

Basically that's correct. The senior coach can hone in an individual player's skill set by having him train a particular way. For example the forwards can practice their goal kicking skills by repetitively taking shots at goals. However if a player arrives at an AFL club with defective kicking skills there's nothing the AFL coach can do about it. Those skills are set at junior football level. It's not the job of the AFL coaches to teach players how to play and where to play on a football field. The teaching aspect is more to do with the running patterns, team strategies, tactics, opposition analysis and the game plan.

Last edited by MatthewBoydFanClub on Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:43 pm

I have a mate who coached under 9 and 10 age group and had an emphatic approach to coaching kids in footy skills -marking/kicking/handball and very strict on manning up
His approach resulted in 9 premierships over 2 decades with various kids and had a 5 peat in that 9

He gets frustrated with AFL players into system with lack of what he says must be learned young

Oh and he coached Lynden Dunn

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:06 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^ The new coach, whoever that might be, will be the one to chose his assistants. Trying to force Harvey, or anyone else, onto them would be a reason not to accept the senior role

It would be absolutely awful to push Harvey out of the club. If our next coach does that he won’t last very long.

Let’s never make any changes. We should just retain the same people for ever. That always works.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:34 pm

schuey07 wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^ The new coach, whoever that might be, will be the one to chose his assistants. Trying to force Harvey, or anyone else, onto them would be a reason not to accept the senior role

It would be absolutely awful to push Harvey out of the club. If our next coach does that he won’t last very long.

Let’s never make any changes. We should just retain the same people for ever. That always works.

That's not what I said. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water. You need to maintain a certain continuity at the club with the changes you make. New personnel make for new ideas but not at the expense of shelving the ideas that have been working at the club and clearly Robert Harvey has ideas that are bearing fruit with the current playing personnel that we have.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:58 pm

^ Did Buckley retain Malthouse's assistants when he took over?

It's silly to say a new coach has to come in and not be able to chose his assistants... happens all the time in sport, and business

If they want Harvey to stay on, and Harvey wants to stay on, great. But it can't be a pre-requisite

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:49 pm

Can I get real about Harvey for a minute?

Great bloke, player etc blah blah

He’s been at the club 9 years. He’s 4-2 (Buckley was 9-4 this season) including embarrassing losses to Freo, Saints and Blues. We’ve beaten a struggling Tigers and Weagles, and even then probably really played 2-4 good quarters total, plus 1 against Port.

Yes it’s a relief to see us playing freewheeling, attacking footy but is this really the resume of a future senior coach (can’t even decide if he wants the job)?? And is this brand of dirty going to work against good teams and/or in finals? Or even senior assistant coach? Have we learned nothing from watching Teague and Shaw implode?

/rant over

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:52 pm

^ Banger is no chance.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:18 pm

I wouldn’t think so and either way we won’t have any say in it. I just don’t get what it is about his last 9 years that makes some people think this could be the guy to take us to our next flag
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:31 pm

^ You only have 1 yellow card, obviously not trying hard enough Very Happy

For example the forwards can practice their goal kicking skills by repetitively taking shots at goals. However if a player arrives at an AFL club with defective kicking skills there's nothing the AFL coach can do about it

This seems rather contradictory to me... also the post you were responding to was about player motivation, parroting the Buckley mantra that’s it’s not [the senior coaches] job to motivate players. Which is highly debatable IMO.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:37 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^ You only have 1 yellow card, obviously not trying hard enough Very Happy

For example the forwards can practice their goal kicking skills by repetitively taking shots at goals. However if a player arrives at an AFL club with defective kicking skills there's nothing the AFL coach can do about it

This seems rather contradictory to me... also the post you were responding to was about player motivation, parroting the Buckley mantra that’s it’s not [the senior coaches] job to motivate players. Which is highly debatable IMO.

Oh look, two warnings.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:52 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

Yeah totally agree with you Roc - personally when he said that my jaw hit the ground...

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:58 am

Saturday was a brilliant display by the side tho a little to late for finals assault

The players IMO are enjoying a different approach to the game style

Is it so much that they would try to play Banger into the job????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: