Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

12 months ago today.............

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:57 am
Post subject: 12 months ago today.............Reply with quote

I meant to put this up yesterday, so I'll start it off as yesterday, the first day of spring 2021.

As I keep a bit of a daily journal, I thought I'd take a look back. It's been the most messed up 12 months of most people lives, but it is interesting to look back.

NB, if this thread hangs around, it's not supposed to be Covid related. Some of the stuff will be, but the idea is to be able to reflect.

So, 12 months ago today, the first day of Spring in Melbourne was a bleak 15 degrees. We were closing in on the end of an extended period of Covid lockdown, daily cases finally below 100.

I was entering the 6th month of working from home in a job I wasn't enjoying but at least it paid. I was almost recovered from abdominal hernia surgery and just started a 28 day weightloss program, starting off at 105.3kg

Fast forward to 2021, first day of spring is a balmy mid 20's. We're in another extended lockdown with no immediate end in sight but at least there's hope that we won't be doing this in another 12 months if vaccinations do their thing.

Still working from home, different employer and this time it's a job I like, got into the habit of using the time I once used to use to commute to instead exercise. Weight has been staying at 90-92kg

In football terms, 12 months ago today we were about to play finals after being in a hub in Qld for months.
Eddie was President, Bucks was coach, people were positive about the future

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

12 months ago, we all thought 2021 was going to be a better year.

Now, I'm not even sure 2022 will be any better.

Maybe this is the ELE we needed to reset the Earth.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 am

Re the reset, i thought so to Whatsinaname, but people are not getting the message, not all people but far too many. Im sadly shocked by how many people i know that olny care about themselves right now, but then pleasantly surprised by others.

12 months? my kids have lost both grandfathers, i lost a precious 7 year old angel who meant so much to me, i didnt get enough time with any of them. walks have gone from friendly to angry cylists and bitching about getting a fricken tiny little prick of a needle. on the bright side I can use my hand again, having to wear a mask the enitire time in hospital (just day surgery) gave me even great empathy for our front line workers. hopefully by the end of this lockdown ill have full use. looking for the bright side!

dont get me started on footy, but since you posted this today and not before 11am yesterday, thats the one thing im feeling brighter about!

my eldest bought a house and semi moved out, the change in her attitude is night and day, she is so much more appreciative. junior is 6 weeks/2marks short of her masters, then finally no more bloody school! ive cleaned out every cupboard in the house, and even dragged the sewing machine out to fix the pile thats been waiting a while! work is same old same old, weight, sigh, the roller coaster continues, however this beautiful weather helps a lot there, about to go walk with a like thinking friend, 5klms to lunch, and 5klm back!

i still have hope next year will be better! especially on the footy front, and i got to say, footy really really helps me cope!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:12 pm

I had a lot of hope for 2021 too; even in the midst of lockdown 2.0, there was a sense (perhaps overly optimistic in hindsight) that this would be over soon and that large gatherings, film festivals and even international travel by the end of the year might be possible. I could have exactly the same feeling about 2022 now – and I don't think it would be unreasonable; it's not like a once-bitten-twice-shy situation, as we have vaccines now – so why don't I?

My theory is that it shows that there's a certain amount we can take of something before exhaustion and resignation set in. Like, maybe purgatory is okay at first because you might be able to get to heaven at the end of it, but as it drags on and on … I know it's probably ridiculous to describe our situation like that when you compare our "plight" with that of, say, people in refugee camps and detention centres for years on end, for whom a "lockdown" of sorts is indefinite and for whom there may be no light at the end of the tunnel at all, but I think it's the draining of that hope that such situations share in common.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:24 pm

One year ago I was struggling to find any motivation to complete my uni studies due to the lockdown and having had no footy season and just being isolated and alone.

12 months on and now it's disappointment the footy season having a premature end, but at least had some enjoyment from footy. Finally employed and working, although only on a contract atm and still not finished my uni degree, but getting closer!!!

Weight is worse though for me, but hasn't got out of control yet, hopefully the return of better weather and then next month D/S will allow me to get back to regular exercise. At least in lockdown and no work I could walk whenever I wanted and a few more areas to walk after dark in Melbourne than the country!

Two things still the same are still living alone and still living in hope that the government will ease restrictions in regional Victoria in time for cricket season to start on time.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:50 pm

David wrote:
I had a lot of hope for 2021 too; even in the midst of lockdown 2.0, there was a sense (perhaps overly optimistic in hindsight) that this would be over soon and that large gatherings, film festivals and even international travel by the end of the year might be possible. I could have exactly the same feeling about 2022 now – and I don't think it would be unreasonable; it's not like a once-bitten-twice-shy situation, as we have vaccines now – so why don't I?

My theory is that it shows that there's a certain amount we can take of something before exhaustion and resignation set in. Like, maybe purgatory is okay at first because you might be able to get to heaven at the end of it, but as it drags on and on … I know it's probably ridiculous to describe our situation like that when you compare our "plight" with that of, say, people in refugee camps and detention centres for years on end, for whom a "lockdown" of sorts is indefinite and for whom there may be no light at the end of the tunnel at all, but I think it's the draining of that hope that such situations share in common.

I was optimistic last year, even during the peak of the second wave lockdown. A mixture of the situation still being a novelty and a vaccine coming soon kept the spirits up.

This year, I'm just angry and defeated. We have vaccines in arms, and yet somehow the situation feels 100x worse than last year. I didn't think we'd be in lockdown as often as we have been and the future appears bleak even if we do re-open.

Victoria is an example of history repeating itself. Big sacrifices have been made and it feels like we've made no progress in the last 12 months in spite of everything we've done.

Victoria's experience of the pandemic is vastly different to the rest of the country. Unless you've lived through the whole thing, people outside Victoria don't understand how dire the situation has been since March last year.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 pm

^ Victoria's experience is the innocent being punished for the actions of a few. Those doing the right thing are being imprisoned while those who don't care still go about doing what they want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: