Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

9/11 20 years on

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:06 pm
Post subject: 9/11 20 years onReply with quote

Damn, it's 20 years (almost) since September 11, the day the Twin Towers went down and the world changed.

I remember I got up that morning, normal routine, got a couple of recalcitrant kids out of bed, showered and came to the loungeroom for breakfast. I turned on the TV so they could watch cartoons with breakfast and OMFG, what am I watching?

It took me a minute or 2 to realise, this was real. Then a plane flew into the second tower, live on TV. I'm stunned. Watched it for a few more minutes then both kids started on me, Dad, get rid of this crap put the cartoons on, so I did.

Listening to radio on the train on the way to work, it dawned on me what had happened and that I was going in to work in the Rialto, tallest building (then) in Melbourne. That was a tad sphincter tightening, but I still went in.

That event changed the world in many ways, not many of them good.

What's your memories of the day, observations, thoughts 20 years on?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only 7 years old, and remember being annoyed that my favourite cartoons on Channel 10 (Cheez TV) weren't on in the morning until my parents explained what had happened.

Very strange walking into school, and seeing parents and teachers talk about the seriousness of the situation among themselves. You could sense it was a life changing event and would have serious ramifications for the future ahead.

I even remember some people saying WW3 was about to begin! Shocked

On a symbolic level, I think the attacks marked the end of the carefree and optimistic nature that had defined the 1990s.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 pm

That would be the one Cheez TV on 10.

After my kids cracked it, I put it on Gummy Bears on the Disney Channel on Optus pay TV.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:52 pm
Post subject: Re: 9/11 20 years onReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Damn, it's 20 years (almost) since September 11, the day the Twin Towers went down and the world changed.

I remember I got up that morning, normal routine, got a couple of recalcitrant kids out of bed, showered and came to the loungeroom for breakfast. I turned on the TV so they could watch cartoons with breakfast and OMFG, what am I watching?

It took me a minute or 2 to realise, this was real. Then a plane flew into the second tower, live on TV. I'm stunned. Watched it for a few more minutes then both kids started on me, Dad, get rid of this crap put the cartoons on, so I did.

Listening to radio on the train on the way to work, it dawned on me what had happened and that I was going in to work in the Rialto, tallest building (then) in Melbourne. That was a tad sphincter tightening, but I still went in.

That event changed the world in many ways, not many of them good.

What's your memories of the day, observations, thoughts 20 years on?

You saw the replay. The planes crashed into the Towers at like 11pm in Australia. The towers had collapsed by the time we were awake.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:04 pm

It was likely a replay, but it was WTF real at the time
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm

I watched it all live, I remember watching sports tonight then the breaking news happened and 10 switched to the American feed and then the second plane hit and wow. Found it hard to sleep that night.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:58 pm

Woke up to constant replays, we were in a hotel in surfers paradise, the kids were 5 and 7, it was also the week Ansett went bust, I will never ever forget the flight home. I love to fly, I love airports cos im usually going somewhere, not that week. The place was empty except for armed military personnel. First time we had to take our shoes off, and for some reason they targeted junior to check, it was $Ł$%^%%$ awful. When the plane landed in Melbourne I cried, and I noticed just about all the women and a fair few men did too, and we clapped the pilot and crew.

If you ever get a chance to go to ground zero, go. We went on the 4th of July, the memorial is beautiful and beautifully looked after, inside its quiet and respectful. There are parts you can’t use your camera in, you here the calls of people asking for help, and the voices of survivors talking about that day. Its really well done, it doesn’t push your emotions, but you feel it anyway. It’s a feeling you will always remember, even more so than pearl harbour.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:14 pm

On the bombing of Pearl Habour, it may have been more historically significant in that it dragged the USA into WWII but for sheer firepower and damage, the bombing of Darwin was far worse.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:11 am

stui magpie wrote:
It was likely a replay, but it was WTF real at the time

Yes it was a replay. I remember that my wife and I were watching West Wing. The episode ended, more or less - but then the screen cut to this stuff about the Twin Towers and we actually thought that it was the continuation of our episode - until the penny dropped that Jed Bartlett wasn't the President anymore, that the coverage had been going on too long and that these weren't special effects.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:20 am

I was oblivious to the whole thing until around Midday. Walked into Myer at Eastland looking at the TV's. See George Dubya on every screen, every channel. Had to ask a bloke wtf had happened. Felt surreal. Then the vision of the people jumping Crying or Very sad
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:01 pm

I was working in Victoria Barracks as the National Fleet Manager for Radar and Guided Weapons. My boss called all the staff around and discussed the security upgrades and more so in Canberra because of the Embassies. We became busy as hell and the Director used it as an excuse to buy big screen TVs including one for his office. All of a sudden Federal Coppers turned up with guns to patrol the grounds. Why they couldn't have used the 100s of soldiers there I don't know. When the Prime Minister announced we would join with USA the usual suspects turned up to protest.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
I was oblivious to the whole thing until around Midday. Walked into Myer at Eastland looking at the TV's. See George Dubya on every screen, every channel. Had to ask a bloke wtf had happened. Felt surreal. Then the vision of the people jumping Crying or Very sad

Yeah, that was hard to watch, I couldn't have jumped.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:

Yeah, that was hard to watch, I couldn't have jumped.

I read about these jumpers and they didnt make the choice to jump. They were forced out once the flames got to the windows they were hanging out of. That and the choking smoke meant it wasn't a choice for these poor people. Crying or Very sad
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:12 pm

It's still a choice, albeit a shitty one.

Stay and you'll most likely die, jump and you'll almost definitely die.

djh 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:11 pm

Oops not sure what happened before, meant to reply to Think Positive's post.

I totally agree re the memorial, very well worth visiting, although we did not go into the museum. The other one worth seeing is at the Pentagon, the memorial area is the only part that regular people can enter.

My husband and I are night owls, so we watched an awful lot of it live. The next morning, I took my then Grade 1 son to school, listening to the all of the boy's excitement, they thought it was so cool to watch the planes crashing into buildings at that age.

A terrible day indeed, that has affected travel and the world forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: