Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Carringbush Rumour File (JUST the rumour pls)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t been on this thread for a while but some lovely rumours awaited me.
If only the historical hit rate on the rumours was higher I’d be more excited.
Would love to get Rowell or Cadman, but a KPF would really float my boat.
Alas, I suspect it’s all a siren song luring me to the rocks.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:47 pm

Great read. This is what make Nick's great.
Thanks to Qldmagpie67 and Pies2016 for providing their intel.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 am

warburton lad wrote:
It pains me to think that at the end of 2021 season, Adelaide were hawking Taylor Walker around for bugger all and they had no takers....

Actually Lad, as I posted previously Adelaide had Tex, Crouch, and their 1st and 9th picks on the table for Grundy and our 14th…according to Eddie our starting price for negotiations was 10 first round picks….I guess the rest is history.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:56 am

^Zed, has that been quoted / verified anywhere?
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:54 am

In 2021, the "Do Better" report was released, McGuire had been forced(?) to leave early and the Lumumba saga was ongoing.
Do you really think that management would've let the football department recruit a guy who just got 6 weeks for racial abuse?
Imagine the smears, recriminations and media hysterics.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:20 pm

^without wanting to derail the thread, I dug up some additional info from the period. If this opens a pandoras box of replies, I'll move it to its own thread.

Adelaide did have National Draft picks 2 and 11 in the 2020 draft.
They secured ~
National Draft pick 2 Riley Thilthorpe
National Draft pick 11 Luke Pedlar

Our 14th likely ended up being our pick 17 which was Oliver Henry.

Given the draft depth that year https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2020 , I hope that offer wasn't on the table.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:59 am

LaurieHolden wrote:
^Zed, has that been quoted / verified anywhere?

Probably one for the rumours thread but I’m not one to kiss and tell (figure of speech really as I’ve frequently been known to over share and divulge such exploits…but that’s another story for another time)…yes was verified over several bottles of red one evening by a club insider sadly not with us anymore if that’s anything to go by…and yes I can sense some of you raising eyebrows and rolling your eyes. I brought up details of the potential trade that never happened here a few years ago following the aftermath of one of our worst trading debacles in decades when the club jettisoned several players (Treloar, Stevo, Phillips, Atu) for practically nothing to balance the books after paying way overs for Grundy who at the time had just been worked out by the opposition and was routinely more of a liability than benefit. It’s well known that Eddie had stepped in and vetoed any plans to in his words “trade away a one of a kind” and “the player of his generation for anything less than 10 first round picks”…who knows what could have been. As it turned out extremely grateful for the premiership, but we certainly wouldn’t be in the predicament we are in now with no talented key talls on our list, no top ten draft picks, and no prospect of landing any big fish as they’ve already been locked away on lengthy contracts.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 pm

Zed, it’s well known now that Eddie stepped in when he was updated by our football department, we were unlikely to be in a cap position to retain Grundy.
The coach and football department wanted to prioritise other players and get more balance into our cap.
Eddie was annoyed hearing how Collingwood couldn’t manage its cap and would be unable to keep any player if another club come strongly for them.
He decided under no circumstances would he lose Grundy on his watch.
Grundy’s management knowing this did what any smart manager would do with his clients' interests.
I know Adelaide never offered Grundy over $700k they were relying on the go home factor but weren’t prepared to mortgage the house to get him.
I’ve been informed their offer was 4 years at $700 with a extra year at the end on same money if he met games played target.
His manager led the negotiations, bluff or otherwise which then saw Collingwood go all in with 7 years $7 million with no clauses.
The rest is history
There was some reports at the time Buckley Pendles Howe and Adam’s met with Grundy late in negotiations to try to convince him to take a little less because taking that much from the cap would ultimately lead to the team losing other players

If it hadn’t been for Eddie’s ego our cap wouldn’t have been in the mess, we ended up with.
The karma of the situation was it was Grundy’s own greed that cost him his place at Collingwood when Wright made it clear he was way overpaid for the position he played, and the club was happy to pay some of his salary to get him off our books.
The coach (despite what he’s said publicly) wasn’t upset Grundy would be gone he was happy with what Cameron and Cox were producing as a combination costing half what we had to pay Grundy.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:21 am

Thanks qldmagpie67 not sure whether you’re trying to debunk or bolster my share….the intel I had at the material time was beyond credible - from the mouth of a club insider with strong ties to Adelaide and part of our brains trust putting said deal together.

The juxtaposition, if you will, was that both Tex and Sloane were on the nose at the Crows at the time…Tex due to injury, form decline, and the ‘racial slur’ fiasco. Sloane had family issues as his partner was having a baby after a very difficult time and wanted to go home in VIC to be near family. Adelaide were desperate for a Ruck they thought would be the missing piece to achieve glory. Both Tex and Sloane were on very good coin so whoever told you the offer from the Crows to Grundy was for 4 years at 700k was having a lend or they made it up. Maybe you just heard it on the telly (here’s a tip don’t believe everything you see and hear in the media). Adelaide’s offer was considerably more as they knew they would’ve had heaps with Tex and Sloane off the payroll, far more than we could match to satisfy Grundy’s exorbitant price tag…and then some. And yes the go home factor was very much in play with Grundy wanting to go back to Adelaide….but his preference was Port so he could play alongside brother Riley. However Port could not come anywhere close to Adelaide’s offer (probably where you might have heard 4yrs at 700k emanating from) and had an in extremely weak trade hand considering they spent all their bickies picking up Rozee, Butters, and Duursma the year before. Grundy to Port was never going to happen.

It came down to us not being able to cover Tex and Sloane’s wages and not having confidence they would regain appropriate form, and of course our President not wanting to be known as the man who let the ‘Ruckman of the century’ walk out the door on his watch. “No one leaves Collingwood”, remember? Instead we lost several club favourites for NOTHING in return, and then a couple of years later Grundy also for NOTHING!. Clusterf@#k of biblical proportions!

Last edited by Said by Zed on Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:59 am

QM67, were you talking to Cliff from the Coodabeens? That's a wild tale.
Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:40 am

And yet getting rid of treloar phillips Stevo and Atu was one of the best moves the club ever made. Funny how things turn out.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:53 pm

Big T wrote:
And yet getting rid of treloar phillips Stevo and Atu was one of the best moves the club ever made. Funny how things turn out.

That you, Fred?

K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:04 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Zed, it’s well known now that Eddie stepped in when he was updated by our football department, we were unlikely to be in a cap position to retain Grundy.
The coach and football department wanted to prioritise other players and get more balance into our cap.
If it hadn’t been for Eddie’s ego our cap wouldn’t have been in the mess, we ended up with.
The karma of the situation was it was Grundy’s own greed that cost him his place at Collingwood when Wright made it clear he was way overpaid for the position he played, and the club was happy to pay some of his salary to get him off our books.
The coach (despite what he’s said publicly) wasn’t upset Grundy would be gone he was happy with what Cameron and Cox were producing as a combination costing half what we had to pay Grundy.

6 months ago, Buckley himself said the football department had decided to let Grundy go and Eddie interfered. So dunno why some folks here act like it hasn't been confirmed.

Said by Zed wrote:
Thanks qldmagpie67 not sure whether you’re trying to debunk or bolster my share….the intel I had at the material time was beyond credible - from the mouth of a club insider with strong ties to Adelaide and part of our brains trust putting said deal together.

The juxtaposition, if you will, was that both Tex and Sloane were on the nose at the Crows at the time…Tex due to injury, form decline, and the ‘racial slur’ fiasco. Sloane had family issues as his partner was having a baby after a very difficult time and wanted to go home in VIC to be near family. ...

The Walker racial slur 6-match ban was in August 2021. Surely a lot later than the contract/trade stuff, right?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 pm

Zed wasn’t trying to debunk your story mate
I got my version from a internal source at Collingwood yours seems to be from a Crows insider
Every story has 2 sides maybe the truth is in the middle
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:10 am

^Agreed qldmagpie67. The truth can sometimes have many parts and often an amalgamation of many rumours and just as many perspectives. TBH I’m just going with what I was told at the time by a well connected insider in both camps…anyway it’s all just rumours unless we’re actually there or privy to the dealings and conversations ourselves.

^^ Correct K. I referred to that as a juxtaposition to how unsettled Tex was around that period and the inner turmoil he was most likely experiencing…there was a deeper connection with earlier trade speculation and that incident…can’t recall what it was. I guess we may never really know, unfortunately the source of this inside info/rumour passed last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
Page 62 of 65   

Jump to: