Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cricket !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bernie Williams, centre fielder of the New York Yankees dead?

[This message has been edited by London Dave (edited 14 November 2002).]
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:01 am

That's what I was going to post Assassin! Hayden isn't only playing well against the woeful Poms - he has put the score on the board (literally) against classier bowling attacks too, such as the South Africans.

He is a fantastic batsman - great to watch cos he's so powerful and he plays his shots. In fact, the whole Aussie team is great to watch - they play attacking cricket and often score as if it's a one dayer.

I've got my ticket booked to the one dayer on the 15th of December - anyone else going?

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:07 am

Surely we can think of a better chant than ozi ozi ozi oi oi oi.......lol lol

This is a travel tip on barmy army website:

Top Tip Number 2 - Watch the Test Matches
If you have the choice (and can't afford to spend three months going to all the matches!) make sure that you go and watch the test matches as opposed to the One-Dayer's. There are a number of key reasons for saying this,

· Firstly the tests mean everything, nobody remembers (or really cares for that matter) about the results of the one dayers.

· Secondly our support at the test matches is brilliant but this tails off to almost nothing as people return home and those that do attend are unable sit together which results in a really disappointing atmosphere.

· Thirdly the average Aussie gets totally off their faces at the day nighters, fights amongst themselves are commonplace and you'll probably recall golf balls etc. being thrown at the players. When there's only a few of you don't need this kind of aggravation and 6 hours of, "Pommies are W**kers", "Aussie Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi" and "Pommies take it up the arse" gets a little tiresome.

Saying all of the above I'm sure you've all fancied a day nighter at the MCG or SCG, so if do go, try and get to the first game after the test when our support will be as big as it can be.

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:44 am

We had an interesting exchange between CQ and Mrs Tarrant on the relative merits of Michael Slater and Matthew Hayden in the Bored Board. So I dug up some stats for them and share them here.

Tests Inn. N.O. Runs H.S. Ave. 100s 50s Catches
Slats 74 131 7 5312 219 42.83 14 21 33
Haydos 34 58 4 2900 203 53.70 11 10 33

From these figures we can see MH has a significantly better average and a much better conversion rate of 50s to 100s. MH also takes more catches per Test than MS did.

MH averages 85.29 runs per Test.
MS averaged 71.78 runs per Test.

MH scores a century every 3.09 Tests.
MS scored a century every 5.28 Tests.

MH scores a century every 5.27 innings.
MS scored a century every 9.35 1nnings.

Statistics don't always show exactly how good/bad a player is/was but they do make interesting reading.

Donny.

PS. Does anyone know how to type in the figures so they will come up the same way after posting ? As you can see the first lot of stats don't line up with their headings.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:16 am

When a batsman strings together a run of centuries, the pundits are prone to use 'Bradmanesque' in their appraisals.

As Matthew Hayden is attracting this sort of comment, I checked out some more stats and found them most interesting.

Conversion rate: Of the Aussie batsmen who've scored more than 7 tons, Haydos is the ONLY one to have more centuries than fifties - other than the Don, of course.

In the list below, it's also of note that two other present day batsmen, Ricky Ponting and Justin Langer, are in the top 10 of all time.

Don Bradman has 29 100s and 13 50s
Matthew Hayden: 11/10
Arthur Morris: 12/12
Lindsay Hassett: 10/11
Graham Yallop: 8/9
Neil Harvey: 21/24
Ricky Ponting: 13/16
Dean Jones: 11/14
Justin Langer: 12/16
Graeme Wood: 9/13

Donny.

Last edited by Donny on Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:37 pm

Well, JLC, another double ton against the Poms to Martin Love. He's probably put himself as first cab off the rank now if an injury occurs

Did Trescothick really put us in to bat on that road ? Are they complete masochists or just plain stupid ?

Declare on the first day ? I love the way Aussies play their cricket.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:57 am

Funny stuff, Assasin. I do a cricket newsletter. May I use the above ?

Donny.

Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:01 pm

I played cricket at the Gabba last Monday. I played with Craig, Tyrell, Ben and John and I hit the most runs! A total of 41 in like 45 mins! hehehe! It took ages coz the guys kept going out and would take ages to swap over!

I was very proud of myself!

On Tuesday I played 2 games of hockey. First game we had a draw! I scored 3 goals. Those were the only goals scored.
Second game we won by 2 goals. I scored another 3 goals! Those were the only goals we scored.
I was man of the match!
Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan~* *~Jarrod 4 Copeland 2003!~*

"I used to love seeing past players. Seeing them now and saying hello gives you a huge buzz. The passion and tradition around the club is fantastic and I love the way Collingwood supporters go about it- it certainly helps the way I play."- Jarrod Molloy

*~SeCrEt SqUiRrEl & gUaCaMoLeS 4EvA!~*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:09 pm

No m8. Still interested. Patience is just one of my qualities. Lol.

The cricket scene in Australia must be the envy of all the other nations on the planet.

Our national team's success rate is quite outstanding, to say the least and our second team continues to embarrass touring teams. England lost 12 wickets today on a track where Aust. 'A' hit 3/350 in 300 minutes the previous day.

While Love, Clark and Blewett scored easily and Williams and Clark were ripping through down in Hobart, Brett Lee takes 11 wickets to add to his 10 last week, Bichel takes 8 in his game, the Oz skipper reels off a fluent century and Lehmann hits 97.

How did the world's best rated batsman and bowler go ? They were resting to be fresh for the Adelaide Test. Ouch !!

Donny.

Abi 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:47 am

Assassin it's not a case of deprecating another tall poppy, more that I am not prepared to take everything at face value. Hayden is shaping up as a great bat but the reality is that the competition is not great at the moment. I know you can only bat against who is put up, but early in his career when the bowling was hotter he struggled. Similar case with Steve Waugh, his average started climbing as the depth of world fast bowling eroded. Like to see Hayden against the West Indian quartet of the early to mid 80s. My tip is that he would struggle. The fact that our second eleven is superior should highlight this. Most other eras wouldn't allow for our second eleven to dominate in such a manner. Also remember that in Hayden's knock of 197 he was dropped four times, good fielding teams wouldn't allow this to happen.

Cheers mate

Pie fan forever

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:37 am

Some good points, Abi, but when a team dominates, the opposition can fall apart. And remember, when we lose we can look pretty bad too.

'The competition is not that good at the present' is debatable. They still play good cricket against each other, eg. WI v India and Sri L. v RSA on at the moment.

When the Windies dominated, there was daylight in second spot but again, the other teams were still playing good cricket against each other.

Same happens in AFL. One team gets on top and forces mistakes from the other. The Aussie cricket team is doing this.

Good to hear from you, Abi.

Donny.

Abi 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:21 pm

In past decades players weren't lucky enough to play against the likes of Sri Lanka, money for jam if you're a batsman. There are no bowlers currently playing for the WI who would have got a gig in their halcyon days, no batsmen either for that matter. Neither Hoggard nor White would get a game for a Pura Cup side, White of course is a Vic reject. The Pakistan we played against a few weeks back had six of its top players missing. They had no recognised batters at all in their lineup, of course we will kill them. I do concede that we have a psychological advantage over many of the teams and individuals within those at the minute.

Pie fan forever

Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:54 pm

are you saying that the aussie cricket team atm is not better than the other teams at full strength? or simply that we aren't as dominant as the results of the brissy test and paki tour would suggest (which is true I believe).

I think that this current team, and the team of two years ago, does rank up there with the best teams ever, but only just. McGrath is the best fast bowler in the world, warne is (arguably) the best spinner in the world, do these players rank with the lillies and holdings of previous eras? YES! they are damn good. Is a team of tendulkar, Lara, atherton (think of when he wasn't palyeing against australia!) etc good? YES - and they are all McGrath's bunnies. That's a good bowler, that's a great bowler.

I think the difference between some of the all time great WI and Aussie sides and the current aussie side is that batsmen (especially) in those teams were always in form (sign of a great player) where the batsmen in the current aussie team tend to be inconsistent. it doesn't matter atm cause two aussie bats can beat the whole english side, so it doesn't show as much. The bowlers, however, are world class and stand the test of time as GREAT players, imo.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:04 pm

I was at the match down here Australia A vs England and i witnessed Love's 200 innings*s*. I got sunburnt slighty but was good to see the England side down here and hey it didn;t rain once woooohooo*s*
I'll be there for the Australia vs England one dayer in January 11th can't wait.

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
*2003:The injury free season for Molloy!!*
*2002 Joint V.C*

[This message has been edited by molloymagic (edited 17 November 2002).]
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:18 pm

Didn't England win their past few test series?

If they did, then the argument that they are no good is rubbish. They play pathetic because Australia is so good.

Teams don't win 16 test matches in a row without being supreme.

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11   

Jump to: