Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jack Madgen vs Jarrod Brander

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Yeah, I think they'll retain him. Already have had 7 or 8 other list departures and only SPS added via trade.

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/1026004/west-coast-delists-brander

According to the Wiggles' article, Brander "has expressed a desire to explore his options as a delisted free agent.".
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:56 pm

Good luck to him.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:04 pm

Get him. 22 years old. U18 all Australian centre half forward. Do it
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:42 pm

^^ What makes Brander any better a prospect than Kelly, Kreuger, McMahon, Johnson or Begg?

How many developing KPF's do we need?

Does having too many help or hinder their development?
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:45 pm

jackcass wrote:
^^ What makes Brander any better a prospect than Kelly, Kreuger, McMahon, Johnson or Begg?

Can never have too many athletic 195cm players.
He has been in the system 4 years so is ahead of most of the guys above. It's a free hit so why not.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:18 pm

jatsad wrote:
jackcass wrote:

He has been in the system 4 years so is ahead of most of the guys above. It's a free hit so why not.

Not if they can't play AFL and there's plenty who can't even though they have outstanding junior careers. Maybe Brander will make it. I don't know.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:51 pm

The club and fans need to get their heads around low risk and potential high return. The status quo of Madgen or Cox can be maintained all with the inevitability that come October 2022, they'll 95% likely be delisted. Or you can take for FREE (correct for FREE) somebody like Brander whose upside as a 22 year old exceeds that of Madgen and or Cox. If it fails who cares. Lost nothing. This ain't like recruiting Gary Shaw in 1983.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:31 pm

inxs88 wrote:
The club and fans need to get their heads around low risk and potential high return. The status quo of Madgen or Cox can be maintained all with the inevitability that come October 2022, they'll 95% likely be delisted.
Or you can take for FREE (correct for FREE) somebody like Brander whose upside as a 22 year old exceeds that of Madgen and or Cox. If it fails who cares. Lost nothing.

Yes, solid logic - but...
I presume Brander and his manager will put a $$$ price on his head, IF he wants to get to a certain club [Carlton?] in the PSD?
This is where those stink-out tactics come into play, to discourage any team prior with an earlier pick from drafting him, by blowing out their cap?

He might be happy to go to Pauperoos or us, or Whorethron - who knows?

But you wouldn't think he'd get out of bed for anything less than $200K?

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:34 pm

If you keep trading in average players, you end up with an average list.
For every player you bring in at around $250 - 300,000 per year, it simply leaves you further away from securing a player who makes a genuine difference to your win / loss ratio.
Posters want ( ed ) various combinations of Hill, Brander, Naish and all this on top of Lipinski and Krueger. By all means if that’s what supporters want, that’s fine but those same people also need to understand why we then havent secured a match winner or gun free agent over the next three years either. Even the average players still need to be paid. I would rather give some young blokes a chance for 12 months and save some money for 12 months time or more but that’s just me.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
For every player you bring in at around $250 - 300,000 per year, it simply leaves you further away from securing a player who makes a genuine difference to your win / loss ratio.
Posters want ( ed ) various combinations of Hill, Brander, Naish and all this on top of Lipinski and Krueger. By all means if that’s what supporters want, that’s fine but those same people also need to understand why we then havent secured a match winner or gun free agent over the next three years either. Even the average players still need to be paid. I would rather give some young blokes a chance for 12 months and save some money for 12 months time or more but that’s just me.

It's perhaps a genuine scenario of lack of opportunity?
Brander cannot get a game as a forward ahead of Kennedy, Darling, or Allen.
Other than Moore, would any of our talls get a game in that WCE forward line? Nooooo....

And we won't attract any match winners or gun free agents until we start winning again, and that stigma from the Treloar/Stevo disaster of 2020 has been washed away.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:58 pm

I never thought Brander would divide Nicks BB so much.

Interview him at least.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:08 pm

piedys wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Other than Moore, would any of our talls get a game in that WCE forward line? Nooooo....

And we won't attract any match winners or gun free agents until we start winning again, and that stigma from the Treloar/Stevo disaster of 2020 has been washed away.

…… Well we won’t attract any quality either if we don’t have the money to pay for them.
The Eagles delisted a significant investment after a only few years at the club, while we have Ash Johnson who is only 2cm shorter than Brander. Of course Johnson remains a gamble but so is Brander. I’d be happy to look at Johnson for 12 months rather than load up on a second gamble. If we hadnt invested in Krueger, I may feel differently but there’s another gamble yet to play out.
Also, history shows it’s not often an underachieving key forward moves clubs and lifts his game to a whole new level all of a sudden.
If Brander does find a new home, he will certainly be a must watch wherever he lands.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:12 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
…… Well we won’t attract any quality either if we don’t have the money to pay for them. .

Ya reckon? It hasn't stopped us before! Razz

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:23 pm

jatsad wrote:
jackcass wrote:

I don’t really know either way. Haven’t seen anything in the few of his 22 senior games in 4 years I’ve actually watched that makes me go “wow, he could be a player”. Not even sure how many of those 22 senior games he’s played as a forward. On that basis, not sure how simply being at the Weagles for 4 years gives him much of a head start relative to our guys. Especially if you’re looking at Krueger, Kelly, and Johnson (as a mature aged recruit). Didn’t get him games ahead of Allen or Rotham.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:33 pm

piedys wrote:

Really? Allen? Not too much between Cameron and Allen really for mine. Allen’s best is certainly better but can also have a lot of very quiet games.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=19&pid1=6498&fid1=S&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&pid2=6373&fid2=S&type=A

Or Checkers for that matter.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=19&pid1=6498&fid1=S&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&pid2=6553&fid2=S&type=A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: