Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jack Madgen vs Jarrod Brander

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
But I don't think we should have a thread titled Jarrod Brander versus Jack Madgen.

A fair comment. And now that Madgen has signed on, we're now only looking at Brander and should we or should we not go after.

I think we should.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:12 pm

Rick wrote:
So yesterday my boss said that on the radio it was reported Collingwood were set to sign Brander as a delisted free agent. I haven’t seen it been reported anywhere officially.

When is the delisted free agency period?

The next Delisted Free Agency Period is Thursday 11 November – Friday 12 November.

A little over three weeks away. If there's any chance he's coming to Collingwood (or any club really), the press will be reporting on the rumours well before then.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:19 pm

Presti35 wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
When you're in a rebuild please rebuild and clear the dead wood.

To be fair tho, we've cut a lot of dead wood recently.

If you dive deep, not really:

1. Mayne: retired
2. Tohill: retired
3. Greenwood: retired
4. Thomas: retired albeit after not being offered a contract

Only Rantall and Sier sacked with Chugg getting re-drafted. So strictly speaking, we have only "cut" two.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Rick wrote:
So yesterday my boss said that on the radio it was reported Collingwood were set to sign Brander as a delisted free agent. I haven’t seen it been reported anywhere officially.

The next Delisted Free Agency Period is Thursday 11 November – Friday 12 November.

A little over three weeks away. If there's any chance he's coming to Collingwood (or any club really), the press will be reporting on the rumours well before then.

There are now two free agency windows. The first starts Nov 3rd - Nov 9th.
Second period is between 11th Nov - 15th
I have no idea why but there’s updates info regarding delisted free agency on the AFL app.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:30 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Rick wrote:

There are now two free agency windows. The first starts Nov 3rd - Nov 9th.
Second period is between 11th Nov - 15th
I have no idea why but there’s updates info regarding delisted free agency on the AFL app.

Thanks for pointing that out Pies2016

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:35 am

inxs88 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
When you're in a rebuild please rebuild and clear the dead wood.

To be fair tho, we've cut a lot of dead wood recently.

If you dive deep, not really:

1. Mayne: retired
2. Tohill: retired
3. Greenwood: retired
4. Thomas: retired albeit after not being offered a contract

Only Rantall and Sier sacked with Chugg getting re-drafted. So strictly speaking, we have only "cut" two.

Yes, but those guys are still all gone, wether it be our choice or theirs. I, like many, are a bit surprised but Madgens extension, but it's only 12 months. We can still get Brander to the club, but it wont be at the expense of Madgens list spot.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:37 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
You know when you're at the local Trash & Treasure and you're looking through some old bloke's tools while the missus is talking to his wife about pot plants?

And you spot a decent looking hammer for $10 even thought you've already got 3 at home?

I reckon that's Brandner.

You've just given him his new nickname, "Hammer". Although Shane Heal may own the rights.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:49 am

MJ23 wrote:
Im staggered that the Eagles wont offer a contract or that other clubs didnt chase him at trade. It might be they know he will be delisted but why ??

Something seems a little off.

Well thats the thing. I know someone "in the know" about a GWS player that plenty of supporters wanted not long back. He'd tell me that he'd kick 6 or 7 in the VFL and everyone would ask why the hell isnt he in the senior team? But the reality is he doesnt have it in him to chase, tackle, get dirty, or stand up in a contest. That and kicking 6 or so on the Suns and Swans VFL teams for 14 weeks isnt a tough ask. I believe they just tried to trade him to Victoria but had no takers.

Clubs and recruiters know this sort of stuff. But supporters see "6 goals" and question the selectors. Think of Jack Anthony too... gee whizz.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:55 am

Quote:
Collingwood defenders John Noble, Jack Madgen and Tom Wilson have all signed new deals. Noble has signed a two-year deal and Madgen and Wilson will remain at the club for another season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/real-hunger-demons-snare-magpies-staffer-20211019-p5915k.html
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Quote:
Collingwood defenders John Noble, Jack Madgen and Tom Wilson have all signed new deals. Noble has signed a two-year deal and Madgen and Wilson will remain at the club for another season.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/real-hunger-demons-snare-magpies-staffer-20211019-p5915k.html

People may question why he likes of Wilson and Madgen only get a one year contract.

I think that there are players on our list that may need to go at the end of 2022- remembering we need to take three picks to the draft.

I would imagine that the acid is being put on Wilson, Madgen and numerous others out of contract at the end of 2022 to step up or be invited to step out of the club at the end of next year.

We will surely get to see who really has it in them to improve and play at their capacity in 2022.

At the other end of the scale, we have De Goey busting his guts to be his best in a year when he is a free agent... I hope that Grundy and Moore have 'elite' seasons as well.

Floreat Pica folks.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:32 am

inxs88 wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
^ Tarrant left North as a FA. They wanted him to stay.

Again, I was after Brander months ago. Something is not right and I wouldnt be giving a Madgen up for him

Tarrant was traded

Mate he Was included in a trade so Richmond could get avoid diluting the compensation for Mabior Chol. He clearly and very early nominated Richmond as a free agent first.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 am

warburton lad wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Quote:

I think that there are players on our list that may need to go at the end of 2022- remembering we need to take three picks to the draft.

Clubs can take just one player in the draft and fill the other two spots via re-selecting their players or upgrading rookies.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:40 am

Presti35 wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
But I don't think we should have a thread titled Jarrod Brander versus Jack Madgen.

A fair comment. And now that Madgen has signed on, we're now only looking at Brander and should we or should we not go after.

I think we should.

I’m conscious of the fact that Roughead is 30 and might only have a couple of years left. Moore has had injuries and Keane is still very raw. At some point we need to look at strengthening the spine in our backline. It’s unfair on Madgen to play him as a key defender. While Howe and Maynard can play on talls neither is a tall defender. Brander is still only 23. His strengths are he’s very athletic and a good mark for his size. I don’t see Brander as a forward at all. I think the answer, if that’s the way our recruiters want to go, is to develop him as a key defender on the full back line. When you have a defender as good as McGovern someone like Brander is always going to look second rate so I can see why WCE let him go. However at Collingwood it’s possible Brander could blossom as a defender. The only next part of the equation is how much Brander is demanding as a free agent. If he comes at a reasonable price we can afford then it may be worth the risk. Personally I would have much preferred a small forward like Bobby Hill on my shopping list, but you go after these players, you can’t always get them.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 am

Presti35 wrote:
Yes, but those guys are still all gone, wether it be our choice or theirs. I, like many, are a bit surprised but Madgens extension, but it's only 12 months. We can still get Brander to the club, but it wont be at the expense of Madgens list spot.

And the departures this year add to the Stevo, A2B2, Phillips, AT, Reid, Dunn, Varcoe, Beams, Langdon, Broomhead, Wills, Appleby, Scharenberg departures in 2020.

Add Lynch, Mayne, Greenwood, Sier, Rantall, Chugg* and Thomas and that's 20/47 players departed of the 2020/21 list.

That's massive change by any standard and it's ridiculous to think we haven't cut deep enough for the purposes of a rebuild.

By my count 25 of the 38 remaining on the list are also 25 or under and 21 <50 games so it's also a very inexperienced and physically immature squad. Retaining players like Cox and Madgen makes sense.

*Chugg to be re-drafted
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:46 am

^ yep. Exactly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: