Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Retirements [Copeland, Marsh, Paine]

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:36 pm
Post subject: Retirements [Copeland, Marsh, Paine]Reply with quote

James Pattinson retires from international cricket

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/james-pattinson-ashes-test-selection-retirement-playing-future-injury-sheffield-shield/2021-10-20

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/men-s-ashes-2021-22-james-pattinson-retires-from-international-cricket-as-ashes-hopes-slip-away-1283970

"Leading into pre-season I really wanted to give the Ashes a crack but in the end I haven't had the preparation I would have liked heading into the coming season. If I was to be part of the Ashes I would need to do myself and my team-mates justice. I didn't want to be in a position of battling with my body when you need to be 100 per cent fit and ready to go at any time. That would not be fair to myself or the team.

"It was then I felt that instead of trying to play at the very highest level, knowing I have only got three or four years of cricket left, I would focus more on Victoria, helping the young guys develop, perhaps some cricket in England and spending more time with my family."

Last edited by K on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bretig:

Farewell Patto, Australia’s biggest ‘what if’ since Bruce Reid

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/farewell-patto-australia-s-biggest-what-if-since-bruce-reid-20211021-p591vp.html

"Pattinson, though, was the spiritual descendant of Merv Hughes. Just as eager to play, and play his way, whatever the consequences. He was, in some sense, at the mercy of the sheer visceral power of his bowling.

International cricket for Australia, more than ever, has become a choice to be weighed up, rather than a compulsion to be carried through - even for someone as passionate as Pattinson.

It is a source of solace that injury has not ended his career outright. Doubtless the years of lonely rehab, playing with pain and 18 months with minimal Australian Test cricket, stretched his patience more than any wild Dandenong fast man could bear."
K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:23 pm

Cummins tried to talk Pattinson out of Test retirement

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/cummins-tried-to-talk-pattinson-out-of-test-retirement-20211104-p59632.html

'“When I came in when I was 21, I’d played five first-class games. I was put in a position where I was a bit ahead of my body being thrown into the Test arena at that stage and doing well, I went from not playing to almost being the lead bowler within four or five Test matches. So that was the hardest thing, and my body wasn’t ready for that...it probably has contributed to my back being the way it is and having to go and get surgery.

“They’ve changed the way they manage players a little bit with Patty Cummins, who came on to the scene and then played a lot of one day cricket, so he built his resilience up through playing one day cricket, still getting that intensity. The way they’ve handled Pat Cummins is the blueprint of how you handle your bowlers now.”'
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:15 pm

Copeland calls time on decorated first-class career

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/trent-copeland-retires-nsw-new-south-wales-bowler-record-wickets-test-sheffield-shield/2023-03-05

"Today however the 36-year-old announced his retirement, bringing the curtain down on a 112-match, 410-wicket career for New South Wales, Australia and Northamptonshire.

In his 94 Shield matches, the 36-year-old finishes with 344 wickets at 26.30 – the third-most in NSW history behind Geoff Lawson (367) and Greg Matthews (363)."
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:01 pm

Sean Marsh

'Marsh finishes his career as Western Australia's most prolific batter of all time across the three formats, but he says it's the team success he had across a trophy-laden decade for WA Cricket that he'll remember most fondly.

"It's been an amazing journey, never in my wildest dreams did I think that I'd be here for 22 years and that's something that I'm very proud of," he said.'

Most Runs for WA
(All Formats)

1. Shaun Marsh 12,811 (236 Matches)
2. Justin Langer 12,780 (208)
3. Adam Voges 11,338 (231)
4. Tom Moody 10,857 (207)
5. Mike Hussey 10,727 (196)

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/shaun-marsh-injury-weights-mentally-physically-cooked-retirement-western-australia-reaction/2023-03-11
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:21 pm

Paine calls time on career...

Tim Paine announces retirement after an incredible 18-year domestic career

'Wicketkeeper Paine skippered Australia in 23 Tests between early 2018 and 2021, playing 35 Tests overall.

Paine, who debuted against Pakistan at Lords in 2010, averaged 32.63 in Test matches with a highest-score of 92 and made 157 dismissals behind the stumps.

He also played 35 One-Day Internationals for Australia.

The Hobart-born Paine represented Tasmania over 18 years after debuting in 2005, playing 153 first-class matches.

"He has been a phenomenal player, it is an incredible effort to have the longevity that he has had," Tasmania captain Jordan Silk said.

"I'm sure a lot of guys will say there has never been as good a keeper as Tim Paine in Australia.

"Considering his age, the standard of keeping he has been able to maintain has been really incredible."'

(AAP, 17 March)
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:53 pm

New article on Trent Copeland:

From third grade keeper to one of the Shield's most feared

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature/trent-copeland-retirement-reflections-nsw-blues-aggression-control-swing-seam-commentary-channel-7/2023-05-30

'"There is no replacement for ball movement," the 37-year-old says. ...

"At no stage anywhere around the world is movement not the most important thing, and secondary to that, length control. Having a batter caught on the crease, the ability to not have them committed forward or back, those things are far more important than what pace you bowl."'
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:50 pm

‘We’ve moved on’: Paine joins Cricket Australia in coaching role

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/we-ve-moved-on-paine-joins-cricket-australia-in-coaching-role-20230603-p5ddns.html

"Eight months after heavily criticising Cricket Australia in his book about the way he was forced out as captain, Tim Paine is joining the sport’s governing body as a part-time coach of the Australian Under-19 and Australia A teams.

The new role comes along with burgeoning interests outside cricket that includes a growing gym franchise, Body Fit Training, with current chairman of selectors George Bailey and former St Kilda AFL star Nick Riewoldt; an all-in-one app Fandelo for sport and music fans with Riewoldt and Ricky Ponting; and a return to sports radio."
K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:39 am

25 Aug 2023

'... Tim Paine is set to add another string to his expanding coaching CV when he joins Adelaide Strikers as an assistant coach in KFC BBL|13.

Paine, who will also serve as Adam Voges' assistant for Australia A's first four-day match against New Zealand A in Brisbane next week, has quickly made the transition into coaching after retiring from first-class cricket at the end of last season.

The 38-year-old gloveman was also involved in mentoring Australia's best under-19 talent at a training camp at the National Cricket Centre in Brisbane earlier this year.'

(cricket.com.au)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: