Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tennis domestic violence allegations, scandals, etc.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:27 am
Post subject: Tennis domestic violence allegations, scandals, etc.Reply with quote

"Zverev's former girlfriend, Olya Sharypova, alleges [Zverev] pushed her up against the wall of a hard-tiled bathroom and grabbed her by the throat at the event two years ago. Zverev has denied the accusations."

https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/tennis-news-atp-announces-investigation-into-domestic-abuse-allegations-against-alexander-zverev_sto8571345/story.shtml

Last edited by K on Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile...

Police intervene in Kyrgios’ hotel quarantine feud with girlfriend

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/police-intervene-in-kyrgios-hotel-quarantine-feud-with-girlfriend-20211008-p58ye8.html

'“In the afternoon of Thursday 7 October 2021, police were alerted to a verbal argument between two occupants within a Medi-hotel,” SA Police said in a statement.

“An investigation was conducted, no offences were disclosed and both parties will now spend the remainder of their quarantine in separate rooms.”'
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:18 pm

Update:

On 4 Oct, 2022, the Zverev investigation was still "ongoing".

On 7 Jan, 2023, tennis journalists called out the ATP for its delay.

But it can't be easy for the ATP to investigate such things. They don't have police resources... And even police find it hard.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:01 am

Acceptance of coaches sleeping with tennis players must end: Shriver

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/acceptance-of-coaches-sleeping-with-tennis-players-must-end-shriver-20230122-p5cejw.html

'In publicly exposing a five-year affair that started when she was 17 years old and Candy was 50, Shriver demanded that tennis’ governing bodies confront an issue both taboo and hiding in plain sight; coaches sleeping with their players.

Two months ago, the WTA appointed Seattle-based sports lawyer Lindsay Brandon to the newly created position of director of safeguarding.

Brandon’s job is to design and implement policies and education programs to help players and coaches maintain professional boundaries and navigate a fraught part of life on tour. The WTA has not indicated whether it is considering tighter regulation of coaches or prohibiting sex between accredited coaches and their charges.

However, calls for cultural reform have grown louder since tennis coach Pierre Bouteyre was charged with the alleged rape and sexual assault of French player Fiona Ferro.

Victoria Azarenka, a member of the WTA player council, says the dependence some young players have on their coaches makes them ripe for manipulation.

Regulations around player-coach relationships in tennis would sit uneasily with players such as Petra Kvitova, who announced last year that she was marrying her coach Jiri Vanek. ...

Russian player Veronika Kudermetova has been married for five years to her coach Sergey Demekhin. The pair started working together when Kudermetova was 15 and Demekhin approaching 30. Kudermetova has told Russian reporters she was at first uncomfortable with the relationship.

“Even when I turned 18 and we started dating, sometimes I was still ashamed because of the age difference and the fact that he was my coach,” she said.

Tennis Australia a year ago launched a revised national safeguarding policy “A Safer Game Plan”, which seeks to educate club officials and coaches about protecting minors from mistreatment or abuse and children about speaking up if they don’t feel safe.

[Shriver] accepts that in tennis, like any profession, consenting adults who work together will sometimes become romantically involved. She believes that when this happens, the player should start looking for another coach.'
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:21 pm

Nick Kyrgios assault charge dismissed after guilty plea

"Nick Kyrgios has had an assault charge dismissed ... after he pleaded guilty to shoving over his ex-girlfriend in 2021.

The magistrate said the publicity of the trial, the time that has elapsed since the incident, and the fact that it appeared to be a one-off incident, meant the case did not warrant a conviction.

Passari didn’t report the incident until 10 months later. The pair had a tumultuous relationship, briefly reconciling after the altercation...

Kyrgios’s lawyer ... asked the charges be dismissed under a section of the local crimes act that lets a magistrate dismiss a charge if they think an accused is mentally impaired and that it would benefit the community along with the offender.

But Campbell found Kyrgios was not mentally impaired..."

(Fairfax/AAP)
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:14 pm

Mens tennis is becoming like basketball these days boring egos
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:37 am

ATP finds 'insufficient evidence' on abuse allegations against Zverev

Jan 31

'The ATP will not take any action against ... Alexander Zverev following allegations of domestic abuse..., the men's tennis governing body said on Tuesday.

The ATP said the investigation's primary focus was related to alleged abuses taking place at the Masters event in Shanghai in 2019 but its scope also included alleged misconduct in Monaco, New York and Geneva based on reports.

"The investigation was carried out by The Lake Forest Group (LFG), a third-party investigator.

"LFG conducted extensive interviews with both Sharypova and Zverev, and 24 other individuals including family and friends, tennis players, and other parties involved with the ATP Tour."

After the 15-month investigation, which involved going through material on Zverev's electronic devices, the ATP said they were unable to substantiate allegations of abuse or determine that any player offences took place.

"This determination may however be re-evaluated should new evidence come to light, or should any legal proceedings reveal violations of ATP rules," it added.

"Zverev has consistently denied all allegations and supported ATP's investigation."'

(Reuters)
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm

... ‘inappropriate and damaging’...

Pam Shriver
April 21, 2022 — 8.58am

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/shriver-reveals-inappropriate-and-damaging-relationship-with-australian-coach-20220421-p5af06.html

"The short version of this story is that I had an inappropriate and damaging relationship with my much older coach, which began when I was 17 and lasted a little over five years. I’ve set out the details of my painful and emotional journey below. It hasn’t been easy to rake over what happened, but it needs to be brought out into the open.

My main motivation is to let people know this still goes on. I believe abusive coaching relationships are alarmingly common in sport as a whole. My particular expertise, though, is in tennis, where I have witnessed dozens of instances in my four-and-a-bit decades as a player and commentator. Every time I hear about a player who is dating their coach, or I see a male physio working on a female body in the gym, it sets my alarm bells ringing.

It’s not only women who suffer from abusive coaching relationships, but they make up the majority. Sometimes it’s young girls and much older men.

For any player or athlete who might be reading this, I want to emphasise the downsides of blurring personal and professional boundaries. My experience suggests that, when you separate these two parts of your life, it’s not only your emotional wellbeing that improves but also your performance on the court.

I just started sobbing. I can remember very clearly saying, “There’s something else here.” He said “What?” and I said, “I’m falling in love with you.” I was 17 years old. He was 50.

This is where things could and should have taken a different turn. If Don had been better informed, he might have been cannier about the potential complications that come with coaching an adolescent girl. Clearly, he wasn’t a predator.

I still have conflicted feelings about Don. Yes, he and I became involved in a long and inappropriate affair. Yes, he was cheating on his wife. But there was a lot about him that was honest and authentic. And I loved him.

Even so, he was the grown-up here. He should have been the trustworthy adult. In a different world, he would have found a way to keep things professional. ...

My relationship with Don was a traumatic experience for me. The after-effects lasted far beyond the time we spent together. Our affair shaped my whole world view of romantic life. It stunted my ability to form normal relationships and set certain patterns which would recur: my ongoing attraction to older men, and my difficulties in understanding how to maintain healthy boundaries.

Then, in 1980, we were in Montreal and Virginia Wade came marching up to me and said – straight out – “Are you and Don having an affair?” Classic Virginia! I was so uneasy, I actually felt sick, and I just denied it. But gradually, over time, it became an open secret on the tour.

In 1993, the investigative reporter Michael Mewshaw wrote a book –
Ladies of the Court – in which he suggested that tennis “needs to advise players about the potential for abuse [and] warn coaches that exploitative behaviour will be penalised”.

His reward for trying to blow the whistle was to see his book banned from the grounds of tournaments. "
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:49 pm

Alexander Zverev again denies allegations of assault in Berlin

July 25, 2023

" Alexander Zverev has again denied allegations of assault after the public prosecutor's office in Berlin applied for a penalty order to be made against the German tennis star.

DPA reported the Tiergarten District Court confirmed receipt of the prosecutor's application on July 7 and that Zverev was accused of assault. The court did not provide further details.

Broadcaster RTL was first to break news of the application Friday. RTL reported the alleged injured party was Zverev's former partner Brenda Patea, who gave birth to their daughter in March 2021.

In January this year, the ATP said there was "insufficient evidence" to substantiate allegations of domestic abuse against Zverev made by another former girlfriend, Olya Sharypova."

(AP)
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:55 pm

In cricket...

Ex-Nepal captain Sandeep Lamichhane has been convicted of rape. He played 43 BBL games 2018-22.

He'd been allowed to keep playing while on bail.

"But his continued playing career has also sparked anger...

Scotland's cricketers refused to shake hands with him after their matches during an international tournament in Dubai."

(Hun)
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:40 pm

Lamicchhane was sentenced to 8 years jail, plus a fine of 1/2 million rupees.

His lawyers say they'll appeal the verdict.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:33 pm

Zverev hits out at questions over domestic violence trial

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/top-male-players-dodge-questions-on-sixth-seed-zverev-s-domestic-violence-trial-20240116-p5exmq.html

Updated January 17, 2024 — 10.02am

'“Why would it not be?” the 26-year-old responded when asked if it was appropriate if he remained part of the ATP player’s committee.

“Nobody has said anything to me. I don’t have a reason not to believe that.”

But the world’s No.1 female player, Iga Swiatek – while not passing judgment on Zverev – told this masthead earlier it was “not good when a player that’s facing charges like that is being promoted”.

German news agencies reported on Monday that Zverev would face a trial in May, during the French Open, after he contested a $740,000 fine issued by a Berlin court for physically abusing his former partner in 2020.

Several of the world’s top male players refused to comment on the off-court matter on Tuesday, including Bulgarian 13th seed Grigor Dimitrov, who sits on the players’ council alongside Zverev. He said he was not aware of the latest developments. “If it’s needed, we can sit down and talk about it,” Dimitrov said.

Greek world No.7 Stefanos Tsitsipas said he was “completely unfamiliar” with the situation, and British 19th seed Cameron Norrie said it was “tough to comment” as he didn’t know much about what happened.

“I haven’t had too much time to think about it,” said Norwegian world No.11 Casper Ruud. “I’m not exactly sure how to react to it.”

In Germany, if there is enough compelling evidence to believe a trial is unnecessary, a prosecutor can seek a penalty order. Zverev contested the fine, prompting the trial, which is set for May 31. He will not have to appear in court, and can instead be represented by a lawyer.

Zverev later sued US publication Slate over the article, and a German court granted an injunction to order the publication to take down the article written by freelance tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg, but Slate refused.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: