Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Russian invasion of Ukraine

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
The scenes out today were a horror show. Primitive psychopath.

what to do?
my hubby and the old guy next doot to my beach house both think that the Ukraine should do a France, let them in and then slowley take it back. Jezza had a reasonable idea, kinda like Korea, split it in half. i guess thats ok if your on the side you want to be on

for me, just kill the bastard.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:27 pm

^ Not my idea, TP. According to some intelligence agencies, they think Putin wants to split it in half.

If Ukraine is in a weakened position at the negotiation table, they may agree to relinquish it to save any further cost and damage if Russia stops attacking them.

I wouldn't be surprised at the end of this if Crimea and Eastern Ukraine is officially recognised as being a part of the Russian Federation.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:23 pm

Looks like Putin is withdrawing his troops back to the eastern fringe after destroying large parts of the country. Ukraine is forcing them back.

Buildings destroyed, people killed, huge numbers fleeing the country as refugees. WTF for? Some old madmans twisted dreams?

The Ukraine President has done a great job, the only thing I'd give Putin is a bullet in the head. While they've got them backing up I hope they don't agree to partition the country or give up any disputed lands but try to push the cnuts right out of the country.

If they need to concede those parts that have been in dispute for the past 8 years, only do it if Russia agrees to pay to rebuild all that they've destroyed.

I like Zelenskyy's offer of a referendum on the country becoming a neutral state if Russia pulls out, but Russia's arms seem to have been exposed as outdated, so provided Putin doesn't go nuclear the modern arms being gifted to the Ukraine is winning.

Interesting to read Australia is sending some Bushmaster armoured vehicles over. I didn't realise we made them here and sold them to multiple other countries, they must go OK because Zelenskyy specifically asked for some.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:11 am

Just to add to the violence of it all:

Quote:
Ukraine’s economy is on course to contract by almost half this year as the Russian invasion and the impact of a “deep humanitarian crisis” takes its toll, the World Bank has said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/apr/10/ukraine-economy-gdp-russia-invasion-world-bank-forecast

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:26 pm

Anybody got a read on where this is going or how it ends?

Millions of people displaced, hundreds if not thousands killed, towns and cities razed for no justifiable reason. It's just SFU.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:49 am

^I was just thinking that it could be there are no answers beyond a pitiful clinging to delusions of self-importance as Russia loses its mystique and global villain role, becoming nothing but a maligned backward peasant outpost in the shadows of Europe and China, which keep going from strength-to-strength. The rise of green energy only hastens the decline.

Putin is increasingly cutting a pathetic, cowardly figure who has gone the way of Trump, and like that flagging geriatric loser is lashing out with violent bullying to demonstrate he's still significant.

So, I reckon it's purely an effort to maintain influence and control over a neighbour and region that's sick of the bastard. Crimea wasn't enough because no one cared, basically saying take it and eff off. So the declining loser needs to insinuate himself still further into Europe. Indeed, becoming entangled in conflict has always been his MO for convincing himself he's important.

Putin: "Look at me, leader of the Great Russian Empire. Don't forget the Cold War. I'm still important."

World: "Go eff yourself, deluded failed thug from another century. And take your fossil fuels and shove them up your ar$e. Oh, and you'll be paying for everything you break."

Of course, that doesn't send the bastard back over the border, and it makes him dangerous and unpredictable. It also doesn’t free Ukraine. But it does increase the likelihood of internal Russian dissatisfaction and has made NATO expansion a foregone conclusion.

That said, the news today is that Ukraine is bracing itself for a renewed assault as Russia amasses more troops, so the scumbag isn't going away in a hurry. The delusion is strong in this one.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:16 am

Yeah, I follow this every day in the hope of some wind-down in conflict or process towards a ceasefire or Russian withdrawal. But there seems to be no end in sight.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:47 am

swoop42 wrote:
Wokko wrote:
As far as I know Diesel electric subs are quieter than nuclear and a real pain in the arse for the Americans.

In 2003 war games a Collins class sub 'sunk' a US Carrier and 2 Nuclear attack subs.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/23/1064082993693.html

I actually remember that funnily enough.

I guess the real plus of a nuclear sub is that it can stay at sea in a time if war for as long as the provisions to keep the sailors alive last.

The funny thing about a lot of this expensive hardware is that if a war breaks out between super powers then most of it will be destroyed pretty easily by modern missile delivery systems.

Sitting in a tank
or aircraft carrier off the coast is fine when your invading Iraq but try doing that if Russia or China was the enemy.

I posted that back in 2016 and I believe that this current conflict is perfectly demonstrating that in modern warfare between two superpowers (or in the case of Ukraine one merely being supplied with some of the weapons of a superpower) that big ticketed and expensive weapons of war like tanks are extremely vulnerable now to just a single soldier armed with a shoulder launched javelin missile.

In reality the experience of the Russian army in this conflict is still a fortunate one and for a second time they can be thankful Ukraine doesn't have the capability to destroy a long convey of Russian military hardware form the air.

It should be a wake up call to the West also and demonstrate that a modern war between two superpowers wont have a front line like we associate with WW2 and your supply lines will be under threat a very long way from any active conflict thanks to modern missile technology and aircraft while those billion dollar battleships sitting off the coast with their sophisticated defensive systems could in reality be taken out of action if your enemy is prepared to simply detonate a tactical nuclear weapon within it's vicinity.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:51 pm

I must say that Western media coverage of Ukraine can be somewhat eyebrow-raising at times. The recent arrest of Ukrainian opposition leader Viktor Medvedchuk for treason seems like a pretty clear instance of political imprisonment, but look at how this article frames things:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/12/ukraine-arrest-putin-ally-viktor-medvedchuk

And compare with coverage of the arrest of prominent Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny. Whose quotes are given prominence? What gets mentioned, and what doesn't?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/17/alexei-navalny-detained-at-airport-on-return-to-russia

I'm not saying the two cases are identical: it may well be true that Navalny is innocent of the embezzlement charges against him – though, sadly, what often happens in a corrupt country like Russia is that everybody in the business world there is by necessity tainted in some way, and evidence of that corruption is then selectively used to persecute high-profile dissidents – and it may equally be true that Medvedchuk is guilty of passing on state secrets, though you'd have to be very naive to presume that there aren't self-serving domestic political manoeuvres from Zelenskyy at play. Either way, it's very hard to tell where the truth lies in either case from our vantage point.

I think it's always useful to point these things out without any agenda, because we should all be aware of how news reportage reflects and shapes opinions. Comparing articles like these side by side would be a great case study for, say, a media studies class, and I can only say I hope such things are being taught at the moment. It's important to be alert to issues like bias and selective facts so that we can avoid falling into the twin traps of being too credulous or too cynical (in the latter case, dismissing everything that doesn't align with a preordained viewpoint as "fake news" instead of learning to consume all media critically).

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:08 pm

^No one is going to parse it to that precision, though, not least because the wanton killing and destruction that dwarfs those considerations is consciously designed to thwart Ukrainian efforts to reform and move beyond the ugly, soul-destroying authoritarianism and corruption championed by Putin. Escaping the Russian authoritarian sphere and reforming in line with EU expectations is Ukraine's best hope of dealing with its high levels of corruption.

The most annoying thing here is not Ukraine's foibles, but the fact that our own scumbags are never ever held to account for their war crimes (so Iraq), undermining our efforts in genuine crises such as this one.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:30 am

Here you go, David; the NYTimes reporting on Ukraine's possible use of cluster munitions :

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/18/world/europe/ukraine-forces-cluster-munitions.html

Not that many tears will be shed for an invading army.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:31 am

pietillidie wrote:
^No one is going to parse it to that precision, though, not least because the wanton killing and destruction that dwarfs those considerations is consciously designed to thwart Ukrainian efforts to reform and move beyond the ugly, soul-destroying authoritarianism and corruption championed by Putin. Escaping the Russian authoritarian sphere and reforming in line with EU expectations is Ukraine's best hope of dealing with its high levels of corruption.

I agree that that’s part of the Russian aim, undoubtedly. But failing to acknowledge the Ukrainian government’s agency in playing into that goal can serve as something of a mirror image of the Putinist argument that Ukraine is America’s puppet: both views elide Ukrainian domestic and – more importantly – factional interests. (Indeed, there are suggestions of late that Zelenskyy is pushing away from the EU liberal-democratic model and signposting a more nationalistic and militaristic future direction: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/5/zelenskyy-says-wants-ukraine-to-become-a-big-israel)

The extent to which any of that ought to matter to us depends on the context; hardly anybody in the West cares if a minor party leader in Latvia or Lebanon gets imprisoned, and it’s clearly a second-order issue compared with invasion and occupation. But popular Western media narratives painting Zelenskyy as a hero and an avatar for admirable governance (based on little more than a TV image) do feel totally disconnected from anything resembling Ukrainian political reality – and, as with Andrew Cuomo a couple of years ago, liable to fall away pretty quickly once cracks in the facade emerge.

How any of that helps the Russian propaganda effort is hard to know for sure. Certainly, it gives them a useful straw man to wield – because, they’ll eagerly ask, if Zelenskyy is not a "hero" as all your Facebook friends and cable news talking heads are saying, then what else about the "official narrative" might be false? In that sense, it’s important to acknowledge complexities and welcome criticisms from day one, because black-or-white heroes-vs-villains narratives are one of the few cards that warmongers like Putin have to play.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:09 pm

^I don't disagree in theory, I'm just not sure if it can be done in any meaningful way in a clear invasion scenario.

That aside, is it time to escalate support given news today of a more concerted Russian front? Being cautious initially is one thing, but there is an argument that the degree of uncertainty needs to be dialled up considerably now, otherwise the ba$tard will press on in full confidence he will get what he wants regardless. That's neither a good outcome, nor a good signal to be sending generally.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:47 pm

The trick, I think, is to be certain about specific things – i.e. the importance of supporting Ukraine to resist the invasion, and to bring an end to the conflict (that isn't on Putin's terms) as soon as possible. That's the ball we need to keep our eyes on, and a position that we can confidently assert, even if other areas remain grey. It need not be a package deal with other positions regarding Zelenskyy's governance or internal Ukrainian political problems.

Perhaps all this goes without saying and external noise is inevitable in any case, but I do think that both moral urgency in relation to the biggest thing currently at stake and an informed critical position on broader issues are compatible, and ideally should be cultivated simultaneously where possible.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:02 pm

Relevant to how Russia operates.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-21/russia-and-japan-at-odds-over-ukraine-and-islands/100999154

Quote:
For most of World War II, Japan and the Soviet Union were not adversaries, signing a neutrality agreement in 1941.

But in August 1945, the Soviet Union saw an opportunity to attack a crippled and near-defeated Japan.

Moscow violated the neutrality pact and attacked Japanese positions, taking territory even after Tokyo announced its intention to surrender.

Four islands were seized and never returned: Etorofu, Kunashiri, Habomai and Shikotan.

I wasn't aware of any of this. Russia's chickens may be coming home to roost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 28 of 42   

Jump to: