Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who Will Replace Waugh As Skipper ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:31 am
Post subject: Who Will Replace Waugh As Skipper ?Reply with quote

Steve Waugh is still the Test captain. I think he should lead the tour to the Windies but it is time for some discussion regarding his replacement as skipper when he retires.

What do you reckon? Punta? Gilly? Warney? Katich? Haydos? Boof? They've all been mentioned. Someone else?

I think Warne is the best prospect but has probably blotted the old off-field copybook once too often. Gilly has nominated Ponting so that just about rules out his own chances and enhances Ricky's.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 07 January 2003).]
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by Fradam:

If Steve does retire who should replace him then as captain if it's not Punter?

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:36 am

Kristin5 says:

I honestly don't know who should replace Stevie as captain, which has meant that I have been confused as to why they are so keen to get rid of him when there is no obvious replacement???

I don't think Ponting is the 'right type', nor is Gilchrist (though my preference would probably be Gilly over Punta). I would like to see Matty get it, but I know I'm dreamin'!!!!

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:40 am

Fradam also wrote this:

Well Hayden for captain isn't the silliest thing I've heard. Personally I'd like to see Warney as captain but apparently if your not an angel off the field you can't be captain.

Back to Haydos though I think he's a good person to captain, only problem with Matt is that he's never captained his state which leaves him no chance of captaining Australia.

Donny.

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:44 am

Yeah, Fradam ideally I'd love Warney to be captain too - he really knows his stuff! Is very astute in his field placings - his larrikin behaviour unfortunately has overshadowed his brilliant overall cricket knowledge however, which is a real shame. Although I think that his behaviour has certainly improved, he has really matured of late and so should be given another chance (after all, hasn't Punta got a few skeletons in his closet too? I think so!)

I also thought the same about Matty - that he would be a good captain but as he hasn't even been given a chance to captain his state side, then it is unlikely he'll be given captaincy at International Level. Bummer!

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:45 am

I really cant see Gilly taking over as captain, no way Warney should be captian because that will put more pressure on him, So the only choice would have to be Punta!!

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:36 pm

I can't believe we are even discussing this guys PUNTA all the way I can't wait to see him as captain he is going to rock!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:15 pm

Well i think Ricky is DEFINATLY the dude for the job. I hope he gets it cos he will be awesome. That guy rocks my world.

GO RICKY

BROOKE'S TECHNO LYRICS ENCYCLOPAEDIA

"I still believe in your eyes.I just don't care what you have done in your life.
Baby i'll always be here by your side.Don't leave me waiting too long,please come by!
I, I, I, I still believe in your eyes. There is no choice, I belong to your life. Because I will live to love you someday. You'll be my baby and we'll fly away. And i'll fly with you,
I'll fly with you, I'll fly with you!"

***Ill fly with you - Gigi D'Agostino***
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:47 pm

kristin5 wrote this on Dec. 6th.

As for the next captain, I'm not so sure about Ponting. I will watch with interest as to how he goes captaining the one day side in this series...I'm not sure he's mature enough to captain, he hasn't got that indefinable something which is needed IMO. I'd still live to see Warney as Aussie Captain - how appropriate, a lovable larrikin as head of our national team. I love it!

Donny.

pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:28 am

i think either warney or boof,the way ive seen those 2 players captain their state sides,they r attacking captain in the field,i dont know if any1 would aggree there with me??.

cheers bryan..!!

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:36 am

I would say Shane Warne tectically would be the best captain. Warne is also a great competitor and seems easy to get along with. However the thing going against him is that he is Victorian.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:02 am

Do you reckon after Bill Lawry, they'd never pick a Vic again? Lol.

Donny.

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:42 am

boof? dont reckon he should even be in the side let alone captain it. a good player though but he's past his time. someone with long term prospects is best - punter being the obvious choice. in the next 5 years - no waugh (already lost junior), no warny, mcgrath, lehmann, gilly would be about 36 i think by then, same with langer and hayden, gillespie etc. inject michael clarke and/or katich etc with noffke over the next 2 years and give ponting the skipper's role.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:55 pm

Ponting has been groomed for the job and would suit the Australian mould as the last few Captains, Waugh, Taylor and Border have all been batsman. England seem to also choose batsman as their captains eg Gooch, Gatting, Atherton, Stewart, Hussain.

Its interesting in that Pakistan choose bowlers often to captain the team eg Younis, Akram and Khan. Although just about anyone and everyone gets a turn at captaincy.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: