Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Darren Lehmann - The Big Fat Bald Bloke :)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:19 am
Post subject: Darren Lehmann - The Big Fat Bald Bloke :)Reply with quote

Very Interesting article as on BBC website.....

Lehmann in 'racist outburst'

Lehmann was run out by Arnold for 38
Batsman Darren Lehmann has been reprimanded for a racist outburst during Australia's VB Series victory over Sri Lanka on Wednesday, according to a report.
The CricInfo website claimed that Sri Lankan team members heard the outburst clearly in their dressing-room after Lehmann was dismissed for 38.

The left-hander had taken part in a match-winning 72-run stand with Michael Bevan before he was run out by Russel Arnold attempting a second run.

The Sri Lankan team immediately lodged an official complaint with match referee Clive Lloyd.

Lloyd severely reprimanded Lehmann, according to the report, and warned the Australian team and management that he considered the offence to be extremely serious.

An ICC spokesman told BBC Sport Online he was unable to confirm the report until Thursday.

"I am aware of the report but I have not had a chance to speak to Clive Lloyd yet," the spokesman said.

The outburst is the second incident in the Australian dressing-room this month.

Matthew Hayden was fined 20% of his match fee after breaking a window following his dismissal on the fourth day of the final Ashes Test in Sydney.

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. For anyone reading this who think JLC's headline should be edited or deleted.

After another good performance from Lehmann, in the one-dayers, I posted this on December 22: "Hey, JLC. Who's that old fat bloke who just racked up 100 in 100 balls in Perth. LOL. - Donny."

So don't be too hard on him. The topic heading is not as off as it may sound.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:45 pm

Darrens been a naughty naughty boy

Level 3 Breach of the ICC Code of Conduct

Could face missing up to 4 test matches or 8 one day Internationals

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:32 pm

I would normally think that is not a nice thing to say about Lehmann but after hearing what he said I couldn't care less! Also I heard the crowd were saying a lot of stupid things and that really upsets me I hope these guys don't think we are all like that in Australia.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:48 pm

Oh, what did he say, Mrs Taz? I've read the reports and watched the news and sports news and still don't know. A racist outburst is the only description I've heard.

Whatever he did say was said in the Aussie dressing rooms and apologised for immediately after the game, to the Sri Lankan team.

I think we may all be more than a little surprised at what the Pakistanis, Indians, Sri Lankans and South Africans get away with saying ON THE FIELD because it's not said in English.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:19 am

Sri Lanka were not going to get Lehmann charged. However Malcolm Speed has decided to take the matter further.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:21 pm

No, you're not seeing double, folks. I did post this elsewhere but it's more pertinent here.

There's a heap of over-reaction going on. I'm certainly not condoning what Lehmann is reported to have said but it's always a good exercise to reverse any situation to see how it holds up.

Would there have been any reaction at all, if a Sri Lankan player had used the same words in the same situation - in the dressing room and was overheard - but had said 'white' instead of 'black'? I wonder.

As Geoff Lawson said today, the match referee, Clive Lloyd, accepted that Lehmann apologised, verbally as soon as possible to the Sri Lankans and later in a written statement. He (Lawson) went on to say Malcolm Speed's intervention was way over the top.

The Sri Lanka captain, Sanath Jayasuriya, said in today's Australian, "I'm very happy that things are solved. There is no problem."

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 19 January 2003).]
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:36 pm

Sorry Donny I don't know exactly what he said either but I just don't think it's very nice. I do agree with you that using the term "white" would not have created the same reaction and this is unfair but I just don't like racist comments. We all say things when we are upset and angry that we don't mean to say but these days you just have to be so carefull. You are also right about other countries who don't speak English we wouldn't have a clue what they were saying hmm maybe I should teach the Aussie cricketers a few Greek words LoL! Or just do what Slats did use every swear word under the sun without making a racist comment LoL that way you just get fined and avoid being called a racist!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:32 am

Well i would have thought in this day and age people would act in a more civil manner. Aussie Rules took a while to stamp it out but it seems to be better now.

I wonder if Darren Lehmann would have said that same comment if the match was being played in Sri Lanka?

Most likely he will not be suspended as the ICC dont make many tough decisions and mostly sweep things under the carpet.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:16 am

in my experience JLC the ICC don't make any decisions at all!! - but they are quick to defend the subcontinent cricketers for fear of them all going on strike - which they threaten at least once a summer!!

Lehman should get suspended in my view, if not by the ICC then by the team, just to show that the team takes these things seriously.

But I've gotta say I don't think he means anything by it, a lot of aussies use those sort of words as just another derogitory statement and don't realise that racism is huge in other parts of the world, I'm not talking about culturalsim, which is huge in australia, but the real we're-better-than-you-because-we're-white racism.

- Ben

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:04 am

ADELAIDE, Jan 18 AAP - Australian batsman Darren Lehmann was today suspended for five one day international matches for breaching the International Cricket Council's racial vilification code.

Lehmann was found guilty of a breach during a three hour hearing in Adelaide today.

Lehmann is the first international cricketer to be suspended for beaching the game's racial code of conduct.

Lehmann was to have been vice captain in the tomorrow's one day match against England at Adelaide Oval, but national selectors are believed to have summoned New South Wales batsman Michael Clarke as his replacement.

The South Australian and Yorkshire captain had already apologised for a racial slur after being dismissed against Sri Lanka in one day match in Brisbane on Wednesday.

He offered a verbal and written apologies to the Sri Lankans which were immediately accepted.

The Australian Cricket Board instructed Lehmann to also undergo counselling but did not impose a further penalty, prompting the ICC to charge the left-handed batsman under its racial vilification code.

Donny.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:16 pm

just copped 5 weeks! DONT BAG BLACKS!!!! WEST INDIES ARE BLAAAAAAAAAAACK !

footy ROX!

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 19 January 2003).]
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:18 pm

A fair and reasonable penalty.
The ICC are finally showing some backbone on this issue.
Now if only they would back up their umpires and rid the game of chuckers!

-Craig

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:25 pm

Yup sounds fair enough to me. As long as they are consistent then thats fine

Im sure Darren has learnt his lesson

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:57 pm

O.K so it was finally revealed in the paper today what he did actually say not that we needed to know but hey I was curious! I was stunned that he received 5 matches and I guess it is fair enough but it does seem very harsh but such things happen when an example has to be made! Clarke is now in the team and I must say I am very happy about that!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: