Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Saints. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

LaurieHolden wrote:
Lipinski has great hands.

Henry needs a stablemate, like a goat with an old horse.

Noble & IQ gave us attacking drive through the lines.
IQ has safe hands.

I don't know what the game plan is but it was certainly different.

Great that we were tested and able to hold them off.

St Kilda aren't going to okay finals either.

The game plan depends upon winning the contested ball out of the centre and locking it forward. The team was brilliantly successful at that tonight. They won the centre clearances 18 to 9 (that's a massive turn around from last year) and, more significantly, many were clean, dangerous, 2017-style Cotchin/Martin clearances of the kind Collingwood hasn't tried to create for most of the last decade - that's what enabled Collingwood to kick repeat - and quick repeat - goals. It's a massive change from the way they played last year. It will take some time for it to become second nature - and we saw in the middle of the third quarter how totally dependent it is upon Grundy's greatness. We plainly need a plan B for when he needs a breather - but when it worked tonight, it was extremely efficient. Equally importantly, it leads to exhilarating, attacking football that doesn't make you want to just switch channels and hope that Manly will lose.

A great deal to like.

I should say that I gave them no chance pre-game with such an inexperienced lineup and when they ran out of puff in the third quarter, I thought that might be the end of the line. They showed great character to press on and re-take the initiative.

I expect them to be up and down this year - I don't think we just watched round 1 of 1977, for example - but it was - for the first time in many seasons - genuinely exciting and entertaining to watch Collingwood play. Long may that continue.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:00 pm

Collingwood 15.12.102
St. Kilda 12.13.85

Goals: Checkers 3, De Goey, Ginnivan, Sidey, Henry 2, J Daics, McCreery, Elliott, Lipinski 1,

Disposals: Lipinski 30, De Goey, N Daics 27, Adams 25, Pendles 24, Howe 23, Noble 22, J Daics 21, IQ 19, Elliott, Grundy, Sidey 17, Moore 16, Checkers 10, Madgen, Ginnivan, Crisp, Grundy 11,

AF points: Lipinski 117, De Goey 107, N Daics 102, Howe 89, Noble 88, Pendles 84.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:01 pm

The pleasing thing for me is didn’t St Kilda hit the front in the third quarter. We didn’t panic. We immediately came back at them and I think kicked the next two goals in quick succession. Then in the last quarter St Kilda were frantic. You could tell they were desperate to win. Again we held firm and didn’t panic. Our work rate was fantastic. Guys like De Goey and Moore and to a lesser extent, Adams who didn’t have a great night, willed us over the line. Great effort Pies. Maynard, Kelly and Kreuger to come in will make us better still because we look small over the field.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:03 pm

Excellent win in the end. To hit back in the last after being challenged and headed was a really positive sign. Could have very easily let that game slip and I'd say our team from 2021 probably would have found a way to lose that one.

Some of the young guys like Ginnivan, Henry, McReary, Lipinski, all stepped up when we needed them to, making strong contests and kicking goals. JDG, Sidey & Pendles were leaders all night. The back six looked a bit wobbly at times. Madgen and Moore were a bit suspect in moments but hopefully Moore will get better, not sure about old Madge, be's a bit slow to be a defender and was caught out several times. But, our depth is limited so he will get games.

Cox was ok tonight, held his spot. Did some nice things but he is who he is, he isn't getting any better even with the cool shades. Howe back in defense is really what we needed, although this game was not an overlly defensive one, was quite high scoring for the modern game.

Grundy was very good, his tap work was still not where it needs to be but he competed hard all game and although he did some silly things his effort all night was huge.

Overall, you just have to be pretty damn pleased with that performance. Round 1 with a win in the bank, take that and move along.

MONCO: Your life.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:05 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
We didn't kick over 100 points once last year.

Yep, mentioned that to my wife, it was great to see us break the ton once again...that nightmare game style from last year is just a memory thank God
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:18 pm

I reckon we could have saved about 4-5 goals if we clean up disposal in the backline and get rid of the howlers like Nicks failure to concede in the 1st, lots of improvement to be had.

We have a pretty soft first 5 games if we can get on a roll from here.

Also, when was the last time we had 2 debutants have an impact like Nicks and the File? Decades ago surely

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:19 pm

Ginnivan seems like a bit of a character I like him. Kicked some nice goals tonight.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:21 pm

Alot to like but I wont hold my breath. Our first 22 are pretty good but if we suffer injuries we will get exposed. Maybe 3 or 4 injuries we could be able to cover but anymore than that will be hard, but cross fingers and see how it goes.

Maynard and Kreuger to come in with Roughead and Dean, will be awesome to see.

7-10 wins this year.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:23 pm

What an impressive start!
Was hoping for a good bounce back this year and the signs from the new look team and coaching panel over the pre season have been validated with that win. Attacking football is back at Collingwood.
Bring on next week.

AJ 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:27 pm

Who have thought Daicos wouldn’t be the best debuting player.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:30 pm

Grundy didn't have his best night ever but his tap work was noticeably more aggressive especially at centre bounces. It showed in five goals to one from centre clearances. Work in progress but some good signs there re getting some value from his ruck dominance.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:31 pm

De Goey best on ground IMO. Cox was brilliant again. Grundy simply outstanding!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:34 pm

#26 wrote:
Ginnivan seems like a bit of a character I like him. Kicked some nice goals tonight.

He's a gem. I love him.

Magpies035 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:38 pm

Great first up win
It was great to see a new attacking style
Effort was good
Plenty of mistakes and we know that
Positive steps

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:40 pm

Jezza wrote:
#26 wrote:

He's a gem. I love him.

Me too! Lovin Beau and Patrick too! What a night, just got hone, was in no hurry, just soaking it up! Freedom, Collingwood, what more doi need!

**** the negative nellies, so Much to like! Cohesion is starting, no more grinding boundary hugging and kicking backwards sideways anyway but forward!

Congrat Billy on your 200th goal!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10   

Jump to: