Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Saints. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood 15.12.102
St. Kilda 12.13.85

Goals: Checkers 3, De Goey, Ginnivan, Sidey, Henry 2, J Daics, McCreery, Elliott, Lipinski 1,

Disposals: Lipinski 30, De Goey, N Daics 27, Adams 25, Pendles 24, Howe 23, Noble 22, J Daics 21, IQ 19, Elliott, Grundy, Sidey 17, Moore 16, Checkers 10, Madgen, Ginnivan, Crisp, Grundy 11,

AF points: Lipinski 117, De Goey 107, N Daics 102, Howe 89, Noble 88, Pendles 84.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:56 pm

A really stirring win by the Pies! All players really tipped in and played with great endeavour and spirit. šŸ‘ Fantastic effort, with many highlights from our boys. There was one really caught my attention. As mentioned already, the side step and goal from Ollie was cloning Pendles!! šŸ‘

I said to a friend how "chaos" football is certainly entertaining and exciting to watch, but must be exhausting to play. Smile Maybe that's how come the momentum swung so wildly. Still, as the young ones become more physically seasoned, they will probably be able to sustain that game style for longer periods.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:59 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Adams was awesome I think if you look closer youā€™ll see another change in his game
He had 25 touches last night but only 9 kicks meaning he fed the ball out to other players more often
Kicking has never been his strongest asset so itā€™s only a minor change but noticeable one

Yes, I was actually having that exact conversation on the 'phone with my old friend, Kosh (who only very occasionally posts on here but suffered the misfortune of sitting with me week-in and week-out at Collingwood games for about 400 years). The frustration I have always had watching Adams is seeing him on the end of the chain, taking the last important disposal. He's not well-suited to that role. He is well-suited to getting the ball and giving it with solid handball to the skill players.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:03 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
I said to a friend how "chaos" football is certainly entertaining and exciting to watch, but must be exhausting to play.

That's an interesting question. One of my tentative takeaways from last night's game was that it might, perhaps be less taxing than the previous gameplan because the kids were able to recover from an obvious physical slump in the third quarter and run over the top of St Kilda playing that style of football. I was actually expecting the kids to fall away physically in the last but they were able to hang in.

Two edits - both typos.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
MJ23 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:12 pm

Lipinski.
He was the only one I wanted of all the names thrown up as options. I said a few times. Saw him in Blacktown in a VFL game and he was BOG by a mile.
He is a cheaper replacement for Treloar and does things Treloar canā€™t.
So happy he started his career with us so well.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Adams was awesome I think if you look closer youā€™ll see another change in his game
He had 25 touches last night but only 9 kicks meaning he fed the ball out to other players more often
Kicking has never been his strongest asset so itā€™s only a minor change but noticeable one

Yes, I was actually having that exact conversation on the 'phone with my old friend, Kosh (who only very occasionally posts on here but suffered the misfortune of sitting with me week-in and week-out at Collingwood games for about 400 years). The frustration I have always had watching Adams is seeing him on the end of the chain, taking the last important disposal. He's not well-suited to that role. He is well-suited to getting the ball and giving it with solid handball to the skill players.

Only 400 years I thought you were much older mate šŸ˜‚
Agree Adams best value to the team is being the guy on the bottom of the pile extracting it
Heā€™s hard and tough will put his head over it all day
I made the comment to a mate last year watching Pendles and Sidey try to play that role comparing it to asking a Ferrari to haul a trailer load of rocks
If McRae plays players in the strongest positions then I think automatically we will be a improved side

I donā€™t want this to sound a Buckley v McRae debate but Iā€™ll pose this question
Do you think because Buckley was so versatile being able to play equally well forward middle or back that he assumed other players should be able to do the same ?
McRae was a small forward who knew his role and played it well in his team and might view things differently
Itā€™s only a observation but experiences shape opinions and that might have shaped Buckleyā€™s view to players swapping and changing roles
On a side note I thought Sidey when playing as a high half forward was more dangerous than playing as a traditional wing
Personally I would like to see him split that time more forward especially when Elliott or JDG arenā€™t forward to give the young players some extra direction
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:19 pm

mudlark wrote:
I watched the Dogs game and I can say I'd take Lipinski all year long.

One of my friends was talking with me this morning about how wonderful it is not watching Treloar run out of the centre and straight into the backline for us. He reminded me of this exchange from Moneyball:

Quote:
Billy Beane: You think you're special?
David Justice: Well, you are paying me 8 million dollars a year, so yeah.
Billy Beane: No, no. We aren't paying you. The Yankees are paying half of your salary. The Yankees are paying you 4 million dollars to play against them.

Laughing

All that stuff that was on here bout "firesales" and "disloyalty" - what it really boils down to is that we rated him so highly we were thrilled to pay him to play against us and even more thrilled to steal the guy he "keeps" out of their team. It's like we sent him to the dogs as a Trojan Horse.

When their salary cap problems force them to dump Bontempelli, I'll be interested in him, too - at the right price, of course. Wink
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:29 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
I said to a friend how "chaos" football is certainly entertaining and exciting to watch, but must be exhausting to play.

That's an ineresting question. One of my tentative takeaways from last night's gamer was that it might, perhaps be less taxing than the previous gameplan because the kids were able to recover from an obvious physical slump in the third quarter and run over the top of St Kilda playing that style of football. I was actually expecting the kids to fall away physically in the last but they were able to hang in.

For sure, it was such an impressive effort by the young ones in particular to rebound in the last quarter. Maybe there was a "second wind" element to it, plus already seeing what could be achieved by pushing forward at all costs. That would have given a valuable psychological boost to their belief in the game style and their refusal to roll over.

It will be fascinating to see how long the team (with many younger bodies) can sustain such a game style over four quarters and then across a whole season. Anyway, so far, so good šŸ‘ which is certainly welcome šŸ˜€
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:46 pm

Only saw the first half and was impressed. Promising signs.
Was impressed with Adams. Tough as nails and backed up young Daicos.
He also managed some amazing laser like passes to our forwards. I couldnā€™t believe it was him. Had to look twice!!

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:51 pm

I just wish to table another measure.

In another world, people make mistakes. The measure of performance is who gets it right more.

A backman can kick within a 5 metre radius, and it's a great kick... (or not), but the onballer couldn't hit the side of the barn.

Last night, in the last secondā€¦ Pendles decided to kick it to Coxā€¦ hitting the Saint defender on the chest. This happens a lot... not just Pendle's... all players.

It's good to see Adams getting some Kodu's.. he has improved his kicking, for sure... but IMO he never deserved the level of outcry he used to get.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:54 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Do you think because Buckley was so versatile being able to play equally well forward middle or back that he assumed other players should be able to do the same ?
McRae was a small forward who knew his role and played it well in his team and might view things differently
Itā€™s only a observation but experiences shape opinions and that might have shaped Buckleyā€™s view to players swapping and changing roles
On a side note I thought Sidey when playing as a high half forward was more dangerous than playing as a traditional wing
Personally I would like to see him split that time more forward especially when Elliott or JDG arenā€™t forward to give the young players some extra direction

What an interesting thought šŸ¤” Did Bucks have players out of their usual positions in 2018? I can't remember now, but I don't think so. I interpreted his want in recent seasons to switch players around as desperate attempts to pull the team out of the fire, rather than expecting them to be as versatile as he was (just remembering his game against Carey at CHB Smile). Still, certainly an interesting angle and makes sense that coaches would use players as they themselves were managed.

A continuation of this theme would be Fly declaring that he is more accepting of player mistakes (at this point in time anyway šŸ˜‰ ).

Anyway, it was certainly refreshing to see Josh playing in his best natural position on the wing and Sidey venturing closer into goal. Wink
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:00 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I donā€™t want this to sound a Buckley v McRae debate but Iā€™ll pose this question

I agree. Nathan could actually do just about anything on a football field in more or less any position. I remember watching him moved to centre half forward in a game (that we lost) against St Kilda at Waverley one day. He played like he was born to be a CHF and was plainly unstoppable (except that we couldn't get enough of the ball to let him do his thing). Another day, he got 3 Brownlow votes taking Wayne Carey to the cleaners, playing CHB against North at the MCG. I'm not sure having that kind of exquisite and extensive (and practically limitless) talent helps a coach sort out who can and can't play a role. I'm not wanting to start a coaching debate, either - but it must be hard to distinguish between what is down to "a lack of skill" from a player and what is down to "a lack of effort" if, deep down, you know that you could have done whatever was asked of you, any time your old coach asked you to.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:02 pm

Iā€™m beginning to love ā€œchaosā€ football being played by Collingwood. If itā€™s a winning formula go for it. I also like it when we win while having obvious improvements to make. This can only make us better. I find that there is not a lot of love for Cameron but Iā€™m not In that group. I feel that he can play a mobile supporting role to Grundy or (either Cox or Krueger) in the ruck and this will be a valuable addition. Not too sure whether we will be top heavy playing so many talks. I still feel that the main thing this season is to get games and experience into the youngsters but if they have a good balance with the experienced players and win more games then they lose, that will be a terrific setup for taking the next step in 2023. Still not fully convinced that we can play finals this year but if we start defeating really competent teams I might change my stance. But for the moment, Iā€™m basking in the teamā€™s improvement and the ensuing confidence. Bring it on!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:11 pm

how $£$%^%%$ good does the world look today!!!!

i almost feel normal!

Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:41 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Big T wrote:
Grundy played a team game and i feel he is being asked to do things differently under fly. It's no longer all about him and some supporters need to move on as well. Cracks me up that those who crucify sidey on a regular basis note his brilliance last night by not mentioning him. Well played.

Onwards and upwards pies. Finally playing like a team.

I agree T I think the new coaches want the ball in the hands of mids not rucks
He certainly looks fitter and that can never be a bad thing and he hit the ball away from his own feet which was a huge positive

As for Sidey he was solid not brilliant kicked 2 nice goals especially the curling one on the left
But 16 touches (yes 16 not 17 as in mods post 10 kick 6 handballs) isn't a great return especially at 63% eff with 4 clangers as well
He didn't have a goal assist and only 2 inside 50's but he had loads of pressure acts and played his role within the team structure
He was ranked on champion data as our 12th best player make of that what you will
I think he played the role the coach asked him and that's fine he doesn't need to get it 28 times now others can carry some of the workload
Personally I think its great we aren't reliant solely on Sidey or Pendles to be brilliant for us to win a game its been a long time since that has happened

Fair call that qldmagpie, agree. I just want to see sidey played as a forward in his twilight, do what he does best and be appreciated for that, nothing more nothing less

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: