Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Saints. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Born to Pie wrote:
Loved Fly's post match comments, such a controlled and honest character.

It's on the club website :

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1080883/post-match-craig-mcrae?videoId=1080883&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1647608306001

Just what the doctor ordered for the club.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:46 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Mc Creery huh!!! Go to the Collingwood website and check All Goals video & see his work both kicking goal tackling and deft hand pass,s to set up chain to goals

He,ll be OK for mine

Spot on. He was terrific.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:43 am

McCreery won me over. He’s an animal.
Pipes1970 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:01 am

Pies2016 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Do you think because Buckley was so versatile being able to play equally well forward middle or back that he assumed other players should be able to do the same ?
McRae was a small forward who knew his role and played it well in his team and might view things differently
It’s only a observation but experiences shape opinions and that might have shaped Buckley’s view to players swapping and changing roles
On a side note I thought Sidey when playing as a high half forward was more dangerous than playing as a traditional wing
Personally I would like to see him split that time more forward especially when Elliott or JDG aren’t forward to give the young players some extra direction

What an interesting thought 🤔 Did Bucks have players out of their usual positions in 2018? I can't remember now, but I don't think so. I interpreted his want in recent seasons to switch players around as desperate attempts to pull the team out of the fire, rather than expecting them to be as versatile as he was (just remembering his game against Carey at CHB Smile). Still, certainly an interesting angle and makes sense that coaches would use players as they themselves were managed.

A continuation of this theme would be Fly declaring that he is more accepting of player mistakes (at this point in time anyway 😉 ).

Anyway, it was certainly refreshing to see Josh playing in his best natural position on the wing and Sidey venturing closer into goal. Wink

The best coaches aren’t demanding player perfection but in a team sport, they are looking for players to execute their role perfectly. It’s like posters saying Bianco and T Brown looked out of their depth and it’s because they didn’t get much of the ball. You would need to know their opponents contribution before we could say whether they did their job or not. They might have been asked to create space behind them, so the forwards have something to lead into. We kicked 100 points, so if that was one of their requirements, then they did their job. I don’t know whether the coaching staff were happy with them or not but I do know there’s a lot more to a players performance than double digit disposals.

I was at the game and one of the players who impressed me with his efforts (other than the ones everyone is talking about) was T Brown… his attack at the contest was first rate all night. If he goes that hard at every chance I won’t care if he only gets 10 touches in a game and neither will the coaches! It was great to see.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:52 am

Pipes1970 wrote:

I was at the game and one of the players who impressed me with his efforts (other than the ones everyone is talking about) was T Brown… his attack at the contest was first rate all night. If he goes that hard at every chance I won’t care if he only gets 10 touches in a game and neither will the coaches! It was great to see.

Thanks for this insight.
It is all too true that the roles of some players are impossible for us to discern as external spectators.
I would be reluctant to make any changes to this team after such a brilliant team performance. Behind the scene, some players may have been making it possible for others to play the brilliantly observable roles they did.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:15 am

Re T Brown i saw a few things on TV that had me thinking rowdy was back out there
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:25 am

BazBoy wrote:
Mc Creery huh!!! Go to the Collingwood website and check All Goals video & see his work both kicking goal tackling and deft hand pass,s to set up chain to goals

He,ll be OK for mine

in the modern game he's the type every club needs

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:42 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Big T wrote:
Grundy played a team game and i feel he is being asked to do things differently under fly. It's no longer all about him and some supporters need to move on as well. Cracks me up that those who crucify sidey on a regular basis note his brilliance last night by not mentioning him. Well played.

Onwards and upwards pies. Finally playing like a team.

I agree T I think the new coaches want the ball in the hands of mids not rucks
He certainly looks fitter and that can never be a bad thing and he hit the ball away from his own feet which was a huge positive

As for Sidey he was solid not brilliant kicked 2 nice goals especially the curling one on the left
But 16 touches (yes 16 not 17 as in mods post 10 kick 6 handballs) isn't a great return especially at 63% eff with 4 clangers as well
He didn't have a goal assist and only 2 inside 50's but he had loads of pressure acts and played his role within the team structure
He was ranked on champion data as our 12th best player make of that what you will
I think he played the role the coach asked him and that's fine he doesn't need to get it 28 times now others can carry some of the workload
Personally I think its great we aren't reliant solely on Sidey or Pendles to be brilliant for us to win a game its been a long time since that has happened

Agree on Sidey, good solid game but nothing to write a home about...cough PS4..that being said, would be happy with 21...or even 24? more efforts like that, senior player consistency is going to be very important this year
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:44 am

#26 wrote:
Cox does my head in. I'd written him for most of the night. But as they say "the big blokes don't get any smaller" and he proved that late in the game by clunking a few big marks. He looks good when the game slows down and his height becomes more of a factor. But is it enough to justify his selection? 🤔

Bloke on Mongrel Punt calls them GOOJ marks (Get Out Of Jail...his spelling not mine) and they are really valuable, its one thing he does as well as any in the team...Checkers takes his share as well. Naughton from Dogs is also good exponent
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:17 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
mudlark wrote:
I watched the Dogs game and I can say I'd take Lipinski all year long.

One of my friends was talking with me this morning about how wonderful it is not watching Treloar run out of the centre and straight into the backline for us. He reminded me of this exchange from Moneyball:

Quote:
Billy Beane: You think you're special?
David Justice: Well, you are paying me 8 million dollars a year, so yeah.
Billy Beane: No, no. We aren't paying you. The Yankees are paying half of your salary. The Yankees are paying you 4 million dollars to play against them.

Laughing

All that stuff that was on here bout "firesales" and "disloyalty" - what it really boils down to is that we rated him so highly we were thrilled to pay him to play against us and even more thrilled to steal the guy he "keeps" out of their team. It's like we sent him to the dogs as a Trojan Horse.

When their salary cap problems force them to dump Bontempelli, I'll be interested in him, too - at the right price, of course. Wink

Shame we couldn't of arranged a straight trade last year then
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:50 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Perspective is a funny thing, Cam. I made the point in the game thread that the St Kilda run-on started on the back of Grundy going off for a rest and there was a bit of a pile on: https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=90125&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210. There always is. Sometimes, it feels like Collingwood supporters resent having truly great players in our jumper and much prefer "neat" footballers.

Probs just prefer not paying a million a year for it....
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:04 am

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
mudlark wrote:
I watched the Dogs game and I can say I'd take Lipinski all year long.

One of my friends was talking with me this morning about how wonderful it is not watching Treloar run out of the centre and straight into the backline for us. He reminded me of this exchange from Moneyball:

Quote:
Billy Beane: You think you're special?
David Justice: Well, you are paying me 8 million dollars a year, so yeah.
Billy Beane: No, no. We aren't paying you. The Yankees are paying half of your salary. The Yankees are paying you 4 million dollars to play against them.

Laughing

All that stuff that was on here bout "firesales" and "disloyalty" - what it really boils down to is that we rated him so highly we were thrilled to pay him to play against us and even more thrilled to steal the guy he "keeps" out of their team. It's like we sent him to the dogs as a Trojan Horse.

When their salary cap problems force them to dump Bontempelli, I'll be interested in him, too - at the right price, of course. Wink

Shame we couldn't of arranged a straight trade last year then

Well, yes - but even Footscray weren't quite that stupid. Personally, I'd have settled for straight delisting and wearing the cap-hit - but I appreciate that there are a few people on Nick's who still - despite all evidence to the contrary - think he went because of salary cap problems, rather than that he went because the Club identified getting rid of him as the solution. Plenty of other highly-paid players at the Club weren't targetted for movement. He was.

Anyway, whatever it has or hasn't done for him, the change has certainly been good for my mental health. Instead of becoming frustrated and disaffected every time he does something soft or useless, I now find it amusing - occasionally amusement tinged with PTSD flashbacks, but mostly genuine LOLs.
JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:59 am

Collingwood have turned pre-season predictions on their head by getting their 2022 season off to a flyer and a winning note, prevailing against St Kilda by 17 points. The Magpies looked impressive for the majority of the contest by looking to kick and handpass the footy in an aggressive and offensive manner, while reducing the lateral and retreat mode of play that has previously been a hallmark of how Collingwood used to use the ball in recent seasons. There was also a huge emphasis on the Woods kicking to contests when the football could not be disposed to a player who had separation and space to receive handballs or take marks from kicks in an attacking or better position. This style of play leads to more competing in aerial contests, groundball gathers of the footy at ground level, while there would be overall pressure with tackles, smothers and spoils to create stoppages when the team was not in a dominant field position. These changes of the game plan allowed Collingwood's forwards to be threatening at all times and also gave them opportunities to keep the ball in Collingwood's front half up forward for long enough to kick enough goals to deny the Saints momentum and victory when it was all said and done at the end of the game.

Collingwood won most of the key statistical indicators, starting with a margin of +20 for disposals (388 - 368), +29 for handballs (170 - 141), contested possessions had a narrow advantage of +3 (147 - 144), intercept possessions had a narrow advantage of +2 (73 - 71) while uncontested possessions were up by +16 (237 - 221). Hit-outs were won by +14 (41 - 27), +2 for clearances (38 - 36), centre clearances were +9 (18 - 9), tackles had a differential of +9 (60 - 51), while Tackles Inside 50 was in Collingwood's favour by +2 (12 - 10). Inside 50s were up by +7 (54 - 45), while Marks Inside 50 were won by +3 (12 - 9). St Kilda won their portion of statistical categories from sources such as kicks by +9 (227 - 218), stoppage clearances were won by +7 (27 - 20), while Marks were up by +11 (98 - 87), with Uncontested Marks clinched by +8 ( 86 - 78 ), and Contested Marks in favour of the Saints by +3 (12 - 9). I'd like to highlight that the Pies had 27 scoring shots from 54 forward entries, which means that Collingwood were scoring from 50% of their Inside 50s, and scored goals for every third or fourth entry as a rough estimate.

Patrick Lipinski (30 disposals @ 77%, 389 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 13 handballs, 4 tackles, 5 marks, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50s & 1 goal) made an immediate impression and impact on club debut with classy ball use, heavy contribution to forward supply from the midfield and scoring chains, and topped it off with a neat goal that he snapped off his left foot (non-preferred foot) in the opening term where he racked up 10 disposals, which highlighted his influence on the contest then and throughout the evening at crucial junctures.

Jordan De Goey (27 disposals @ 70%, 464 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 15 kicks, 12 handballs, 2 tackles, 5 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 12 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 2 goals) put a difficult pre-season behind him with an accumulative and prolific performance through the midfield with stints up forward. De Goey won clearances out of the centre square, got dangerous up forward where he could easily have had 5 goals, but only ended up with 2 majors that were still telling and crucial to the team's result. Score involvement numbers were a testament of De Goey's ability to create scoring opportunities for his teammates up forward, when he was not impacting the scoreboard himself.

Taylor Adams (25 disposals @ 68%, 315 metres gained, 16 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 16 handballs, 3 tackles, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 11 clearances, 8 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50s) played a crucial part as the main extractor from the packs to free the sherrin to the outside from the inside at will without fail. Adams played his role as an inside-midfielder to perfection by giving off to teammates who had separation and space from their opponents to give the forwards plenty of looks and chances.

Josh Daicos (21 disposals @ 86%, 185 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 14 handballs, 4 marks, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) found confidence and form back in his normal habitat on the wing, where he contributed to the team's ball movement nicely, and hit his targets with the majority of his possessions. I went into raptures when Josh kicked an excellent goal that he snapped off his left foot in the third term. The reason I went into raptures was because Josh Daicos is my favourite player, and has been ever since Jaidyn Stephenson went to North Melbourne.

Broidie Grundy (17 disposals @ 53%, 200 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 37 hit-outs, 9 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 2 marks, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 centre clearances & 5 Inside 50s) had an unenviable game for three quarters, before bursting to life in the final term with a productive and superb culmination after an indifferent display early on where was not offering much other than hit-outs during the first three quarters.

Nick Daicos (27 disposals @ 70%, 419 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 12 handballs, 4 tackles, 5 marks, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) recovered from an early error to produce an excellent debut and displayed class beyond his years with steady and daring ball use to maintain possession or open the game up further up the field.

Scott Pendlebury (24 disposals @ 75%, 359 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 tackles, 4 marks, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) adapted nicely in his new role as a creative decision-maker in defence. Having a player of Pendlebury's ilk now available as a defender will give the team leadership and composure, especially at times when Collingwood is under pressure behind the ball and concedes momentum at the wrong times.

John Noble (22 disposals @ 82%, 366 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 2 tackles, 7 marks, 5 score involvements & 6 Inside 50s) displayed excellent poise and effective ball use by running high up the ground from defence to link up and break lines when the team required speed on the ball to catch St Kilda's defence off balance and off guard.

Jeremy Howe (22 disposals @ 73%, 249 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 9 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) performed admirably as Collingwood's second key defender where he backed his leap to complete his marks and provided steady ball use coming out of the defensive third of the ground when the team needed it. Howe was also able to take the mark of the night to tell everyone that he has not lost his trademark leap.

Isaac Quaynor (20 disposals @ 75%, 322 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 12 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) sprung into action with plenty of run and carry coupled with long kicking to avert danger at every turn. There were also one percenters that Quaynor was able to execute defensively that kept the team in the contest when the tide was not in Collingwood's favour.

Darcy Moore (16 disposals @ 81%, 297 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 2 tackles, 7 marks, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) competed well as the club's best available key defender in partnership with Jeremy Howe. Moore was able to nullify the influence of Max King after Jeremy Howe had difficulties containing him in the second term. Moore was able to blend his marking prowess with sound ball use to give the team control of the game.

Jack Madgen (16 disposals @ 94%, 200 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 tackles, 5 marks, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) played his role well without being a star. Madgen was effective when he had the ball in his hands, and made an effort to reduce his errors, where he is often maligned, but not on this occasion. Madgen won a crucial contest late in the last quarter where he executed a spoil before successfully executing a tackle that allowed Collingwood to regain possession when the team needed it.

Jamie Elliott (17 disposals @ 71%, 231 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 5 marks, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) got on his bike to provide an outlet for the ball carrier at every opportunity as a high half-forward. Elliott was also able to reach his 200th AFL goal at a crucial time during the second quarter, courtesy of an excellent kick from Taylor Adams which Elliott marked before converting that opportunity.

Steele Sidebottom (16 disposals @ 62%, 329 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 marks, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 2 goals) converted two excellent goals on his left foot (Sidebottom is very proficient on his non-preferred foot), put pressure on up forward, took a few marks and won enough of the ball to contribute to the team's ball movement.

Brody Mihocek (14 disposals @ 71%, 148 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 tackles, 3 Tackles Inside 50, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements & 3 goals) made a telling contribution on the scoreboard with majors at the right time and provided a contest and marking target up forward when he was needed to compete aerially.

Beau McCreery (13 disposals @ 85%, 100 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 3 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 2 marks, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) may not have had many kicks, but he put plenty of pressure on and tackled well when it was his turn to do it, while staying involved in scoring chains and bobbed up with a major to keep Collingwood ahead of the game.

Oliver Henry (10 disposals @ 60%, 210 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) struggled for the first three quarters, before bursting to life with 2 match-defining goals in the last quarter, including the sealer that put the result beyond doubt.

Jack Ginnivan (10 disposals @ 60%, 207 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 marks, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements & 2 goals) was lively on occasions and produced two very good goals, including a pearler in the opening quarter from the pocket which could be the goal of the round. Ginnivan could have had 4 goals, but still struck gold in front of the sticks at the right time.

Collingwood's next game will be against Adelaide on March 26 at the MCG. All of a sudden, there is a new level of excitement and anticipation at the Magpies with their new brand of footy that could win a number of games this season. This game is highly winnable for a team of Collingwood's stature as it stands right now, and I believe the Magpies will be better equipped from their opening game by having defenders in the right position to compete and not lose team structures as easily as they did at stages against the Saints. The next part of the equation is to not miss too many simple goals up forward. I felt as though Collingwood left a few goals out there that could've been costly, so correcting that slightly will go a long way to ensuring that a bigger score and margin can be achieved if all of the best-laid plans come to fruition against the Crows.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:53 pm

All this talk about transformation, i reckon the Pies played like this in 2018 pretty much after not doing it in 2017 (avg 88 pts/g), kicking 14 or more goals in 11 and averaging 93 pts a game over regular season games. But then unfortunately went back into their shells in '19 (avg 85 pts/g), '20 (56!)and half of '21 (70). (After Bucks walked - 67).

For coverage (2002 - 95, '03 - 103, '04 - 86, '05 - 85, '06 - 106, '07, 91, '08 - 103, '09 - 98, '10 - 107, '11 - 118, '12 - 96, '13 - 97, '14 - 80, '15 - 89, '16 - 86).

I saw a couple of knock ons to space (in our forward line, mind you we were yelling wtf did you do that for) and cheating at stoppages ala Brisbane Lions threepeaters. Will be interesting if more of that brand becomes our default one. St Kilda by the looks are trying to be Richmond with the chaos footy into their forward line, we got found out a few times because our guys didn't attend quickly to their opponents after a rebound 50, if it was turned over and bounced straight back in they were on their own.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:27 pm

Cam wrote:
All this talk about transformation, i reckon the Pies played like this in 2018 pretty much after not doing it in 2017 (avg 88 pts/g), kicking 14 or more goals in 11 and averaging 93 pts a game over regular season games. But then unfortunately went back into their shells in '19 (avg 85 pts/g), '20 (56!)and half of '21 (70). (After Bucks walked - 67).

For coverage (2002 - 95, '03 - 103, '04 - 86, '05 - 85, '06 - 106, '07, 91, '08 - 103, '09 - 98, '10 - 107, '11 - 118, '12 - 96, '13 - 97, '14 - 80, '15 - 89, '16 - 86).

I saw a couple of knock ons to space (in our forward line, mind you we were yelling wtf did you do that for) and cheating at stoppages ala Brisbane Lions threepeaters. Will be interesting if more of that brand becomes our default one. St Kilda by the looks are trying to be Richmond with the chaos footy into their forward line, we got found out a few times because our guys didn't attend quickly to their opponents after a rebound 50, if it was turned over and bounced straight back in they were on their own.

I’ve crying out for ‘cheating’ ahead of the play and stoppages since I saw Brisbane 01-02-03-04 do it with ease, especially that memorable night live at a dock lands in 2002. Unfortunately Mick (and Bucks) were too stubborn in their methodology. Looks like McRae is a fan though. Helps that he was a forward who knows what forwards like: fast, predictable play from up the ground. Last night many times our players had the confidence to just smack or handball the pill forward. Was refreshing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: