Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Will Smith hits Chris Rock at the Academy Awards

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Standup comedy is just an excuse to be nasty for the most part, yet not all comedians have to sink that low.

It’s a condition that can be caused by anxiety. Saying that the he didn’t know actually makes it worse, what if it was from chemo?

I’m not condoning the hit at all. In this case it was an over reaction, 100%, but it might get people talking, why does the academy awards care have to Be one big roast every year?

it’s like a lot of things, something happens, people over react, or was it just the last straw? The little things add up and bang,you explode.

Google chemo hair loss and check out the many videos of Women with their face in anguish as their hair is shaved off, it’s called a crowning glory. No one has a right to tell any one else how to deal with this sort of thing.

For me it’s not about the slap, it’s about the crap that is said as an excuse for humour, when really it’s just a personal jab. Thereis always truth behind those ‘funny’ remarks. My dad smacked me around a bit, but the thing I will never ever get over were times like the day we were listening to the radio and nice legs Shane about the face came on. He looked at me and said ‘I bet they sing it the other way about you’ and then he laughed. I have struggled with eating disorders and body image shit pretty much since about the age of 14-15. And I can still hear that line in his voice. I got 37.5 out of 38 in year 11 on an advanced maths test 1/2 the class failed, and he wanted to know what happened to the other 1/2 a mark. Words have left far greater scars in my life than any physical abuse did.

Why be mean when you can be kind?

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:51 pm

David wrote:
Spanish filmmaker Pedro Almodóvar (who was sitting near the stage at the time, quite close to the Smith table) on the Will Smith / Chris Rock incident:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/pedro-almodovar-oscars-2022-zendaya-will-smith-1234712971/

Quote:
I have deliberately avoided the violent episode that is the only thing talked about the next day. I was barely four meters from where it happened. In the general overhead shots, I am the little white head you see in the photo.

I refuse to let that episode mark the gala and be the protagonist of a ceremony where many more things happened and of much greater interest. For example, “Drive My Car,” without a doubt my favorite film of the year, won Best International Feature Film. And also “Summer of Soul,” my favorite documentary.

Still, as I said, I was very close to the protagonists. What I saw and heard produced a feeling of absolute rejection in me. Not only during the episode, but afterward, too, in the acceptance speech — a speech that seemed more like that of a cult leader. You don’t defend or protect the family with your fists, and no, the devil doesn’t take advantage of key moments to do his work.

The devil, in fact, doesn’t exist. This was a fundamentalist speech that we should neither hear nor see. Some claim that it was the only real moment in the ceremony, but they are talking about the faceless monster that is the social media. For them, avid for carrion, it undoubtedly was the great event of the night.

Good response. Jim Carrey weighed in with some stern words about Smith and Hollywood
https://youtu.be/Cd9qrDtXq0E
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:50 pm

I am surprised that some people are condoning Will Smith’s actions.It was an act of violence,pure and simple,and that sort of behaviour should not be tolerated in any shape or form.

I didn’t think much of his apology/acceptance speech either,where he invoked God and the Devil,and seemed to blame anyone but himself for his actions.He seemed to be suffering from some sort of male saviour complex,whern he said it was his job to protect everyone around him.He even said he had to protect his costar in the movie,King Richard,who is a fully grown woman and clearly didn’t need his protection.I don’t think she was too impressed by his statement either.

Those sort of opinions just seem to infantilise women,and perpetuate the myth that women are just helpless victims who need to be rescued by ‘’strong’ men..
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:08 am

If you mean me I don’t condone it, I just wish it would get people talking about people, not just comedians, using humour as a cover for personal insults.

As for the dark ages comment, I don’t need anyone to defend me, I’m pretty good at that myself, but I also choose to sometimes defend others if I think it’s needed, and people who cop ignorant comments for something they can’t control can feel isolated. So yeah I defend them. What ever sex they may identify as.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:42 am

think positive wrote:
The moment of the night was lady Gaga, I’m not a fan but her and Liza Minnelli is what should be remembered,

I don’t understand all the adulation over that on social media – I watched the clip and all that happened was Minnelli stumbled over her lines and Lady Gaga prompted her!? Utterly bewildering.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:15 pm

think positive wrote:
If you mean me I don’t condone it, I just wish it would get people talking about people, not just comedians, using humour as a cover for personal insults.

As for the dark ages comment, I don’t need anyone to defend me, I’m pretty good at that myself, but I also choose to sometimes defend others if I think it’s needed, and people who cop ignorant comments for something they can’t control can feel isolated. So yeah I defend them. What ever sex they may identify as.

Hi Think Positive.No,I wasn’t referring to you when I mentioned people condoning Will Smith’s actions,I was referring to other people on the internet who have done so.I remember you saying that you didn’t condone his actions at all,so I wasn’t referring to you at all

As for the comments about comedians using humour to put people down,I fully understand that as well.Unfortunately it’s what comedians have been doing since the dawn of time,and I can’t see that ever changing,unfortunately.They seem to think that putting people down will get them a cheap and easy laugh,and it usually works.

Regarding Chris Rock”s joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s hair,it was tasteless.But I still don’t think it justified Will Smith going up on stage and belting him in the mouth.It was just appalling,and it ruined the rest of the night for everyone,including the other oscar winners,whose moment of glory was completely overshadowed by this incident.

From what I understand,Chris Rock didn’t even know that Jada Pinkett Smith was suffering from alopecia anyway.Perhaps he thought her shaved head was just a fashion statement,and he wanted to make fun of her?Anyway,it was just an unpleasant moment all around.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:51 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
think positive wrote:

Hi Think Positive.No,I wasn’t referring to you when I mentioned people condoning Will Smith’s actions,I was referring to other people on the internet who have done so.I remember you saying that you didn’t condone his actions at all,so I wasn’t referring to you at all

As for the comments about comedians using humour to put people down,I fully understand that as well.Unfortunately it’s what comedians have been doing since the dawn of time,and I can’t see that ever changing,unfortunately.They seem to think that putting people down will get them a cheap and easy laugh,and it usually works.

Regarding Chris Rock”s joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s hair,it was tasteless.But I still don’t think it justified Will Smith going up on stage and belting him in the mouth.It was just appalling,and it ruined the rest of the night for everyone,including the other oscar winners,whose moment of glory was completely overshadowed by this incident.

From what I understand,Chris Rock didn’t even know that Jada Pinkett Smith was suffering from alopecia anyway.Perhaps he thought her shaved head was just a fashion statement,and he wanted to make fun of her?Anyway,it was just an unpleasant moment all around.

no worries i agree with all of that.

the last bit is my whole point actually, for me it makes it worse he didnt know, she could have lost her hair to chemo or something, i just think its time to call it on the personal shit. yes its always been that way, maybe its time to grow up.

i do agree about ruining it for others, totally. thats why i hate the jokes. i actually dont watch any more, not since back in the Billy Crstal days, for a start i dont recognise many of the actors!! dramas etc win a lot, and its not my type of movie. not very often anyway!

David the Lady Gaga bit, Liza id obviously in decline, she was a superstar with a magnificent voice and one hell of a pedigree. I just thought it was awesome that a star like Lady Gaga (im not a fan i could not name one song by the way) not only took her out there, but She was so genuine in the way she was so caring. I watched because they had a lot of flash backs, i didnt intend to keep watching, but there was nothing else on, i was too tired to get off the couch and edit, and i was playing games on my ipad, so i wanst paying full attention to a lot of it.

id like to see less cheap humour comedians, more class, more icons, (ive never watched the Godfather in full, i keep falling asleep) Al Pacino and De Niro strtch through time, drama, comedy, dark action, bloody awesome actors, it was a shock to see them so frail, but at the same time it was nice to see them alive, and not have the hero moment after they are gone. Instad of a roast, bring back glamour, class, and the celebration of the artists, the people behind the scenes, but it wont happen! shock value sells more. I wont watch again. Until the celebrate Bruce i guess, dead or alive.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:53 pm

First thoughts were good on him. But after a few days I think Will would be wishing he had those moments back.

The part that is questionable is that nothing will be done. It is assault after all and well there is clear footage.

Here's the other thoughts that crossed my mind:
What if this happened at the Source awards in the mid90s?
What if a white actor slapped a black actor or vice versa?
What if it was Jordan De Goey on Brownlow night? Laughing

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:58 pm

^Fev?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:24 pm

Presti35 wrote:
First thoughts were good on him. But after a few days I think Will would be wishing he had those moments back.

The part that is questionable is that nothing will be done. It is assault after all and well there is clear footage.

Here's the other thoughts that crossed my mind:
What if this happened at the Source awards in the mid90s?
What if a white actor slapped a black actor or vice versa?
What if it was Jordan De Goey on Brownlow night? Laughing

Violence is never acceptable, imagine the (justifiable) melt down if a white male actor had done that to a black female comedian.

The audience at the Oscars has to be the single largest collection of self entitled egotistical twats assembled in a single place at any one time, pricking some of their egos is expected of the hosts.

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:09 pm

On the news tonight they showed someone's phone footage of Jada Smith appearing to laugh after the incident. So much for reports about her giving him "the look" when he returned to his seat.

But never mind, the Academy might suspend him from attending next year's ceremony.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:30 pm

#26 wrote:
On the news tonight they showed someone's phone footage of Jada Smith appearing to laugh after the incident. So much for reports about her giving him "the look" when he returned to his seat.

But never mind, the Academy might suspend him from attending next year's ceremony.

Jada's a piece of work. Watching her gaslight her husband a few years back when she was having an affair was astounding.

Chris Rock has come out of this with a lot of dignity and class.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:21 pm

- and lots of money, people paying crazy prices to go to his shows!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:23 pm

think positive wrote:
- and lots of money, people paying crazy prices to go to his shows!

Yep.

I remember spotting him at LAX airport several years ago when I was travelling to the states.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:08 am

Dp

Last edited by think positive on Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: