Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Cats pip Pies All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

schuey07 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Move checkers back to add assistance to Moore Howe who were being over run
Load the forward line with all our smalls who could have pressed up high then turned and run back at speed

These were the type of moves I was hoping for, but nothing happened.
I guess I may have unfairly expected something from a coaching panel that includes two previous senior coaches. Best to have zilch expectations at this stage I guess.

Yea and have no tall targets up forward, where we already struggle. Glad you two weren’t in the box. I mean we can write a coach off after his third game in charge, I’d give him more time seeing we gave the previous one 10 years and a premiership winning team to start his tenure.

Mate you missed my point I was talking about trying to stem the momentum for a 5 minute period and throw something different at them to try and adjust too
I’m not righting off the coach at far from it
But starting term 4 with Adams and Elliott both on the bench wasn’t smart especially after 3 minutes when Sidey ended up there with cramps as well
The first 5-10 of the last term was going to be vital we needed all experience and size on the ground
That’s all I was saying
I honestly didn’t expect to win prior to the game
Wet field up against so much tall timber and experienced bigger bodies was always a tough ask
We did great IMO and we have loads of room for improvement the cats don’t
E 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:41 am

We were magnificent tonight. No two ways about it.

The kids were terrific in parts (as you'd expect, not a four quarter performance among any of them).

The senior players like Adams, DeGoey and Grundy were very very good!!

Noble was very much a best 22 caliber player.

i thought we were physically and emotionally spent by 3/4 time and some dodgy free kicks allowed Geelong to gain some serious momentum early in the last.

Our style of play also get exposed badly when folks run out of gas because we get killed on the overlap (it was the same in 2010 when we applied manic forward pressure - the opposition scored nearly all their goals on the overlap in a breakdown). As it turned out, we got killed on the overlap a few times in the last quarter ...

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:51 am

duke750 wrote:
Totally agree that this is going to be an exciting time for Collingwood supporters, with some letdowns.

Haven’t felt this way for a long time, since 2010-2011.

I was gonna say 2007-2008...really hurts to lose, but, to quote the great Heater..."Stick with us fellas, this teams going places!"

Far out though, the lose really stings....it beats the feeling of meh from last year.

What did the kid say to Duckwood? The radio reckoned Hawkins went over to our huddle at 3QT and had a word?
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:35 am

#26 wrote:
Young players getting tired doesn't explain why we got slaughtered for clearances out of the middle in the last quarter. Plenty of senior players went missing too.

I thought Adams had a poor last quarter, needed him to stand up but he lost several critical contests and gave away that soft free kick
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:51 am

Cam wrote:
Rather have our team than Geelongs. They are getting wins today and sacrificing the chance at higher things later on in the season. Their old guys haven't got enough in them to face a fresh faced unit and survive deep into the finals. We are coming, like a tidal wave.

Agreed. Over Scott's coaching career, he has fielded a team that wins lots of home and away games but not many finals. Apart from inheriting Thompson's team and going 3-0 in his first finals series, his finals record is pathetic. They've won only 7 and lost 15 from 2012. It is informative that the only year his ageing hacks have won more than one final was in 2020, when the season was shortened and game length was reduced by 25%.

It does strike me as an unusual problem that over the ten seasons from 2012 to 2021 his team has lost just 62 home and away games - but 15 finals. I'm not sure how that stacks up in historical comparison but it's not good. A quick check, though, shows that Hardwick lost three finals trying to build a competitive team but has won 10 and lost 2 since then. Thus, over his career, Hardwick's Richmond has lost 112 home and away games (his win percentage in the home and away is only 56%) but lost only 5 finals.
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:05 am

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
#26 wrote:
Young players getting tired doesn't explain why we got slaughtered for clearances out of the middle in the last quarter. Plenty of senior players went missing too.

I thought Adams had a poor last quarter, needed him to stand up but he lost several critical contests and gave away that soft free kick

"Nutted at the clearances" 😔
DT 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:37 am

I’m very positive about the match. Far exceeded my expectations. I can see a very good year ahead. The coaching is very good and it will be a fun year. Good debut for McInnes - I was very hopeful when we drafted him.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:50 am

As disappointing as the loss was, and the new day doesn't make it any better.

But, thank gawd this didn't happen in a GF.......again

Last edited by What'sinaname on Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:54 am

Like others I am taking positives. Especially the young guys Daics, Mcinnes, Henry, Ginnivan.
Didn't like the "accidental tunneling" of pendles. He was sore and his kicking was off after this. (Duty of care, Potential to cause injury ???)
Loved the nine goal quarter.
The coach has talked about more guys in the VFL to have a game soon and this is essential as we work out our future. Hoskin-Elliot is one who might be replaced with a young guy who needs games.
Goal Kicking. Last week Kreuger went with the traditional drop punt on the angle and goaled. This week we had many players doing a side on kick from any angle that didn't work. Lets get this right please.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:07 am

That was an utter disgrace to give up that lead. It happens every time we get to 5 goals in front and just shut off completely and just let the opposition back into the game- it has nothing to do with having a young side, been happening for years. As has poor kicking for goal and getting killed at centre bounces when the pressure is on. We have also had years of not having a key forward to kick to. SSDD
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:15 am

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:
That was an utter disgrace to give up that lead. It happens every time we get to 5 goals in front and just shut off completely and just let the opposition back into the game- it has nothing to do with having a young side, been happening for years. As has poor kicking for goal and getting killed at centre bounces when the pressure is on. We have also had years of not having a key forward to kick to. SSDD

It's not just us though. I too am critical of what appears to be a lack of leadership to not slow the game down to try and stop the momentum of the opposition.

But you can say the same for the Cats. Where were their leaders when we piled on the goals in the 3rd? Where was Melbourne's leaders when Essendon piled on 6 goals to get out to a 12 point lead? Where was Essendon's leadership when Melbourne piled on 6 of the last 7 goals?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:17 am

We desperately need a key big forward and when Lynch (to Tigers) & Cameron (to Cats) we weren’t in the position to snap one up

Cameron last night showed the value of a big strong forward

We got goals sure but we had to mostly get ground ball scores

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:45 am

There’s two knock on effects that always come with a nine goal third quarter. The team that’s just kicked nine isn’t going to do anything different to start the last and team that just had nine against them is going to try something very different in response. We effectively forced the Cats to go direct and move the ball quickly and we simply had no answer to it. The Cats would have reset their centre bounce strategies and we were slow to react. Our defence lost its shape and we couldn’t get the numbers back on Cameron and Hawkins. I have no doubt the coaching group learnt a bit last night too. Our plan A stacks up but we have a shit load of work to do when it comes to plan B and when we need to pull the trigger on it.
Also, McRae is slowly learning about players you can trust when we’re behind on the scoreboard versus the downhill skiers when we’re miles in front and coasting. We have some ( young ) depth, so that will evolve as the year rolls on. In amongst all the rubble of that loss, there is a lot to be gained for the benefit of our end game.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:52 am

E wrote:
We were magnificent tonight. No two ways about it.

The kids were terrific in parts (as you'd expect, not a four quarter performance among any of them).

The senior players like Adams, DeGoey and Grundy were very very good!!

Noble was very much a best 22 caliber player.

i thought we were physically and emotionally spent by 3/4 time and some dodgy free kicks allowed Geelong to gain some serious momentum early in the last.

Our style of play also get exposed badly when folks run out of gas because we get killed on the overlap (it was the same in 2010 when we applied manic forward pressure - the opposition scored nearly all their goals on the overlap in a breakdown). As it turned out, we got killed on the overlap a few times in the last quarter ...

Totally agree,

And if only De Goey had converted a couple of those points to goals!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:57 am

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:

Bang on. Need to resolve the poor kicking and giving up a big lead problem first and foremost. Matching the opposition when they inevitably lift is a priority. Increase pressure on the ball carrier. Kicking straight will depend on “practice makes perfect” mantra. I think all of the above are achievable. It will take time to make it happen instinctively.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13   

Jump to: