Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brett Lee The Game Winner

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:58 pm
Post subject: Brett Lee The Game WinnerReply with quote

All you knockers of Brett Lee come forward now and be counted. He was nothing short of spectacular tonight. He came on in his last spell determined to make it as hard as possible for the Poms to win that 2nd Final.
He did that by bowling the best I have ever seen him bowl. He was tight, aggressive and in return he picked up vital wickets at the death.
Australia with McGrath and Gillespie out put a big ? mark over the bowling attack. We really needed someone to stand up and meet the challeng. Lee and Williams did that and proved to the Australian public that we have some excellent Cricketers in Australia.

I am proud. WELL DONE BRETT LEE!!!!!!!!!!!

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that Brett Lee has started pitching the ball up and is bowling a lot smarter. He has dumped the intimidatory bowling attacks of bouncers etc and now intimidates the batsman through genuine quality pace bowling.

He has the best credentials in the Australian line up to become a fully fledged all rounder. Batting wise his weakness is facing spin bowling but against pace bowling he can handle himself.

Gilesspie, Lee, McGrath, Warne and now Harvey completes a very good bowling line up.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:45 pm

Said it all, Phanto.

JLC, Lee has been asked/directed, by Waugh and Buchanan to play a role in the last couple of seasons. That was in support of McGrath and Gillespie. He was the enforcer, the unsettler if you like. Waugh clearly stated he had asked that of the young speedster.

Lately, he's been asked to step up into the frontline, in McGrath and Gillespie's absence, and show his pure, if raw, talent. He still gets wickets with bouncers, m8. Ask Trescothick, Knight and Irani (first final)!

I doubt he'll ever be 'a fully fledged all-rounder' but who cares, if he can bowl the way he does! Sure, he's got a good eye and can swing the bat and is handy at 8 or 9 but a Pollock, Hogg or Cairns? I don't think so.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 26 January 2003).]
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:04 pm

The most awesome thing during that last spell of Lee's....while he was running in to start his second last over i turned to BWPhantom and said "watch this, yorker.....middle stump" and what do ya know.....perfect!!!!! took middle, i could not believe it...what an awesome match, was good to see the poms do so well too, Cricket worldwide is always better when teams like England, West INdies and Australia are fielding competitive sides

Well Done Aussies!!

Cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:25 am

You mention Hogg in the same sentence as Cairns and Pollock.....lol

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:03 am

Yes well done Brett you are a champ! Keep up the good work! I hope people stop criticising him now!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:16 am

Thought you might pick up one that one, JLC. Lol. I specifically mentioned Hogg because yesterday's match will be fresh in people's minds and it's a good way to demonstrate my point.

It's this simple. Hogg played an innings - an excellent innings and exactly what was needed for his team. He was careful early, with good defence, then hit out with good stokes and placement. His last 50 came at better than run a ball.

On the other hand, Lee was having a hit. And he hits a beautiful six, m8, no argument there and this will win the odd game but Brett is a top bowler who can 'bat a bit', as they say.

Donny.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:21 am

Lee has started swinging the ball again, which is why he hasnt been getting the pastings he has copped in previous seasons....90mph and straight can be hit, once it gets a bit of curve, its a different ball game. Great performance by Lee in both finals...good to see he is back on track. Hopefully it will continue on to the World Cup.

As far as his batting goes, he has a great eye but struggles if there is any sideways movement, imo.

Hanskies Virgo

~~DUNN~~

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:30 am

Just like to say that to people in the "Brett Lee" post who bagged the crap outta him- can't tell me he's not on the improve- Man of the series- thank you very much- and you can't tell me he didn't win the match for us on Saturday night
BRETT IS A CHAMPION

-Han

*I Love Jason, Yes I do, I Love Clokey and so Should You*
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:49 pm

yeah u think he's a good bowler now do u???? yeah sure if your bowling fast to shit trucks like englands batting line up and srilanka's except for sanath! then what do u expect! yeah sure he bowled well and deserved the man of the series but u put him against a quality batting line up and he'll crumble like Lloyd kicking after the siren to beat bulldogs. u wait and see when he bowls to a classy batting line up[ like india's top order or south afria or the great brian lara! they will put him back to where he came from permanetly! THE PURA CUP!!

footy ROX!
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:05 pm

I am ignoring your comments couragous cloke you are being too harsh and you know it! GO BRETT!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Hanskies Virgo

~~DUNN~~

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:31 am

What did I say
"ON THE IMPROVE"- pfft, some people only read what they want to!!!

-Han

*I Love Jason, Yes I do, I Love Clokey and so Should You*
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:34 am

You are right there Assasin. Lee will be a big name in years to come. In fact I can remember when McGrath came on the scene. Boy oh boy were there some knockers around then. Stuff said like, To Gangly, not quick enough, does not move the ball much, innaccurate, I remember people saying similar things about Warney as well.
All I can say is that they are all eating their words as you will courageous cloke.
Lee is only 23 and he can only learn more and get better.

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:10 pm

Whilst watching Inside Cricket tonight, Hookesy mentioned that Brad Hogg had carved them (the Vics) in an ING Cup game, earlier in the season, and had hit 5 sixes in 7 balls!!!

Maybe he's really a batting all-rounder, JLC. Lol.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:13 am

As Hoggy came in to replace Warney, he's thought of as a bowler but some of his batting stats make interesting reading.

George Bradley Hogg has 2 centuries and 15 fifties at first class level and this season averages 56.25 in the Pura Cup.

That puts him 4th. (minimum 3 games) and ahead of such playes as Martin Love, Mark Waugh, Michael Clarke, Jason Arnberger, Matthew Elliott, Murray Goodwin, Michael Slater, Simon Katich, Andrew Symonds and Ryan Campbell.

Donny.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: