Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Lions. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Beanie wrote:
BazBoy wrote:
Conversation with Fly is what is plain and simple to understand

With NB the use of a CIA code book required

Really? I didn't have any problem understanding Buckleys press conferences.

Me neither.

I notice McFly's favourite phrase at the moment is "we're a work in progress". It's a very descriptive one - explains it all - but it will have a use by date eventually. wink:
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:35 pm

It is what it is. Wink
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:37 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
BazBoy wrote:
Conversation with Fly is what is plain and simple to understand

With NB the use of a CIA code book required

Really? I didn't have any problem understanding Buckleys press conferences.

Nor me. One thing that Buckley did very well was speaking. Maybe the problems with understanding him lie with those who have trouble comprehending the language being spoken 🤓 It is what it is indeed 😌

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:29 pm

Bucks was forever checking himself to ensure he pleased everyone because his primary concern was to be liked and well thought of, which runs against the single-mindedness and ferocity needed in that role. Self-consciousness is a very different thing to diplomacy or politeness, though on the surface they can look much the same.

Like his former coach, McRae won't apologise or explain to anyone. This bodes well.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:49 pm

So FWIW, who are the current AFL coaches whose primary concerns are not to be liked and well thought of?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:50 pm

Lazza wrote:
So FWIW, who are the current AFL coaches whose primary concerns are not to be liked and well thought of?

Surely, all.
Their primary concern would always be to improve the performance of their team.
How best to achieve that? Well perhaps, to be liked and well thought of....though not necessarily (maybe)...consider both Simon Goodwin and Damian Hardwick...they have both perhaps acted in a manner which might not ensure that they were well thought of and/or well liked.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:23 pm

Lazza wrote:

It's hardly rocket science Confused If you worry about what others think of you, you'll curtail your actions to that end. Majoring in pleasing people to elicit their affirmation is obviously untenable when your goal is to win under conditions of fierce competition. (If you think winning doesn't involve stepping on toes, you're inhabiting the wrong planet).

That doesn't mean coaches have to be deranged psychopaths (like so many 'winners' in business and politics), but a certain level of single-mindedness is clearly required.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:48 am

LaurieHolden wrote:
I suspect Fly has seen near on enough to know who he will be able to work with.
The end will come quickly for some.

While our personnel will look different by mid year, it won't be an easy transition, so I hope we get behind Fly in the interim.

Can't really take too much from that match, there was some pretty uninspiring football skill execution.
When an ageing legend is near on your best player, and full plaudits to him, who else is stepping up? A first year player is about all that we have to build our hopes around.

At present, I count 5 players whom I believe would start in any 22 in the comp. And only 3 in an AA Under 22 side. We need three more drafts to get close to acquiring the personnel required for a legitimate final 8 push.

Operation get Tarranto.

You mentioned skill execution. Taranto's not your man
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:27 am

Magpiefan3 wrote:
SteveH67 wrote:
Gee the loss last week looks even worse now

Swans flogging Eagles in Perth

Yep that's what I was gonna say.

We made West Coast look good last week!

Not wrong.

For some reason, Collingwood makes Leon Cameron and Adam Simpson look like legendary coaches when we play them in Finals. Never have rated these guys as Coaches given the players they have but only Collingwood can make them look good.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:06 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Lazza wrote:

It's hardly rocket science Confused If you worry about what others think of you, you'll curtail your actions to that end. Majoring in pleasing people to elicit their affirmation is obviously untenable when your goal is to win under conditions of fierce competition. (If you think winning doesn't involve stepping on toes, you're inhabiting the wrong planet).

That doesn't mean coaches have to be deranged psychopaths (like so many 'winners' in business and politics), but a certain level of single-mindedness is clearly required.

Get that. However if you are not even subconsciously wanting to please the committee of management and reaffirm them appointing you as the coach, I would find that extremely surprising. It’s more human nature than anything else. Anyway agree to disagree and move on.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:29 pm

where would we have been without our best player....... DeGoey is amazing. shame on everyone!!!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:53 pm

E wrote:
where would we have been without our best player....... DeGoey is amazing. shame on everyone!!!

Yep E .... he may find it difficult to sustain impact across four quarters, but to my mind, he's the only real star and possible match winner we have at the moment. That last goal of his was simply astonishing, especially under the circumstances - the final minutes of an exhausting game to get within striking distance of the lead.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:02 pm

Yep and so many wanted him gone based on a false accusation on the other side of the world…
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:17 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Bucks was forever checking himself to ensure he pleased everyone because his primary concern was to be liked and well thought of, which runs against the single-mindedness and ferocity needed in that role. Self-consciousness is a very different thing to diplomacy or politeness, though on the surface they can look much the same.

Have to disagree with this. I believe Bucks is known throughout the professional footy community as a fiercely competitive, driven but fair person, with considerable self-belief. To see him as being self-conscious and a people pleaser seems to me that you have not observed him in enough different scenarios, nor know enough about him as a person. That whole notion just makes me 😃 Certainly using his self controlled and measured persona in press conferences as a lack of "single mindedness and ferocity" is an incredibly long bow in my book.
Rolling Eyes
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:55 pm

pietillidie wrote:

Like his former coach, McRae won't apologise or explain to anyone. This bodes well.

Really? That's not the impression with Buckley I got. I thought he could be very tough with certain players when he wanted to be. In fact several players like Seedsman and Stephenson finished up at other clubs because of Buckley. If anything I think McRae is the soft one. Go to training it's a bit like good cop, bad cop, with Bolton and Leppa doing the tough talk and McRae staying away from the action. Buckley tended to be more hands on with the players at training whereas McRae leaves a lot of it to his assistants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13   

Jump to: