Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dizzy - Under Rated ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:49 am
Post subject: Dizzy - Under Rated ?Reply with quote

JLC, I'm happy to debate you anytime, about any cricket matter, but let's do it in an appropriate topic.

You wrote, "Dizzy is the most under rated bowler in world cricket."

I replied, "Just who underestimates Gillespie, JLC ? I think you'll find the top batsmen of the world rate him highly."

You came back with, "Donny, you're missing the point..." and
"Just for the record, I don't underestimate Gilesspie."

Jason Gillespie has been consistently rated between 5th. and 9th. (atm) in the world Test ratings since 1999 and a high of 4th. and 7th. (atm) since 2000 in ODIs.

So, I repeat. Who under rates Dizzy ? Your first statement clearly indicates you do. If it doesn't, as you later contend, on who's behalf did you write it ?

Donny.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN !!!!
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what JLC is trying to say is that Dizzy doesn't make all the headlines in the papers whereas players like McGrath and Warne do. So he is possibly under rated by the media. I do agree with you though Donny I think that Dizzy is regarded very highly by top batsman and I for one think he is a sensational player! I think the fact the he doesn't make as many headlines isn't bad, in fact it's a good thing, the less pressure the better! This guy is a true character and a damn great bowler! GO DIZZY YOU ARE A CHAMP MATE!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:26 pm

Exactly right Nicki. When it comes to the headlines the majority of the time it focuses on Shane Warne and McGrath. Recently its cenetered on Brett Lee and his pace. Gilesspie doesnt seem to get the headlines of the plaudits that he deserves. If he played for another country he would have a much higher profile and probably get more recognition.

You could apply the same argument to Licuria from Collingwood. I think he is very underrated as a player in general. HOWEVER that does not mean that i underestimate him PERSONALLY. It means that at Collingwood Buckley and Rocca and Fraser and those players get more plaudits than Licuria. Licuria really only started getting recgonised by the football public in general towards the end of last year.

jlc

Symonds picked on potential for the fifth year running ;)

Skill is successfully walking a tightrope over Niagara Falls. Intelligence is not trying.

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:34 pm

These two posts were submitted in the WC topic after this one came into being so I transferred them.

posted 16 February 2003 17:20
----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah you never give your opinion Donny....lol lol Its easy to bag my opinion but offer one up of your own
jlc

Symonds picked on potential for the fifth year running

Skill is successfully walking a tightrope over Niagara Falls. Intelligence is not trying.

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues

posted 16 February 2003 17:21
----------------------------------------------------------------
Its isnt a contraditcion in temrs if you bother to take it in the context in which it was said. But when all you do is cut and paste well then its easy to make things appear how you like.

JLC

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:45 pm

Any chance of you addressing my question, JLC? It's in the last line of the first post in this topic.

After all that's all I asked you in the first place. No dramas.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:59 pm

Well he doesnt seem to get much media coverage when compared to Warne and McGrath. Maybe its Warnes character that endures him to more publicity? McGraths ability and temper seems to get him a lot of coverage. Lees speed and bowling action also get him a lot of coverage.

I just dont hear as much spoken of Gillespie he is the quiet achiever in my opinion.

Im open to suggestion of who others think is the most underated bowler in the world.

Pollock gets plenty of kudos and is in the spot light partly because he is captain.

Murali gets plenty of recognition as a spin bowler.

Warne and McGrath i have already mentioned.

Maybe Srinath is underated or Ntini ??

jlc

Symonds picked on potential for the fifth year running ;)

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:18 pm

These days, with of a mountain of facts and figures always being analysed, scrutinised, dissected, compared etc. etc., it's less likely that anyone gets under rated.

However, the media demands personalities so the Warnes and Bothams will sometimes feature disproportionately to their cricketing ability.

I can see now what you meant. Thanks for the answer.

Must there be a most under rated bowler?

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 16 February 2003).]
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:19 pm

I understand what you are saying JLC and I do agree with you that Dizzy doesn't get as many headlines as he probably deserves. However, like I said it isn't a bad thing not to get the headlines in fact I'm sure he prefers to be out of the papers so he can just be himself without the pressure! We all know how wonderful he is and that's all the matters!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:47 am

during an interview after the India match....it is very apparant that Dizzy lacks personality....basically he is extremely boring....which does not sell papers...

he is a great bowler and has been very unlucky over the years....if he can stay injury free he will become one of the greats....

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:51 am

I really find that hard to believe that he lacks personality! From what I have seen he seems like an extremely funny guy! Just because he doesn't have what it takes to sell papers doesn't mean he lacks personality, half the crap they say in the papers is not true anyway so who cares!

Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:24 pm

Papers are full of crap...but they wont get anything on Dizzy....there is nothing wrong with not being Mr personality....its just the way he is....he just goes about his job and gets it done....

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: