Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Suns. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you mention it, interesting that our two leading goalkickers so far this year (both averaging 2–3 goals a game) are rookie upgrades. And god knows we missed them against Brisbane.

The only former rookie-listed player who's kicked as many goals as Mihocek so far this season is Levi Casboult – both have 16 in total.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 pm

We should have got Causbolt as well^.We could have got him very cheaply and he would have been the perfect foil for Mihocek as well.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:08 pm

Could you imagine the flack the poor bloke would cop for his kicking?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:46 pm

^

Match day thread would go into meltdown, but his contested marking would have been very useful. He's no worse at kicking for goal than De Goey.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:49 pm

Watching the replay, what a pleasure it is to see 5 players out there as father sons, just a great demonstration of the Club as an entity, couldn't be happier.

I thought the Browns did OK, not our best no doubt, but played their roles....the Daicos brothers are/will be something else, what a treat!

Magden...if he cleaned up his dumb moments, he is basically a fairly quick, tall, mobile defender with quite a bit of grunt...plenty of clubs are in need of those, so lets not be too hasty with the criticism.

Thought Sidey played better this week

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:38 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Sidebottom's set-up play from wing/halfback was a coaching masterstroke: essentially, they structured to use Sidey as an extra defender as an escape valve to manage the inevitable thrashing at centre bounces. His man couldn't run hard enough to keep with him, so there was plenty of clean ball coming off halfback. By the time Dew worked it out, the game was over.

Sidey has been playing that role all year so don’t think much changed against the Suns
What I did think was different was he played really wide all day instead of more central corridor
His width provided countless opportunities for teammates to stretch the Suns out further than they wanted to play similar to what hawks did to Langdon
I think fly is really just starting to learn more about players in game situations
Each week we seem (in my eyes anyways) to be more consistent in our game style
Also I think the use of Lipinski as a run with role is really important
He’s not a natural ball magnet like some others but getting him taken to the ball is working a treat
His game is developing good in my eyes
If we can get the ball into the hands of our best kicks more I think it will be only improve what we are doing now
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:01 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Could you imagine the flack the poor bloke would cop for his kicking?

If you still can't kick straight at goal after personal tuition from Sav Rocca, then you deserved to get torched.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:03 am

doriswilgus wrote:
We should have got Causbolt as well^.We could have got him very cheaply and he would have been the perfect foil for Mihocek as well.

No, turn it up, he cant kick over a jam tin. Laughing Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:22 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Match day thread would go into meltdown, but his contested marking would have been very useful. He's no worse at kicking for goal than De Goey.

I would have agreed with this in years gone by. GeDoey seems to have corrected the problem this year. The shank seems to be gone and he has kicked a few beauties from the set shot (his achilles heal).

there is a problem in forming a view on someone and then not adapting as they resolve those problems.

Its why people still think Adams and Noble are terrible kicks.

Would you believe there was a time we thought Maynards kicking was terrible, now its considered elite (although interestingly, he is turining the ball over by foot at an alarmingly high rate this year - missing targets so badly it looks like he is passing to the opposition).

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:24 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Sidebottom's set-up play from wing/halfback was a coaching masterstroke: essentially, they structured to use Sidey as an extra defender as an escape valve to manage the inevitable thrashing at centre bounces. His man couldn't run hard enough to keep with him, so there was plenty of clean ball coming off halfback. By the time Dew worked it out, the game was over.

Sidey has been playing that role all year so don’t think much changed against the Suns
What I did think was different was he played really wide all day instead of more central corridor
His width provided countless opportunities for teammates to stretch the Suns out further than they wanted to play similar to what hawks did to Langdon
I think fly is really just starting to learn more about players in game situations
Each week we seem (in my eyes anyways) to be more consistent in our game style
Also I think the use of Lipinski as a run with role is really important
He’s not a natural ball magnet like some others but getting him taken to the ball is working a treat
His game is developing good in my eyes
If we can get the ball into the hands of our best kicks more I think it will be only improve what we are doing now

but what is the point of helping your team get clearances out of half back by running hard and then helping to turn those into scores at the other end if you only get THREE CONTESTED POSSESSIONS.

others will have to keep track of whether that means its make or break for Sidebottom this year......

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:27 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Good effort today
Today proved one thing many have been saying for some time
Hit outs is the most useless stat in the game
We lost them 50-17 but onky lost clearances 33-36
So even hit outs to advantage aren’t worth anything when pressure comes from your midfielders who are expecting not to win the clearance
A ruckman on $250k is just as effective as one on $1m
That $750k could be spent on a power forward or elite midfielder
Next week we can’t give Richmond the freedom to move the ball like we did to the Suns today they won’t waste the opportunities
Defence needs to go back to man on man and stay within 5m of them not giving them 10/20m room
4-3 is a good start let’s hope we continue to improve

Really significant points made here, I reckon.

Nothing can now change the total waste of salary cap allocated to the ruck position going into season 2020 (I am still fuming that Geoff Walsh has never had to answer for his role in orchestrating that huge mistake Evil or Very Mad) It put the acquisition of some further tall forward power back years. Crying or Very sad

In the meantime, my favourite player Checkers does a superb job of shouldering that tall forward load mostly on his own! Fantastic to see him named player of the week on the CFC website. His is such a wonderful footy story, all the way from selection 22 in the rookie draft of 2018.

This couldn't be more wrong. We got slaughtered out of the middle today and a better team would have annihilated us. Melbourne would have scored 35 goals against us from that dominance. The fact that we still won had nothinging to do with the value or otherwise of the ruck, but the poor forward entry and great defence work from the pies.

We desperately needed Grundy out there today. especially since DeGoey was ineffective after his battle with illness this week.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:27 pm

7 goal first quarter

10 individual goal kickers

2/4 quarters won XX

100+ points

Winning without Grundy

No injuries during the game ? Depends on scan results on Maynards hand, but he played out the game and we didnt use the sub.

Overall a hard fought out win. Agree with many others that the commentary focuses on the wrong things; such as questioning every Collingwood free and getting excited for a Suns upset.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:47 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Agree with many others that the commentary focuses on the wrong things; such as questioning every Collingwood free and getting excited for a Suns upset.

This stuff has gone on for years and will continue to do so. I don’t respect the anti Collingwood commentators enough to take them seriously. They are a bunch of clowns. A pack of demented monkeys parading as footy media.

The only way to have a team of commentators that are not anti Collingwood is to have Collingwood supporting commentators or ex Collingwood players. However this will never happen due to the system of media ratings being up whenever Collingwood news is about. It’s a perpetual circle.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:18 pm

The commentators don't bother me, it's their job to try to build excitement so they aren't personally cheerleading when a team starts closing in on us in my view. Even the ones maligned as totally biased such as Dunstall I find usually has good insight and provides good commentary. He's a smart bloke.

I suspect confirmation bias is at play for many people listening, they expect commentators to be biased against Collingwood so notice every instance that could prove them right and ignore the multitude which don't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: