Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our Loose Backline

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Big T wrote:
We will struggle v Lynch and Reiwoldt. Great challenge for the boys.

Well predicted
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:02 pm

Quincy wrote:
piedys wrote:
Hey I know - let's drop Madgen; that will fix everything...

Yes we discovered today that Moore is a worse defender than Magden.

I have NEVER seen Moore play a worse game than that, EVER. Absolutely insipid.
He's got a full blown case of Contractivitus, no doubt about it.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:37 pm

piedys wrote:
Quincy wrote:
piedys wrote:

I am bewildered by Darcy's current lapse in form. Sometimes, he appears not even to be concentrating on where his man is, let alone getting next to him. I suggested a couple of reasons in the post-game thread as to why this might be happening and there was a third I thought about putting forward. It was this!!!! (Surely though, there couldn't be another case of it??)

Actually, there could be a fourth. Darcy is trying to tell McFly that he doesn't want to play back any more, but wants to be a full time forward, like he was for a quarter the other week. Laughing
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:57 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Actually, there could be a fourth. Darcy is trying to tell McFly that he doesn't want to play back any more, but wants to be a full time forward, like he was for a quarter the other week. Laughing

yep two goals against Brisbane, but zero contested marks inside F50, an no Mihocek available to take the other defender away that night.

But we can't have opposition KPFs help themselves to 5 1st half goals like today, whilst he effectively spectated the feat; absolutely unacceptable on every level for the coin he demanded - and evidently got.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:15 pm

Is it a "lapse in form", though - or is this just his level? He plays a couple of blindingly good games a season, generally against poor opposition. Like many other players, he has physical attributes that let him shine against certain teams/players but I just wonder whether Collingwood has made the classic mistake of paying overs on a contract because we think he's a much better player than he really is.

Sometimes you just have to see the 28 disposal, 19 mark game against North Melbourne for what it is - tearing it up against hopeless opposition. On average, he's a low-disposal-count player (8 kicks, 4 handballs) who doesn't take that many marks (5 on average), most weeks. Over his career, he averages fewer kicks, fewer handballs, fewer tackles, fewer inside 50s, fewer contested possessions, fewer uncontested possessions and fewer than two-thirds as many effective disposals as Tom Langdon did. And, over their careers, they each average 5.3 marks per game. If anyone had suggested we contract The (Then) Future Captain for $800,000 a year we would have laughed at them. Moore plainly has better physical attributes for the game than most other players but he only seldom plays up to his gifts.
orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:27 pm
Post subject: our loose backlineReply with quote

piedys wrote:
Quincy wrote:
piedys wrote:

And everyone bags Madgen but Moore escapes the wrath.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:52 pm

Our backline is like the elastic in your pants that has just broken,and. all we have now is our pants around our knees.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Is it a "lapse in form", though - or is this just his level? He plays a couple of blindingly good games a season, generally against poor opposition. Like many other players, he has physical attributes that let him shine against certain teams/players but I just wonder whether Collingwood has made the classic mistake of paying overs on a contract because we think he's a much better player than he really is.

Sometimes you just have to see the 28 disposal, 19 mark game against North Melbourne for what it is - tearing it up against hopeless opposition. On average, he's a low-disposal-count player (8 kicks, 4 handballs) who doesn't take that many marks (5 on average), most weeks. Over his career, he averages fewer kicks, fewer handballs, fewer tackles, fewer inside 50s, fewer contested possessions, fewer uncontested possessions and fewer than two-thirds as many effective disposals as Tom Langdon did. And, over their careers, they each average 5.3 marks per game. If anyone had suggested we contract The (Then) Future Captain for $800,000 a year we would have laughed at them. Moore plainly has better physical attributes for the game than most other players but he only seldom plays up to his gifts.

Very interesting stats and a thought-provoking contention .. It will be hard to accept if it does transpire that the club has once again overpaid a player on the basis of one AA season (in Darcy's case). At least there is some captaincy potential involved in the deal, as well as footballing ability.

Every time I watch Ed Langdon controlling his wing for Melbourne and having a strong impact on his team's fortunes, I think of Tom and am sad all over again that he had to retire prematurely.
Quincy 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:13 am

Maybe Moore will take stock after today and work harder. I reckon he would accumulate more stats if he was involved more. He does not by comparison with some other players chase cheap stats. He has generally played deep at both ends of the ground which does not allow this. I think also kicks and hbs by themselves are not the only guage. Some mids have huge stats with low impact. This year I note he is in the top 10 atm of all players, for 1 percenters which means that he is contributing things like spoils and other things you would expect of a defender. Can we trust him as captain?
Quincy 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 1:33 am
Post subject: Re: our loose backlineReply with quote

orie wrote:
And everyone bags Madgen but Moore escapes the wrath.

Poor old Madge. I do think that before he did the knee last year he was pretty consistent and has been for the past few years but today was just pox. Surely he will not be proud of his performance.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:08 am

I said this in the Moore thread, but Lynch's day out was much more than just Darcy, it was a team wide issue. We don't play much man on man, it's very zone based. What it means is that when the pressure is on the opposition midfield, we're good at taking marks from opposition kicks because our players are in position to do so and it suits their games. But when the opposition midfield has time, it's just too easy to spot up open players inside 50.

Even in the first quarter, we played much tighter and gave up no marks inside 50, but we still lost the quarter because we generated zero run ourselves and just kicked long to contests which Richmond won. We just haven't got the balance right yet, but it's an improvement on last year when we sucked and were dead boring.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:15 pm

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/08/cornes-calls-out-collingwood-duo-for-daydreaming-in-defence-against-dominant/

I don't usually agree with Kane Cornes' assessment of Collingwood matters, but I reckon he's made some viable points here.
Of course, Cornes has failed to acknowledge that Darcy did go man on man in the second half (at least as far as stated in the selected quotes).
Quincy 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:55 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/08/cornes-calls-out-collingwood-duo-for-daydreaming-in-defence-against-dominant/

I don't usually agree with Kane Cornes' assessment of Collingwood matters, but I reckon he's made some viable points here.
Of course, Cornes has failed to acknowledge that Darcy did go man on man in the second half (at least as far as stated in the selected quotes).

This was taken from the Channel 9 footy show yesterday and Cornes never said anything about Moore playing closer in the 2nd 1/2 whereas others talking about this did acknowledge that once he played 1 on 1 he broke even.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:59 pm

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/09/is-leaky-collingwood-defence-a-player-or-coaching-issue/

Criticism of Darcy and the backline system is coming from all directions this week. I wonder if we'll see any changes against the Bulldogs.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:12 pm

That article makes perfect sense to me, unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: