Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our Loose Backline

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We all see it differently. I don’t think Moore is a last line defender, made worse by the fact he is being asked to do to much back there. Guard space, give us a launch out of defence and don’t forget to beat your man in the process.
I’m happy to keep my powder dry until Roughead is back ( and not underdone ) and Moore is once again playing further up the ground.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Is it a "lapse in form", though - or is this just his level? He plays a couple of blindingly good games a season, generally against poor opposition. Like many other players, he has physical attributes that let him shine against certain teams/players but I just wonder whether Collingwood has made the classic mistake of paying overs on a contract because we think he's a much better player than he really is.

Sometimes you just have to see the 28 disposal, 19 mark game against North Melbourne for what it is - tearing it up against hopeless opposition. On average, he's a low-disposal-count player (8 kicks, 4 handballs) who doesn't take that many marks (5 on average), most weeks. Over his career, he averages fewer kicks, fewer handballs, fewer tackles, fewer inside 50s, fewer contested possessions, fewer uncontested possessions and fewer than two-thirds as many effective disposals as Tom Langdon did. And, over their careers, they each average 5.3 marks per game. If anyone had suggested we contract The (Then) Future Captain for $800,000 a year we would have laughed at them. Moore plainly has better physical attributes for the game than most other players but he only seldom plays up to his gifts.

You well know that statistically comparing a 200cm Key Defender with a 190cm HBF/3rd tall is apples with oranges.

Moore's career averages are diluted by playing forward for his first few seasons. This year, when he's supposedly playing poorly he's still averaging 6 marks per game, (8 in 2021) and the only game he's taken less than 5 was against Geelong.

The value of a 200cm Key Defender who can play on 200cm Key Forwards is much more than a 190cm 3rd tall.

Jeremy Howe averages 6.4 marks and Jeremy McGovan 6.8. Steven May averages 5.1.

If you want to compare similar players, have a look at Scharenberg and Langdon.

Quincy 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:20 pm

I would not compare Langdon with Moore as half back flankers rack up stats.
Quincy 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:22 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
We all see it differently. I don’t think Moore is a last line defender, made worse by the fact he is being asked to do to much back there. Guard space, give us a launch out of defence and don’t forget to beat your man in the process.
I’m happy to keep my powder dry until Roughead is back ( and not underdone ) and Moore is once again playing further up the ground.

Tend to agree though he played the role ok in the 2nd 1/2 knowing he was in the gun with Lynch running riot early.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 pm

So, should we pay him $400,00 a year because he's adequate in second halves?
Quincy wrote:
I would not compare Langdon with Moore as half back flankers rack up stats.

It's an unfair comparison, of course - Moore has never had a 24 disposal, 13 mark, 6 spoil game in a preliminary final playing out of position in the place of some other bloke who is always injured and can't get on the park - and it's pretty clear he's never going to.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:08 pm

No, but he did have a 25 disposal 15 mark game against Port Adelaide in round 10 last year to go with his 28 disposals and 19 marks against Norf in round 8.

If langdon was fit and still playing, the only player he could dislodge from our back 6 is madge, possibly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: