Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies 2022 - MacRae's Novus Tempus

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:50 am
Post subject: Pies 2022 - MacRae's Novus TempusReply with quote

As our list stands, in the short term (2022-2023), we have neither the draft capital nor salary cap headroom to shape a multi-year Finals list.

Enter Graham Wright, the most qualified person we can put in the position of List Manager.

It will take 3-4 years before we become regular finals contenders.

The age profile for our list is taking shape, there will be 10 core 22 players hitting 50+ games within 2 years.

Over the next 3 years, we need another 3-6 recruits around the 75-100 game mark.

Recruiting is never easy, maybe we should have shopped Sidey last year before Treloar. Anyway, that's done.

On review of Melbourne's list and re-build, their core 50-159 game players stands at 15.

The targeted recruiting of Lever, Langdon, and May to compliment the youth coming through was inspired. We need to do the same.

To push into the Top 4, a core of 3-6 All Australian Senior or AAU22 is required.

We had the foundations, only to be cruelled by injury of Elliott, Langdon and the basket of ex-players that fell into that category, well the less said the better.

Current AA players

10.Pendlebury (6),22. Sidebottom, 30. Moore, 4. Grundy (2)

Current AAU22 players

3.Quaynor, 7.J. Daicos

Previous AAU22

30.Moore, 2.JDG, 22. Sidebottom (2),5. Elliott,4. Grundy (2)

ex-players

Phillips, Stephenson, T. Langdon (2), Witts, Beams, Treloar

AAU22 Trade Targets

Half-Back ~Trent Rivers Melbourne
Full Back ~Tom McCartin Swans
Full Forward ~Ben King Suns

Future Drafts

Full Back 2022 ~ Top 10 1st pick
CHF 2023 ~ Top 10 1st pick
Full Forward ~ 2024 Top 10 1st pick
F/S ~ Jett Buckley 2024 draft

Coaching Panel

Head coach

· Craig McRae

Assistant coaches

· Hayden Skipworth (forwards)

· Justin Leppitsch (head of strategy and backline)

· Brendon Bolton (director of coaching and midfield)

· Mark 'The Russian" Jamar (ruck)

Off-field / list management

· Graham Wright (list manager)

· Derek Hine (head recruiter)

· Neville Jetta (development)

· Josh Fraser (head of academy)

· Nick Maxwell (leadership and culture manager)

As for our on-field leadership, I would like to see the following ~

Captain

Pendlebury

Vice-Captain

Moore

Leadership Group

Adams, Howe, Crisp, Grundy, Maynard, Elliott, IQ

2022 and beyond

As we see out 2021 and move into 2022, the list changeup is apparent. It would be dangerous if we bounced too soon.

Integrity of selection must come into the Club. Several senior players have been coasting, with the fresh coaching group I am confident a reset of the groups mind-set will follow and competition for spots lifts the overall standard of the regular starting 22.

The first steps of our rebuild in 2022 should come by solidifying our backline, resurrecting our forward line, while refreshing our Centre line and Rucks.

Backline

While we are undergoing this re-build, we cannot afford to be getting belted by the top sides. As a result, we need to ensure our backline is the foundation to our next push.

Mihocek is a dependable player, however as a key forward he lacks the ability and mobility to turn a match off his own boot. In the pre-season, I would trial him in a backline role, the position which he originally came into the club.

This move also offers to plug a hole should ageing players in Howe (12th season) and Roughead (13th season) succumb to injury.

Madgen is not the answer here, nor fits the age profile for our next push.

Pendlebury (17th season) can be a Mr. Fixit off half-back while rotating through the Centre.

Forwards

Within our forward line as it stands, we have 2 players capable of swinging a match off their own boot in Elliott and JDG.

Sidebottom, McCreery and Ginnivan are the players you want at the feet of Cox, Kreuger and Cameron.

Henry has shown the ability to compete in the air and has already shown he has class and gone ahead of Kelly, who has had a hapless run with injury.

Sidebottom (14th season) and Elliott (10th season) while both now into veteran status, present as 2+ goal game forwards.

Our colts in Kelly, McCreery, and Henry must be afforded blocks of games over this season to better determine their long-term prospects towards our next finals push.

Midfield

Games are won and lost significantly in the centre bounce. We need a re-set in the middle. Grundy is dominant with hit-outs, controlling first use of the ball, but we're too easily beaten in clearance, which comes down to your midfield being able to get the job done.

With JDG slated to spend more time in the midfield, we require a mid-field group with potency forward of the centre.

JDG, Pendlebury and Lipinski remain our best Centre options. Each has a step, polished off either foot and can run defensively and offensively to deliver scoreboard impact.

T. Brown and Finlay Macrae can continue their apprenticeship as future Centres as rotation options.

While many are calling for Crisp and Maynard to be given a run in the middle, they are straight-line runners, better suited to the backline.

22 for 2022 (number, age Round1, games, height, weight)

B 3. Quaynor (22,35,180cm,84kg); 41. Mihocek (28,79,192cm,97kg); 25.Crisp (28,175,190cm,90kg)

HB 37. Maynard (25,138,189cm,93kg); 30. Moore (26,102, 203cm,100kg);38. Howe (31,195,190cm,85kg)

C 7. JDaicos (23,52,178cm,77kg);10. Pendlebury (34, 334,191cm,90kg) 35. NDaicos (19,0,183cm,73kg)

R 4. Grundy (27,171,203cm,108kg); 13. Adams (28,134,181cm,84kg); 2.JDG (26,118,188cm,92kg);

HF 20. Kelly (21,3,194cm,93kg); 14. Cameron (26,20,204cm,101kg);5. Elliott (29,136,178cm,79kg)

F 31. McCreery (20,13,186cm,83kg);15. Kreuger (22,2,196cm,88kg);16. Henry (19,10,189cm,80kg)

INT 22. Sidebottom (31,264,184cm,84kg); 1. Lipinski (23,54,187cm,84kg); 18. MacRae (20,9,187cm,81kg); 6.T. Brown (22,16,192cm,88kg)

**EMG**

23.Roughead (31,200, 200cm,100kg); 32.WHE (28,157,186cm, 82kg); 28. Murphy (22,17,192cm,89kg); 17. C. Brown (23,64,179cm,80kg); 33. Ginnivan (19,5,184cm,78kg); 8. Bianco (21,12, 188cm,73kg); 24. Poulter (19,11,193cm,80kg); 9.Noble (25, 44, 180,73kg); 44. Madgen (29, 40,192cm,98kg); 46. Cox (31,76,211cm,109kg). 43. Charlie Dean (20,195cm,95kg)

**Draftees**

19. Arlo Draper (19,186cm,75kg); 27. Cooper Murley (18,178cm,70kg); 35. Nick Daicos (19,0,183cm,73kg); 36.Harvey Harrison (18,178cm,70kg); 43. Charlie Dean (20,195cm,95kg)

Floreat Pica

NB - view is none of Cox, Elliott, WHE, Howe, Madgen, Mihocek, Pendlebury, Roughead, Sidebottom will be on our list come 2024, when our next Finals push is likely to occur over the 2024-26 seasons, then consolidating into a Top 4 spot over 2027-28.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:11 pm; edited 9 times in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good and interesting opinion to ponder on. Mostly agree. However I tend to differ in opinion to most here on Magden. I think he has become the mandatory Nick’s current whipping boy and this influences opinions. He is nowhere as bad a player as he is made out to be and under the new coaching environment, I can see him being supported and given confidence to play a specific and important stopping role that will suit him.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:57 am

^ He'll turn 31 in early 2024.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:07 am

If he cements a role, I can see him playing for at least two more seasons.
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:28 am

Silly question, is Rantall still on the list? I thought i saw he was delisted?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:21 pm

Once the VFL is back in its entirety and you have hungry youngsters applying selection pressure from underneath, it “ should “ all come together.
First we need to see a body of work from the kids and then the seniors will feel the competition for their spots breathing down their collective necks.
Competition from below still remains the best way to guarantee a senior player to work hard both on the track and during the game. We haven’t had that for a year or two and once players realise finals are out of reach, many of them just go through the motions. I would be confident of an overall lift in intensity in 2022.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:52 pm

derkd wrote:

Good pick-up. He's been de-listed. Amended post.

Who do you think will emerge from our recent drafts to cement their spot?
I thought Henry is one that has a lot of blue sky ahead of him.

I see Bianco is now listed as 188cm (unless it's a typo). That's 10cm on when he was first drafted.

Also, I reckon Cal Brown might just step up and push Taylor Adams for the Rover position. Cal has clearly put the work into getting his carcass ready ahead of next season. As he moves into his 11th season, Adams injury toll might be a catalyst here.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:56 pm

Anybody know anything of Jett in terms of ability?
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:04 pm

dalyc wrote:
Anybody know anything of Jett in terms of ability?

Nothing 'written'. Might have to get some track watchers down to Toorak Park.

http://maps.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=197529578&client=0-4901-82153-450527-25967708

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:14 pm

Lazza wrote:
If he cements a role, I can see him playing for at least two more seasons.

That would mean 2022 and 2023. My point was that the OP expressed the view that:
Quote:
NB - view is none of Cox, Elliott, WHE, Howe, Madgen, Mihocek, Pendlebury, Roughead, Sidebottom will be on our list come 2024, when our next Finals push is likely to occur
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:33 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
derkd wrote:

I see Bianco is now listed as 188cm (unless it's a typo). That's 10cm on when he was first drafted.

Also, I reckon Cal Brown might just step up and push Taylor Adams for the Rover position. Cal has clearly put the work into getting his carcass ready ahead of next season. As he moves into his 11th season, Adams injury toll might be a catalyst here.

Of our newbies the most promising to me were Ginnivan, Henry, Bianco and Poulter. Hopefully all four keep improving while most of the others will get their opportunities. One of the draftees (forget who) said that it doesn't matter what position on the draft chart you got recruited because you all start the same at the beginning of the season. For us to move back up the ladder we need a high success rate from that roughly half the list we've turned over in the last couple of years. Some of them with good coaching will come along in leaps and bounds while others will fall away. Not every recruit will succeed. You only have to look at someone like Rantall who most people said was showing great improvement at the end of 2021. Since I don't have a crystal ball I don't know which ones will make it and who won't. All I know is that if our best team from 2021 is still our best team from 2022 then we have serious problems with our list management.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Our continuing weakness is our lack of quality KPPs. Maybe Begg and Kelly will prove to be great players for us, but so far we are yet to see Begg and Kelly has had trouble remaining uninjured. We have a host of midfield options, but having to rely on the ageing Roughead and the adequate Cameron leaves us exposed for big man talent.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Our continuing weakness is our lack of quality KPPs. Maybe Begg and Kelly will prove to be great players for us, but so far we are yet to see Begg and Kelly has had trouble remaining uninjured. We have a host of midfield options, but having to rely on the ageing Roughead and the adequate Cameron leaves us exposed for big man talent.

I generally agree, but we have taken some steps to address that.

McMahon
Johnson
Kreuger and
Dean are all unknowns at this stage.

We also have Wilson at 194 and whichever of the Irishmen is still here as potential KPD's.

The cupboard is not as full as I would like, but it's not necessarily empty

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:47 pm

It’s games of senior footy under your belt which improves your ability to compete in the field. These guys all show potential but until you pump senior games of footy into them you can’t expect them to be able to compete against seasoned veterans from opposition clubs.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:35 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
derkd wrote:

The discrepancy in Biancos height has been discussed before. I would be very confident it’s a typo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: