Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Dogs. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Beanie wrote:
Any decision will of course be made at season send.

But Cal Brown has been given time, he has shown he is better than VFL not good enough for AFL. Can get the ball but not a good decision maker.

Tyler Brown is still a WIP so he still has time to show what he can offer.

Sadly, its looking more like the above as every few weeks roll on.

When picturing the future, I try to imagine them both fitter and stronger. In Callum’s case, I still don’t see him making much more of an impact with those allowances anyway, particularly while Adams remains available to play. Tyler, on the other hand, should not only get to more contests but he will likely win more of them also as a bigger body. He’s a better decision maker and that should also improve as he gets used to the tempo. Given the Dogs pressure last night, Tyler wasn’t our worst by a long way.
Callum is playing because the cupboard is bare and despite what people may want to think, we have more chance of winning with Callum being selected than playing one short. He’s been lucky to hold his spot but given what’s left in the VFL today, who should have taken his place ??
McInnes is playing in the forward half in the VFL and Finlay MacRae did have his half of footy in the seniors last night and didn’t do a lot. Bianco came and went and Harrison was totally rested for some reason. Poulter got his chance and he too, was also underwhelming.
In short, if we didn’t have any injuries, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:56 pm

Anybody thinking that Poulter and MaCrae can come into the team for their first game of the season against a team that played off in the grand final last year and play well, just isn't a realist. Players need time to find their feet, preferably against teams that are in the same ballpark as us. Only a handful of players are as good as Nick Daicos, who can play good footy from their first game of AFL footy. Poulter and MaCrae will be better for the run. Both are second year players. Keep playing them in my view. If the consensus is Callum Brown isn't up to than that is one spot that opens up. Madgen requiring shoulder surgery opens up another spot. At some point McInnes will make a return and I have high hopes for Harrison. Give Tyler Brown more games. You need a strong stomach to follow the team in the current circumstances. At no point last night did we drop our bundle. The players are doing their best. The coaches are doing their best to bring the best out of the team. As supporters we need to keep giving the team all the support they need to improve. Improvement will follow. Rome wasn't built in a day.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:56 pm

dp.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:02 pm

Big Cox 47 hitouts and bog. Will come in.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
This may have been covered but I haven't read the venting ehh I mean thread but I just wanted to shout out to Henry.

The most difficult part of being a mid size forward is getting the ball. He can do that. He didn't get many if any cheap possessions, he put himself in good positions and earned them.

Yeah his finishing was right off but that will come good with self belief and practice. 200 gamer in the making.

yep i agree s m. he is playing on instinct and thats what i love about him, in fact thats what i want to see in any young footy player, its all you can judge a player on thats starting out.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:04 pm

DP
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:09 pm

Big T wrote:

VFL standard is shit. Heck, Callum Brown dominates the VFL
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:13 pm

Big T wrote:

But Bulldogs won the clearances in the VFL.
Cox was getting some of the ball but it was the VFL listed players that won the Pies the game.

And the gap b/w VFL and AFL is still big.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:28 pm

Lazza wrote:
Born to Pie wrote:
We are rebuilding, patience is required because there is no quick fix.

A lot of this stuff was posted before the season because it was stating the obvious. I find it curious that Collingwood supporters still need to be told the above information. Surely they didn’t expect to make the finals this season? I’m very happy to sit back and watch the rebuild with realistic expectations of results and observe the development of future stars. That’ll do me fine.

My thoughts exactly, time an patience.we are in for the long haul in a total re build, under a new Coach, new gameplan. Yeh injuries are killing us, sure they had a couple out too, but ours were more significant. Imagine the forward line with both Ginnivan and Elliott, maybe Krueger up there, and if Henry had got a few of those soda goals he missed, be a whole new ball game. To quote Barassi, " Injuries are not an excuse, they are a reason. " so said the great man. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:49 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Sensei Grundy wrote:
Playing one Brown brother is like playing with one less player. Playing two is a guaranteed loss.

Give it up, clown. Maybe tell us about your footy history for something different. At least the posts would be shorter.

Wasn’t it Walsh from Essendon who was said to have played the worst first 50 games for Essendon than any other player? It was Walsh and Kevin Sheedy who had the last laugh when Walsh ended up a premiership player. A couple of ours would be Toovey and Gayfer. The point is players take time and develop at different rates. Callum could stay the same he is or come on as a player any time. It only takes one game for it to click. No one knows the answer to that. McRae doesn’t know the answer and none of us do either. Time will tell.

Tom Hawkins springs to mind as another player that seemed to have 4 seasons showing us he was no good (from memory the Cats had no other big forwards) but there is little doubt he has become a great player. Not everyone gets that many chances - but as some posters have been highlighting it takes time. Was interesting to hear the coach talk about him having more belief in some individuals than they have in themselves. Speaks to how hard it is to come into for league and feel like your good enough. Such a contrast between Ginnivan and Henry (for example) in respect of their confidence and belief.

I guess ideally you would be blooding a couple young guys each season, but because of where we find ourselves we have to go through that “first 50 games” period with a lot of players at once.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:53 pm

Correct weight Piesnchess but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Annoying as hell but nothing we can do but feel frustrated that we are losing to teams we would easily beat with our best team 😩 Oh well 🙄

Last edited by Lazza on Sat May 14, 2022 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
piffdog 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:57 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Watch Hawthorn and their forward line to fully realise how far off this club is right now.

Big forwards who can clunk the rock.

Until we draft and / or trade for competent bigs we’re masquerading as a real AFL club.

^^ I think you’re right. The more we watch our young guys try to find their feet the more I look at our list (compared to other clubs) and worry about our drafting and recruitment. We seem to have a lot of 185cm could-be midfielders and not much else. I can’t see the obvious key position players anywhere in our squad.

The hawks in particular could (on paper at least) be much closer to another flag than we are.

This brings me to another question we should consider. Does the club’s approach to recontracting JDG depend on how low we finish on the ladder?? If we finish 16th - I assume we would get pick 3 and then pick 4 as compensation. In that situation do we let him walk? If (and it’s a big if…) we finish 10th, we get pick 8 and then 9 as our compo and we try to keep him…

piffdog 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:01 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Anybody thinking that Poulter and MaCrae can come into the team for their first game of the season against a team that played off in the grand final last year and play well, just isn't a realist. Players need time to find their feet, preferably against teams that are in the same ballpark as us. Only a handful of players are as good as Nick Daicos, who can play good footy from their first game of AFL footy. Poulter and MaCrae will be better for the run. Both are second year players. Keep playing them in my view. If the consensus is Callum Brown isn't up to than that is one spot that opens up. Madgen requiring shoulder surgery opens up another spot. At some point McInnes will make a return and I have high hopes for Harrison. Give Tyler Brown more games. You need a strong stomach to follow the team in the current circumstances. At no point last night did we drop our bundle. The players are doing their best. The coaches are doing their best to bring the best out of the team. As supporters we need to keep giving the team all the support they need to improve. Improvement will follow. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Great post. Best one I have read this season. *clapping emoji*

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:04 pm

piffdog wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Watch Hawthorn and their forward line to fully realise how far off this club is right now.

Until we draft and / or trade for competent bigs we’re masquerading as a real AFL club.

^^ I think you’re right. The more we watch our young guys try to find their feet the more I look at our list (compared to other clubs) and worry about our drafting and recruitment. We seem to have a lot of 185cm could-be midfielders and not much else. I can’t see the obvious key position players anywhere in our squad.

The hawks in particular could (on paper at least) be much closer to another flag than we are.

This brings me to another question we should consider. Does the club’s approach to recontracting JDG depend on how low we finish on the ladder?? If we finish 16th - I assume we would get pick 3 and then pick 4 as compensation. In that situation do we let him walk? If (and it’s a big if…) we finish 10th, we get pick 8 and then 9 as our compo and we try to keep him…

I am glad others are seeing this too. While I think we have an excellent coach, I reckon we have a very poor list, and while the coaches will try to extract as much as they can from the list, I think we'll flounder in the bottom half of the ladder for quite a few years.

Our list needs a pretty significant overhaul that is 4-5 years in the making before we are anywhere close to contending.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:13 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:

Yes, yes, yes this is key to our fortunes going forward

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12   

Jump to: