Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Free kick or not?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:10 am
Post subject: Free kick or not?Reply with quote

Controversy about whether a free kick should have been to Prestia during the last second of last night’s game and whether it should have also been a 50 metre penalty. IMO technically it should have been both. Richmond were bloody stiff but cruelly, I just had to have a laugh 😆
Those with very long memories will remember Collingwood losing to North Melbourne in a Night series GF in 1979 when Kerry Good marked the ball many seconds after the final siren because umpire Robinson did not hear it. I remember being totally pissed off 😡 Tommy Hafey was livid but it was a case of the umpire not hearing the siren when it rang and only hearing it after Good had marked the ball 🙄 Another Collingwood bad luck story 😢😪

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If the siren hadnt have gone, it’s a 50. But as the siren had gone, the action was in response to the siren rather than to the whistle.

Sadly, there is no technically argument in the game as unlike most sports, AFL rules are more interpretations than rules.

Rules would be better and would eliminate the problems with deliberate out of bounds, holding the ball etc. we allow umpires to have too much discretion in the game. Rather than officiators, they are decision makers who influence the game.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
If the siren hadnt have gone, it’s a 50. But as the siren had gone, the action was in response to the siren rather than to the whistle.

Sadly, there is no technically argument in the game as unlike most sports, AFL rules are more interpretations than rules.

Rules would be better and would eliminate the problems with deliberate out of bounds, holding the ball etc. we allow umpires to have too much discretion in the game. Rather than officiators, they are decision makers who influence the game.

Of course they do. I have never got the logic of the “umpires don’t influence the result” brigade. Every single decision they make influences the result of the game, including the decisions not to pay free kicks, eg Maynard in the last few minutes of the 2018 GF. My biggest hate is umpiring inconsistency during a game. Having 3 umpires doesn’t help but I totally think that they are needed in the modern game with very quick ball movement by fast players.
Another inconsistent ruling that confuses me is that they pay “deliberate out of bounds” for a player intentionally putting the ball out over the boundary line but in a ruck contest when the ball is thrown in, a ruckman can deliberately punch the ball back out without a free kick to the opposition, and the commentators will say that the team “gained ground”. Go figure 😳

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: