Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who Plays Cricket?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony the magpie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, some great cricketing stories here. I used to play (not very well), for a club in the Ringwod & District Association called Sth Warrandyte. A great little club, very social and they taught me a lot about the game. Get down to Coleman Park and see for yourself if you get the chance.

I now live in Canberra and umpire up in Sydney on weekends. I've done a few ING Cup games and I umpired the Bradman XI match at Bowral a few weeks ago. I was talking to Paul Collingwood between deliveries at square leg in that match, and I asked him if he realised that he shared the same name as our famous Magpies. He said that he knew all about the Pies and that he is playing cricket in Melbourne for Richmond (he reckoned Collingwood CC never offered him enough $$, although he had thought it would be cool being a Collingwood playing for Collingwood!).

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:05 pm

Welcome, Tony. When I did my umpire's exam 75% correct was enough to get a ticket at our local level.

I got 85% so they can always say I'm 15% wrong. Of course some say much worse than that!! I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Lol.

Good to have a first class level umpire in here, m8. Do you hope to do Tests and ODIs?

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:01 pm

ev5 magpie, eva heard of the name shepherdson??

and fradom, yeah it was a little bit of both, but mostly just too happy to get pissed off at the end of the day

footy ROX!

[This message has been edited by couragous cloke (edited 07 February 2003).]
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:04 pm

Can't say I have Couragous Cloke. Where do you play?

################################################
I'm a man, I'ma make a new plan
Time for me to just stand up, and travel new land
Time to really just take matters into my own hands...

EMINEM - 8 MILE ROAD
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:09 pm

nar just a m8 of mine, that plays same league as u, i play for cranbourne 17 1's and cranbourne seniors!

footy ROX!
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:10 pm

nar just a m8 of mine, that plays same league as u, i play for cranbourne 17 1's and cranbourne seniors!

footy ROX!
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:51 am

Hey I play for Ferntree Gully Cricket which belongs to the RDCA

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:23 am

Well I fielded at third man every second over last weekend and boy was it fun, two old men sitting on bench who very much reminded me of the two old men who sit on the balcony in the muppets were giving it to me but yet when we made them collapse and bowled them out the two old men had mysteriously dissapeared.....interesting.

I'm looking forward to round 2 this weekend if they show up.

Fradam Wrote This
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:36 am

Yeah Fradam I fielded all of saturday afternoon as well!!! But not in the deep. Fielded in gully for the whole day we bowled them out for 209.. Should make the runs

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:14 am

Yeah play cricket doing really well this season....averaging about 76 and at a run a ball....although the bowling isn't too good from my 2 year old son and the wicket keeping skills of my 4 year old daughter are atrocious (missed plenty of stumping opportunities this season and has a real hard time catching the ball)

My worst shot was sending the ball for a classic six and out over the next door neighbours fence where a rather nasty rotwieller is currently keeping our only ball under close guard, thus ending the cricket season early for us. There was a bit of controversy when we had Daryl Hair come into umpire and called my 2 year old for throwing..but due to my son spiting the dummy and complaining so much and after exhausting bowling action and medical testing(apparently he does not even know the difference between a bowl and a throw as he is unable to comprehend words yet) he was cleared of throwing and has vowed to spit the dummy everytime he is called for a no ball thus he will never be called again and Daryl Hair is no longer welcome in our backyard.

Looking forward to next season when the bowling attack finally can roll the arm over, sick of this chappell style under arm roll along the ground stuff, lucky I am smarter than the average New Zealand cricketer and know if a delivery is bowled under arm along the ground then the batsman is allowed to stop the ball with his bat, toss it in the air and hit it....my average has never been better.

cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)

[This message has been edited by Northern Pie (edited 11 February 2003).]
Tony the magpie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:49 pm

Magfan8 - Thanks for the welcome. I only got 82% on my first umpire exam, so you've got the wood on me. I'd love to do a Test or ODI, it would be very cool. It's a goal of mine, but it seems a long way off at present. There's a lot of politics in first class umpiring, but I'll keep trying.

In the meantime, I'm just happy to focus on the Pies in the off-season.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:05 am

LD still turns out for the mighty London Poly, usually reserving his best performances for the Devon Tour in August, where he leads averages and aggregates in alcohol consumtion, hotel room destruction and all round anti social behavbiour!!!

[This message has been edited by London Dave (edited 14 February 2003).]
donuts 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:11 am

Yeah i used to play cricket and am hopefull of getting back to it next season. I had spinal surgery to remove a prolapsed disc pushing on my siatic never causing heaps of pain. Also had bone cut off as well.
I played for werribee centrals in the Williamstown league(WDCA).
I used to play juniors at werribee cricket club but all the seniors are a bunch of tossers so i played my senior seasons at centals. Does anyone else play in the WDCA.
Couragous Cloke, how is the cranbourne league. I used to live there until i was about 6 and still have family over that way in KeeweeRup and Pakhanam and family freinds in cranbourne.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:42 pm

Well after over 24 hours of waiting the result of the cricket match I played Saturday has finally been resolved. I had the wonderful honour of batting 11 and walking to the crease with us 1 run behind. Blocked out 5 balls to end the over hoping the established batsman who was batting very well would do the job. Next over a ball flicked his thigh and was given out caught behind. I'm feeling pretty down, there was at least one ball i should've put away for runs the over before. Trudge off the ground. When i get back to rooms find that the scorers had counted wrong and that infact we'd won the game by a run. Just got confirmation of the result tonight.

One strange game of cricket but a win's a win and we'll take it.

Fradam Wrote This
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:05 am

We played last Satuday and Sunday in the First-Semi final and batted 70 overs on Saturday setting the 1st placed team 231 to chase on Sunday. I had a dissapointing day only making 1.
Sunday we started superbly and at the 20 over mark, we had them in trouble at 1/39, they struggled from then on, and colapsed to 5/74 by tea at 36 overs. We ended up eventually bowling the out for 140. I had a much better day grabbing 1/5 off 3 overs and taking catch of the day at 1st slip.
We now look forward to a week off, then the GRAND FINAL next weekend.

Gobbles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: